Off Topic Messages

30 Years Flies Bye Fast

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:27 pm

My All time favorite John Wayne died 30 years ago today. They don't make them like that anymore. I remember seeing the Shootist in the theater in 1976 and was my first western
viewed on the big screen.

On a lesser note for fellow Star Trek fans, DeForest Kelly died 10 years ago today.
Man, I am getting old!

Everyone enjoy thier day!

Re: 30 Years Flies Bye Fast

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:37 pm

10 years since DeForest died? You're right! That makes me feel the passage of time. I still remember reading that horrible news on teletext back in the day. I remember my friend's mother announcing it when I went and visited him, too. Oh, wow. Feels like yesterday. Guess I'm starting to know what that phrase means now.

As for John Wayne: "The Shootist" is a very fine film. Great swan song performance. I need to see more of his work. A guilty pleasure of mine is "Brannigan". Been on TV a few times (but then, which of Wayne's movies hasn't?). So odd seeing The Duke in (then) modern-day London!

P.S. DeForest did his share of westerns, too.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Jeff H wrote:My All time favorite John Wayne died 30 years ago today. They don't make them like that anymore. I remember seeing the Shootist in the theater in 1976 and was my first western
viewed on the big screen.

On a lesser note for fellow Star Trek fans, DeForest Kelly died 10 years ago today.
Man, I am getting old!

Everyone enjoy thier day!

Well now you've banged home just how damn old I am too how is that going to be possible?

John Wayne was never better than in The Searchers.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Brannigan is an unappreciated film. Fine car chase thru London and a fun pub fight and I always enjoy Sir Richard Attenborough. It you want some recommendations on the Duke, here are some great choices outside of The Searchers, True Grit, The Quiet Man, Stagecoach, Sands of Iwo Jima, etc.:
1970's - The Cowboys, Chisum
1960's - El Dorado, Sons of Katie Elder, Hatari!, North To Alaska, The Longest Day, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
1950's - Hondo, Rio Bravo, Rio Grande
1940's - Red River, Wake of the Red Witch, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Three Godfathers, They Were Expendable

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks for the recommendations.

I've seen a few of those, including "The Searchers", which is extraordinary.

Will try and secure some more of those.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Jeff H wrote:My All time favorite John Wayne died 30 years ago today.

On a happier note, actor and comedian Gene Wilder turned forty-six 30 years ago today!

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:04 am

I loooooooove Gene Wilder.

So many great films...I have a soft spot for Silver Streak not to mention the Mel Brooks films...great and very original actor. When I met him at a book signing I told him how much I enjoyed one of his last pictures with Pryor: See No Evil, Hear No Evil. It truely was a genuine favorite of mine even though it was panned by critics and mostly remembered as the end of the Pryor/Wilder magic. I said to him, "Gene, that movie is really one of my favorites...my friend in college and I used to always watch it and we loved it." With a look of disgust mixed in with surprise he looks up at me and says: "Really?!"

:lol:

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:17 am

Wow Gene Wilder is 76 years old. Talk about making a guy feel old. I remember when he was red hot with Stir Crazy. All the kids in school talked about that one.

Good list Jeff. I'd substitute Angel and the Badman or Tall in the Saddle for Wake of the Red Witch. Cryo- Angel and the Badman might make an interesting view as it is the model for the very popular 1980s flick Witness.

1959's The Horse Soldiers deserves a viewing as does 1953's Island in the Sky. I'm also a big fan of North to Alaska which is probably the Duke's best pure comedy performance, although Rio Bravo is a masterful comedy/drama.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:36 am

76 years YOUNG!

And it's "Fronk -en - steen."

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:76 years YOUNG!

And it's "Fronk -en - steen."

OK, Eye-gore !

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:32 pm

A sedagive!

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Pete Dube wrote:A sedagive!

"This brain you got, what did it say on the jar ?"

"Oh, Abby-something .... err..... Abby-normal, that's it !"

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Good list Jeff. I'd substitute Angel and the Badman or Tall in the Saddle for Wake of the Red Witch. Cryo- Angel and the Badman might make an interesting view as it is the model for the very popular 1980s flick Witness.

1959's The Horse Soldiers deserves a viewing as does 1953's Island in the Sky. I'm also a big fan of North to Alaska which is probably the Duke's best pure comedy performance, although Rio Bravo is a masterful comedy/drama.

Totally agree on all you additions. A lot of people know Angel & the Badman and Tall in the Saddle, but few know the more obscure Wake of the Red Witch.
I love the Horse Soldiers and Island in the Sky is very solid. Don't Forget High and the Mighty, the original Aiport film from 1954.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:44 pm

"What hump?"

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Eddie wrote:"What hump?"

LOL !

"Ingar, I want you to elevate me !"

"What here, now ?"

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:29 pm

IMETJB wrote:I loooooooove Gene Wilder.

So many great films...I have a soft spot for Silver Streak not to mention the Mel Brooks films...great and very original actor. When I met him at a book signing I told him how much I enjoyed one of his last pictures with Pryor: See No Evil, Hear No Evil. It truely was a genuine favorite of mine even though it was panned by critics and mostly remembered as the end of the Pryor/Wilder magic. I said to him, "Gene, that movie is really one of my favorites...my friend in college and I used to always watch it and we loved it." With a look of disgust mixed in with surprise he looks up at me and says: "Really?!"

:lol:

I would have disgusted him too cos I love that film, along with Stir Crazy. I also like Woman in Red and Hanky panky. But can the politically incorrect, but excellent, Blazing Saddles really be topped? "I present to you a laurel, and hardy hand-shake!" Yo ho ho! :lol:

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:49 pm

Eye gor, help me with the bags.

Ok, you get the blonde, I'll get the one with the turbin.

I worked with Gene on a movie years ago, he was real nice guy.
http://www.pbase.com/jroy/hankypanky

John Wayne was great. Always meant to pick up the Calvary trilogy on DVD. I'm amzed at the number of people I meet now that never seen one of his movies or even know who he is.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Gene's late wife Gilda Radner was excellent too. I love her in The rutles!

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:03 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Gene's late wife Gilda Radner was excellent too. I love her in The rutles!

Yeah, that was the movie where they met. I had to stay with her at the end of the shoot and wait with her for her ride to the train station. She was scared of flying.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:07 am

Really James? Cool beans. Were you on The Rutles crew then?

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:11 am

No, sorry. I meant the movie I worked on, with pix in the link above. It was called Hanky Panky

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:53 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Ok, you get the blonde, I'll get the one with the turbin.

"i'll get the one with the toibin" :lol: