Topic author

springsteen should stuff it

Post by Guest »

Here we go again,another liberal entertainer "instructing" us how
to act.Bruce Springsteen(BS for short) on his web site scolding
us for taking the dixie chicks to task.
He says their right to free speech has somehow been denied.Well tough
cookies BS!There are consequences to all of our actions.If I go to
my job and make derrogatory racial remarks,I will have to suffer the consequenses.Same with the D.Cs.Personally,I was against the war,
but there is a right way and wrong way to go about making a
statement.They could have simply stated they were against the war,
and very little would have happened.But to show disrespect for the
president was uncalled for.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

We need to be careful here JB or this thread can quickly turn political and get deleted. On the one hand, I strongly disliked what Natalie Maines' said and how & where she said it. But on the other hand I have to support her right to say what she said, no matter how much I may dislike what she said and disagree with her viewpoint. One thing that is really troubling me is that it seems the Dixie Chicks are becoming demonized over this issue! People are even holding rallys to publicly stomp on there cd's! This kind of activity comes a little too close to the Nazi book burning for my liking. I think this may have been Springsteen's point!

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Pete Dube wrote:We need to be careful here JB or this thread can quickly turn political and get deleted. On the one hand, I strongly disliked what Natalie Maines' said and how & where she said it. But on the other hand I have to support her right to say what she said, no matter how much I may dislike what she said and disagree with her viewpoint. One thing that is really troubling me is that it seems the Dixie Chicks are becoming demonized over this issue! People are even holding rallys to publicly stomp on there cd's! This kind of activity comes a little too close to the Nazi book burning for my liking. I think this may have been Springsteen's point!
The people who are stomping on their CDs and whatever have every right to do that.BS has every right to say what he said.And you and I have every right to say what we say.
The point is,Springsteen and others have tried to make it seem like the government is setting this up.Let me put this another way;the same people who are rushing to defend the DCs were absoloutly silent when the homos tried to get Dr. Lauras show cancelled.Their seems to be a slight double standard.

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

"liberals", "homo's" Well, I guess we know what jb stands for: Jeb Bush.

Tom

jeffreyjames

Post by jeffreyjames »

A very hearty LOL!

jeff R

sam

Post by sam »

I agree that everyone has the right to say what they like. People have the right to react to what they say. Therefore people should think about what they say and be happy to suffer the consequences. :lol:

R.I.P 01-24-08

In memory of everyones favorite Elvis friend: Sam

From the Members of the FECC FORUM
& The FECC Team

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

I think whoever thought up the idea we should have an off topic board should stuff it, it only lets this kind of stupidity to blossom.

genesim

Post by genesim »

Hey Kylan that is a little harsh ain't it. I think the off topic board is great. Though the political debate is against the rules. Until its deleted though, I fully show support for the DC cd stomping parties. Sadly, it is really mor promotion for them!

genesim

Post by genesim »

Freedom of speech...absolutely. Freedom to also take serious reprocussions.

scotch

Post by scotch »

I was going to refrain from this thread, but a stupid comment has been made and I will not let it go. (thank you Tom for pointing it out)

Before I get to that, let me first state that I disagree with the Ditsy Chicks and I have the right to stomp on their CD's, even burn them if I want to. No GOVERNMENT is silencing the Chicks, it is the people. Using a steamroller might be a bit silly, but so is equating that spectacle to Nazi GOVERNMENT-sponsored book burnings.

That said, jb, your statement concerning "homos" was very ignoarant and narrow-minded. I'm sorry, but saying that "homos" tried to silence Dr. Laura is about the stupidist thing I have heard. Just because the left-wing organization GLAAD was against Dr. Laura does not mean there was some "homo" conspiracy to silence her. I listen to Dr. Laura quite a bit and often enjoy her show, but she was just whining when she said she was being "attacked", just like some are whining that the Chicks are being "attacked". Both Laura and the Chicks were wrong to try to solicit sympathy and need to grow up and realize that when you say something people don't like, others have a right to speak against you and yes even write to businesses that sponsor radio shows/concert tours and threaten to boycott and/or protest those sponsors. The sponsors in turn have a right to listen to the CONSUMERS and then pull out of sponsorship agreements that might harm their sales, sales that they were attempting to increase by their support of the entertainers. Radio stations also have a right to listen to the people's requests that songs NOT be played by the chicks and have a right to decide if they weant to carry the Dr. Laura show or not.

As for this thread, jb, you need to read the guidelines of this web site which include not having political debates and no personal attacks.

FECC has not had to delete a thread yet, and I hope they go ahead and KEEP this one. Now that you know the rules, jb, I'm sure you won't attempt to start another political debate, will you?

