Off Topic Messages

Sat May 03, 2003 2:04 pm

All records of my tenure as governor of Texas have been spirited away to my fathers library, sealed in secrecy and un-available for public view.
Those all-important records will be kept safe in my hometown at TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY, yeeeee haw!

Bob, that list is laughable for so many reasons. I'm glad you care so much about baseball, Houston, Texas and the good ol U. S. of A. (because I haven't watched a baseball game in 9 years)

September 11th created a hardship or two for our economy, to blame those problems on Bush is either stupid or ignorant.

Bush's ranch in Texas has ulta-modern tele-conferencing equipment, when he is there it is not "a vacation", the White House just moves south a few miles.

Houston has never been Texas' finest city, just its largest. The smog in Houston did not increase during George Bush's governorship, L.A.'s "smog levels" just went down at a faster rate than Houston's, which have also gone down.
George Bush was the first Texas governor EVER to win reelection to a consecutive four-year term. He beat the beloved ANN RICHARDS, who was nationally famous for her big mouth and idiotic speeches at Democratic National Conventions.
As for the Sammy Sosa trade, here is a portion of his biography:
"In 1989, Sosa's first year in the Major Leagues, he had a tough season. He batted .238 and hit only 1 home run in 84 at bats. During that season, Sosa was sent to the minor leagues several times and finally traded to the Chicago White Sox (AL) later on that same season, Marty Scott (former general manager of the Texas Rangers) now says "That's my only regret" referring to the trade of Sosa.
Sosa's development was a slow process. He struggled during his 3 year stay as a Chicago White Sox just averaging .240 in batting average along with 9 home run per season and many strike outs. The Chicago White Sox sent Sosa back to the minor leagues for a short stay, then was traded to the Chicago Cubs in 1992. Sosa was determined to prove everyone wrong. He wants to provided for his family and he knew that the only way he was going to do that was to stay in the Major Leagues and get a big multi-million dollar contract. Baseball was all that Sammy knew and he worked extremely hard on perfecting his game and his swing to assure himself no more trips to the minor leagues.
Almost instantly thereafter Sosa's baseball career turned around.
In his first full year (1993) as a Cub, Sosa slammed 33 home runs, knocked in 93 RBI's and was on his way to becoming an All-Star."

Had Sammy not had those hardships, he might have never had reach the highs he has reached.

Rendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.

Man, you are giving Bush more credit than he is due. I WISH he had made that joke of an organization irrelevant, but the U.N. itself beat him to it.

Signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution than any president in US history.

I'm sorry, but the last time I read MY Constitution a presidents signature is not even involved with the creation of an Amendment and the last Amendment occured in 1992. If you are saying an executive order "changed" the Constitution in practice then I have a feeling that the ACLU would have had a little something to say about that.
With a policy of 'dis-engagement' created the most hostile Israeli-Palestine relations in at least 30 years.

Bush has called for Israel and a future PALESTINE to live together in peace. In the next year, I gurantee the region will be on a path to acomplish just that.
In a little over two years created the most divided country in decades, possibly the most divided the US has ever been since the civil war.

That's why over 70% of our nation favored the war in Iraq, I guess...

As a wise man one said: "There are only two things I hate; those who are intolerant of other people's cultures...
...and the Dutch."

Hey at least the Dutch blood in me gives me the urge to dip my freedom fries in mayonaise, so all is not lost. Yummy.

Tootles!

The U.S. should just mind its own business, they cause infrastructure to be torn down all over the world...

Don't blame me, I'm going to vote for AL

Sat May 03, 2003 2:41 pm

Scotch,

I'm glad you (like you always do) can take this subject with a smile.
And I love your quote about the Dutch from 'Austin Powers'.

I am not against the US people in general, not at all, and you know that. I'm just "against the regime" (another Walker quote).
Many great Americans are high on my list: Woody Guthrie, Abe, Martin Luther King and ... oh yeah ... Presley!

By the way, it is true that you used to call your freedom fries 'french fries' until recently? LOL

Have you heard Mellencamp's latest (out in early june)?
http://www.mellencamp.com/news/old_news ... ington.mp3
But we better be careful now, and not get banned from this Board! It's thin ice, we're skating on.

Bob

Sat May 03, 2003 2:50 pm

They are still french fries, I highly doubt anyone actually uses the term "freedom fries", but it made a good news story.

...and you know I love the Dutch. Tulips, windmills, Col. Parker... :twisted:

Bob, you were trying to break the ice, you even said it! This thread will drop down in a day or two. I'll be adding some lighthearted topics to the "off-topic" area, so hopefully FECC will just let this silly thread go bye-bye natually. I enjoy this new board and don't want them to feel like they must babysit us like on the old board.

Mon May 05, 2003 4:37 am

It's threads like this that make me glad to be British. We just whine quietly to ourselves about how bad we think Tony Blair is as a Prime Minister, but when the next election comes around we all vote him in anyway because it's safer that way.

But the problems facing the Dixie Chicks at the moment only serves to highlight one of the most sensible things that Elvis ever did, which was not to make any political statements of any kind. At least, not to my knowledge he didn't. I find it quite sad when the likes of Michael Moore go mouthing off at the Oscars when all everyone wants to do is win awards, act surprised and show off their Versace.

The problem with entertainers thinking that they know about politics is that nobody takes them seriously. Think of it the other way around; it would be as bad as - let's see - Bill Clinton playing the saxophone. How seriously do we take that?

Mon May 05, 2003 9:09 am

"I find it quite sad when the likes of Michael Moore go mouthing off ... "

Here in the States it's called the "First Amendment."

I suspect you have not seen "Bowling For Columbine" -- otherwise your statement is simply ignorant.

It's much more pathetic to "suffer" in silence -- when one dislikes the individual/s handling their government -- instead of getting off their arse and doing something about it.

Me? I cannot wait for election year 2004 in the US. "Junior" is going to be a one-termer like his daddy -- if I can have anything to do with it.

God bless!

Mon May 05, 2003 12:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here in the States it's called the "First Amendment."
What Michael Moore did at the Acadamy Awards is also called "mouthing off" here in the U.S. and I have seen Bowling For Columbine, Roger & Me and even watched Moore's short-lived TV series. He is a good filmmaker, but it speaks volumes that even the Hollywood crowd booed the man.

Mon May 05, 2003 2:26 pm

Here in the States it's called the "First Amendment."

No it isn't, it's called mouthing off.

I suspect you have not seen "Bowling For Columbine" -- otherwise your statement is simply ignorant.

I have seen it. What's that got to do with the price of fish?

It's much more pathetic to "suffer" in silence -- when one dislikes the individual/s handling their government -- instead of getting off their arse and doing something about it.

I notice that he still took his "Oscar".

Me? I cannot wait for election year 2004 in the US. "Junior" is going to be a one-termer like his daddy -- if I can have anything to do with it.

I'm sure he will. George Bush is even more dangerous to his country than Ronald Reagan, and that's saying something. But that's not my point. My point is that those who have made great speeches in the past, Martin Luther King for example, didn't do them at the Oscars like some spoiled student.