Topic author

Post by Guest »

scotch wrote:I was going to refrain from this thread, but a stupid comment has been made and I will not let it go. (thank you Tom for pointing it out)

Before I get to that, let me first state that I disagree with the Ditsy Chicks and I have the right to stomp on their CD's, even burn them if I want to. No GOVERNMENT is silencing the Chicks, it is the people. Using a steamroller might be a bit silly, but so is equating that spectacle to Nazi GOVERNMENT-sponsored book burnings.

That said, jb, your statement concerning "homos" was very ignoarant and narrow-minded. I'm sorry, but saying that "homos" tried to silence Dr. Laura is about the stupidist thing I have heard. Just because the left-wing organization GLAAD was against Dr. Laura does not mean there was some "homo" conspiracy to silence her. I listen to Dr. Laura quite a bit and often enjoy her show, but she was just whining when she said she was being "attacked", just like some are whining that the Chicks are being "attacked". Both Laura and the Chicks were wrong to try to solicit sympathy and need to grow up and realize that when you say something people don't like, others have a right to speak against you and yes even write to businesses that sponsor radio shows/concert tours and threaten to boycott and/or protest those sponsors. The sponsors in turn have a right to listen to the CONSUMERS and then pull out of sponsorship agreements that might harm their sales, sales that they were attempting to increase by their support of the entertainers. Radio stations also have a right to listen to the people's requests that songs NOT be played by the chicks and have a right to decide if they weant to carry the Dr. Laura show or not.

As for this thread, jb, you need to read the guidelines of this web site which include not having political debates and no personal attacks.

FECC has not had to delete a thread yet, and I hope they go ahead and KEEP this one. Now that you know the rules, jb, I'm sure you won't attempt to start another political debate, will you?
Scotch;
Took your post ti heart,and realize that my message was way off key.My intent was not to start a political debate,but rather a statement of regret that as compared to Elvis,many entertainers dont know when to shut up.As I said,my intent wasnt to start a political debate,but I dont blame anyone for thinking that.And,I truly regret the homo statement,and anyone
offended by this remark will,I hope,accept my apology.
As for the liberal remark,no,jb dosent stand for Jeb Bush(good shot,Tom).
Im a centrist democrat,and was against the damn war from the beggining.
Im no "Bushie",but feel that many stars hurt the peace movement by their sometimes silly statements.
Again,please forgive a hurried,and not well thought out thread,as thats where the problems started.Thanks and God bless.

Tom in North Carolina

Scotch,
You are right on the money with your assessment. Thank you!!

Kylan,
As usual, you are real bucket of chuckles and quite the ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary day. Could you be any more negative??? So, you would rather have this off topic stuff right in the middle of the regular board? I, for one, am very thankful for FECC having this section and, despite your perky personality, look forward to seeing what others have to say about "off topic" stuff from time to time.

jb,
Welcome back to the flock. We were worried about you there for awhile.

Finally,
Does anyone actually think that the DC's care if their CD's are being stomped, runover by a steamroller, or used for skeet shooting? Of course they don't. Why??, Because they are already paid for. They and the record company already have their money so why would they give a crap what you do with them after you buy them. This has always amazed me. As Genesim said above "sadly, it is really more promotion for them!" Exactly right.

Tom

Kylan

To Tom!

Post by Kylan »

"as usual, a real bucket of chuckles" lol that was good Tom! made me chuckle actually, laughed pretty good! lol ahhh Tom Tom Tom, going back to being a pick and chooser again? hehehe u did get that explanation of what a pick and chooser is right? I explained on the old mb. If u didnt get it, ill be happy to go over it again! :wink:

Tom in North Carolina

Well, I'm afraid you are going to have to enlighten me, once again, as to what a "pick and chooser" is. You see, on this board, just like the old one, I try to avoid reading your posts as they are so damned depressing. Have you ever been happy about anything??? I thought that we had gotten you to loosen up a bit, but I guess that didn't last.

Tom (pick and chooser)

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

Ok this is it! a pick and chooser like yourself is someone who picks a post where I have to get ugly on that rare occasion lol and on that post alone without looking at all the other ones ive made on the all elvis side and the ones on here too and branding me as a bucket of chuckles and never happy, always negative! not fair Tom!!! u will work on doing better wont ya? :)

Tom in North Carolina

Oh yeah, that! Hey, I just call 'em as I see 'em. Nevertheless, if you say that you are not the negative person that I and others perceive you to be, then I will certainly accept that and give you the benefit of the doubt. I must tell you, though, that I have found that with most folks on this board perception is reality. This, of course, does not apply in curtis' case, however. :lol:

Tom

scotch

Post by scotch »

jb wrote: Scotch;
Took your post ti heart,and realize that my message was way off key.My intent was not to start a political debate,but rather a statement of regret that as compared to Elvis,many entertainers dont know when to shut up.As I said,my intent wasnt to start a political debate,but I dont blame anyone for thinking that.And,I truly regret the homo statement,and anyone
offended by this remark will,I hope,accept my apology.
As for the liberal remark,no,jb dosent stand for Jeb Bush(good shot,Tom).
Im a centrist democrat,and was against the damn war from the beggining.
Im no "Bushie",but feel that many stars hurt the peace movement by their sometimes silly statements.
Again,please forgive a hurried,and not well thought out thread,as thats where the problems started.Thanks and God bless.
jb, apology accepted, and I agree with you that Tom's Jeb Bush comment was pretty lame. :lol:

Tom, thanks for the support. I'm with you on your Graceland project, by the way. How does the song go? "I saw the light"

Tom in North Carolina

Ahhh, lame but funny.

Tom

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Just some comments -
I completely agree that the folks holding anti-Dixie Chicks rallys and stomping their cd's are excercising THEIR right to free speech. I never suggested otherwise. Scotch: you are correct to point out the difference between the Government sponsored Nazi book burnings and private citizens holding public rallys in which they destroy Dixie Chicks cd's. I was fully aware of the difference when I made my original post. Very astute of you to pick up on it, I applaud you. However, the point I tried to make in my original post didn't concern the who, but rather the what: the willful destruction of art. That is the common denominator in my Nazi analogy that I find troubling. It's one thing to refuse to buy their cd's, throw the one's you may already own in the trash, request radio stations not play their music, and boycott their concerts. But to destroy art en mass to punish the artist(s) I have grave misgivings about that. The other thing I mentioned in my post was how the DC's seem to have been demonized over this. They seem to have become the focal point and "whipping boy" of those who take issue with the anti-war faction. Granted this is the consequence of Ms. Maines statements. But have not others also made anti-Bush statements: Michael Moore; Sean Penn; Tim Robbins & Susan Sarandon; Martin Sheen? And should those consequences also include personal threats against the DC's and damage to their private property? Now I don't mean to come off as a DC's apologist, and as I stated in my previous post I disliked Ms. Maines comments and disagreed with how she went about making them, but there are other things taking place that I find troubling and that I must question.

sam

Post by sam »

I don't take the view that busting some CD's is destroying art. The albums are still available and still there for anyone who wants them. So the art is still available.

R.I.P 01-24-08

In memory of everyones favorite Elvis friend: Sam

From the Members of the FECC FORUM
& The FECC Team

Topic author

pandoras box

Post by Guest »

I promose one thing;Ill never open this pandoras box again!!!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Next time, I suggest you open a <u>book</u>. That might help.

This article might further enlighten your nimble mind:
A confederacy of amnesiacs
Jon Carroll
Friday, May 2, 2003
©2003 San Francisco Chronicle Page D - 18

URL: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/05/02/DD291098.DTL

Let us wander together back to that golden time we like to call 2002. The Evil One, as officially identified by the White House, was Osama bin Laden. The government had sworn to take him "dead or alive." Most Americans thought that was a good idea because he had sent the planes into the World Trade Center and then bragged about it.

Bin Laden was in Afghanistan, protected by the nutso mullahs of the Taliban. Some of us worried about bombing an entire nation just to get bin Laden and his henchmen, but omelets and eggs and blah blah blah. Besides, we promised to rebuild Afghanistan after we kicked out the Taliban and captured bin Laden.

Later that year, it became clear that bin Laden had escaped our net. It also became clear that we were going to have neither the will nor the resources to rebuild Afghanistan. Also, the Taliban were not wiped out, they were merely hiding out.

You'd think some of this would raise some questions about broken promises, but by that time the focus was on the next Evil One, Saddam Hussein, and his weapons of mass destruction. How could we worry about Afghanistan (no longer a threat to us) when Hussein was there building nukes and anthrax bombs and God only knew what horrors in his secret labs.

The failure of the U.N. inspectors to find said labs was put down to their own typically European ineptitude (what kind of name is "Hans Blix," anyway?) plus the well-known craftiness of Hussein.

So we bombed another nation into submission; at this point, we pretty much have the power to bomb anyone into submission, although some of them, like North Korea or Israel, might do some bombing of their own first, which would not be good around election time.

And now it is May of 2003 and Saddam Hussein is just as alive as Osama bin Laden, the budget for the war on terror has been cut and shaved and generally abandoned (World Trade Center -- yesterday's news), and those secret Weapons of Mass Destruction have still not shown up.

Since Hussein did not use them in his fight for survival against the invading infidels, it might be inferred that he did not have them to use. But perhaps he pulled the crafty double switch "You expect me to use them, so I won't" thing just to make President Bush look bad.

But we're forgetting about that too. The administration is now downplaying the whole WMD thing, calling it "a matter of emphasis." We're now talking about freeing the Iraqi people, which is of course a swell thing, but if we're in the freeing-people business, I have a little list of countries that need it even more.

But we have done the important thing: We have revealed to a breathless world the secret contracts let to Halliburton and Bechtel before the war even started. Oh, and the thing with Dick Cheney and Halliburton: just a coincidence. George Shultz and Bechtel: just a coincidence. And it really, really is not about the oil. Forget the oil. Not about the oil.

If we had an opposition party in this nation, someone might have protested this serial amnesia. But the Democrats have decided that they support our troops, which apparently means supporting the president, even when he changes his story.

Then there's always the amazing changeable tax cut, a panacea that works in good times and in bad times, that provides growth (or stability) and stimulates (or cools down) the economy. Because wherever Hussein and bin Laden are, whatever hospitals do or do not get rebuilt, it's important for rich people to have more money. That's one thing the administration will always remember.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to invade just one more country before the 2004 elections. France?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

*yawn*>Doc...

for further comment, see above post in thread already made by yours truly.

scotch

Post by scotch »

All records of my tenure as governor of Texas have been spirited away to my fathers library, sealed in secrecy and un-available for public view.
Those all-important records will be kept safe in my hometown at TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY, yeeeee haw!

Bob, that list is laughable for so many reasons. I'm glad you care so much about baseball, Houston, Texas and the good ol U. S. of A. (because I haven't watched a baseball game in 9 years)

September 11th created a hardship or two for our economy, to blame those problems on Bush is either stupid or ignorant.

Bush's ranch in Texas has ulta-modern tele-conferencing equipment, when he is there it is not "a vacation", the White House just moves south a few miles.

Houston has never been Texas' finest city, just its largest. The smog in Houston did not increase during George Bush's governorship, L.A.'s "smog levels" just went down at a faster rate than Houston's, which have also gone down.
George Bush was the first Texas governor EVER to win reelection to a consecutive four-year term. He beat the beloved ANN RICHARDS, who was nationally famous for her big mouth and idiotic speeches at Democratic National Conventions.
As for the Sammy Sosa trade, here is a portion of his biography:
"In 1989, Sosa's first year in the Major Leagues, he had a tough season. He batted .238 and hit only 1 home run in 84 at bats. During that season, Sosa was sent to the minor leagues several times and finally traded to the Chicago White Sox (AL) later on that same season, Marty Scott (former general manager of the Texas Rangers) now says "That's my only regret" referring to the trade of Sosa.
Sosa's development was a slow process. He struggled during his 3 year stay as a Chicago White Sox just averaging .240 in batting average along with 9 home run per season and many strike outs. The Chicago White Sox sent Sosa back to the minor leagues for a short stay, then was traded to the Chicago Cubs in 1992. Sosa was determined to prove everyone wrong. He wants to provided for his family and he knew that the only way he was going to do that was to stay in the Major Leagues and get a big multi-million dollar contract. Baseball was all that Sammy knew and he worked extremely hard on perfecting his game and his swing to assure himself no more trips to the minor leagues.
Almost instantly thereafter Sosa's baseball career turned around.
In his first full year (1993) as a Cub, Sosa slammed 33 home runs, knocked in 93 RBI's and was on his way to becoming an All-Star."

Had Sammy not had those hardships, he might have never had reach the highs he has reached.
Rendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.
Man, you are giving Bush more credit than he is due. I WISH he had made that joke of an organization irrelevant, but the U.N. itself beat him to it.
Signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution than any president in US history.
I'm sorry, but the last time I read MY Constitution a presidents signature is not even involved with the creation of an Amendment and the last Amendment occured in 1992. If you are saying an executive order "changed" the Constitution in practice then I have a feeling that the ACLU would have had a little something to say about that.
With a policy of 'dis-engagement' created the most hostile Israeli-Palestine relations in at least 30 years.
Bush has called for Israel and a future PALESTINE to live together in peace. In the next year, I gurantee the region will be on a path to acomplish just that.
In a little over two years created the most divided country in decades, possibly the most divided the US has ever been since the civil war.
That's why over 70% of our nation favored the war in Iraq, I guess...

As a wise man one said: "There are only two things I hate; those who are intolerant of other people's cultures...
...and the Dutch."

Hey at least the Dutch blood in me gives me the urge to dip my freedom fries in mayonaise, so all is not lost. Yummy.

Tootles!

The U.S. should just mind its own business, they cause infrastructure to be torn down all over the world...

Don't blame me, I'm going to vote for AL

scotch

Post by scotch »

They are still french fries, I highly doubt anyone actually uses the term "freedom fries", but it made a good news story.

...and you know I love the Dutch. Tulips, windmills, Col. Parker... :twisted:

Bob, you were trying to break the ice, you even said it! This thread will drop down in a day or two. I'll be adding some lighthearted topics to the "off-topic" area, so hopefully FECC will just let this silly thread go bye-bye natually. I enjoy this new board and don't want them to feel like they must babysit us like on the old board.