Terminator Salvation

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Terminator Salvation

Postby Eddie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Anyone seen this yet?, I was going to give it a miss for it seems so wrong in many different ways but EMPIRE online are giving it a decent review despite others slaughtering the film.EMPIRE are not usualy far off with their assesments. Be interested in the views of anyone having seen it.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... ?FID=10354
Last edited by Eddie on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got you melancholy baby, built like a melon face like a collie.
Eddie

Topic author

Re: Terminator Salvation

Postby JamesVRoy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:20 pm

I saw it and liked it. Its not as good as the original(s) in my opinion, this is basically a war movie. But it kept me entertained for 2 hours. I would say its worth seeing if you liked the others. My one complaint is that I felt they kind of skipped over the last two and picked up after the first one (not going to say why).
JamesVRoy

Postby Eddie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Aint it cool news said it was so bad it made his eyes bleed,perhaps a tad off then? I really liked the first two and the third was not a total disaster, especially the last half hour where it dared to push the story forward rather than rehash the familiar chase theme.
Eddie

Topic author

Postby Cryogenic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:25 pm

T3 and "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" are AWFUL, in my opinion.

And Bale ranting at that poor DP was probably just a publicity stunt to drum up $$$ for a flagging movie.

I have no interest in this, at all. The Terminator series begins and ends with James Cameron, for me.
Cryogenic

Postby keninlincs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:37 pm

not for me....thought it was very poor
-
keninlincs

Postby genesim » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:52 am

I thought T3 was a fun movie and I am currently going throught the Sarah Conner chronicles. It having won some awards I so far don't have a problem with the series at all.

T2 to me was the weaker one, while it had great action Furlong grated on my nerves. Plus Arnold was pretty cheesy. At least with the 3rd movie they took it back to a more serious approach and the action was absolutely killer. Arnold was much more entertaining to me. Plus that girl Terminator was kick ass.

The original Terminator is the best hands down, but I am a fan of the series and I cannot wait to see the new movie having just gone through a ton of Bluray buys. The rest of the Sarah Conner is coming out on Bluray soon.

My friend is also a huge fan of the series and he gives the new one a B rating. But from the standpoint of what he expected..he felt it was well worth the watch. It shows promise for more movies...

xxxxxx

James

My one complaint is that I felt they kind of skipped over the last two and picked up after the first one (not going to say why).

From what I saw in the trailers he has a huge scratch on his face. This is in line with the 2nd movie where they show a flash forward of John Conner during the war. That certaintly owns to the second movie.
All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana
genesim

Postby Cryogenic » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:44 am

genesim wrote: T2 to me was the weaker one, while it had great action Furlong grated on my nerves. Plus Arnold was pretty cheesy. At least with the 3rd movie they took it back to a more serious approach and the action was absolutely killer. Arnold was much more entertaining to me. Plus that girl Terminator was kick ass.

Not in my book. T2 was an incredible melding of technology and storytelling, in my opinion. Cameron directed it with the flair of a true virtuoso, serving up compelling action scenes and a human story that reaches an almost operatic crescendo in the film's final sequence. While Cameron did dick around with the image of Arnie's Terminator (e.g. "Bad To The Bone", "Asta La Vista!" etc.), Jonathan Mostow took things to the level of a Zucker Bros. spoof. Arnie with Elton John sunglasses? "Talk to the hand"? His random psychological comments? I also thought the action was confusingly edited (especially the big chase sequence). The bathroom fight at the end doesn't remotely compare to the duels between the characters in T2. And Kristanna Loken was nowhere near Robert Patrick. The former studied birds of prey and gave a very sleek physical performance. Some of the writing was really contrived, too. For example, the T-X has two clear chances to kill Katherine Brewster, once at her surgery, where she just physically intimidates her for information, and once at the cemetery, where she appears as Katherine's fiance and then morphs back into her regular appearance before she's done the job, giving Katherine ample opportunity to run. I also thought there was very little tension or depth to anything. And I'll take Ed Furlong and Linda Hamilton over Nick Stahl and Clare Danes, any day. Even small details were very ham-fisted, in my opinion. I hated that shot at the start. The little flash-forward of John Connor cheering. He's meant to be "The Leader of the Human Resistance", yet there's an AMERICAN flag in the shot? I preferred the way Cameron did it at the start of T2, with a scarred and inscrutable John surveying the battlefield. I enjoyed seeing Arnie up on the big screen in his most famous role, so it was worth a watch. But T3 is a very silly movie, in my opinion.
Cryogenic

Postby Marko » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:04 pm

T2 was and is one of the best action movies ever made. When T2 was released it was a breaktrough with new technology. Cameron did fantastic job in his directing. Even though it's science fiction the story is belieavable. It is still one of my favorite films. Just bought it for the 4th time. This time on blu-ray.

T3 comes nowhere near though it was a entertaining movie. The story isn't nearly as good as on T2 and the director is not in the same league with Cameron.
"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."
Marko

Postby genesim » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Yeah all your points are valid but lets go back.

When I was referring to T2 being weaker I actually made that statement in regards to the Terminator character.

The movie as a whole actually it may be more as a toss up, but I still prefer the 3rd John Conner to the Furlong. Plus by the second movie Linda Hamilton was severely getting on my moves and overacting all over the place. Each have their signficant weaknesses.

Neither compare to the first though, and that is my story and I am sticking to it.

I do hear ya on buying the movie for the 4th time...actually I owned it on VHS, then Special Laserdisc, then first generation DVD, Then Ultimate collection, then Extreme.

So I guess this makes this 5th! Best looking version ever though! Totally crushes the other versions!
All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana
genesim

Postby Cryogenic » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:48 pm

genesim wrote:Yeah all your points are valid but lets go back.

My points aren't necessarily valid. They're just my personal take on matters.

genesim wrote:When I was referring to T2 being weaker I actually made that statement in regards to the Terminator character.

You said T2 "was the weaker one" and then said "plus Arnold was pretty cheesy", implying an all-round dislike of T2.

I actually thought Arnie was very strong in T2, though his "best" acting is to be found in "Predator", in my opinion.

genesim wrote:The movie as a whole actually it may be more as a toss up, but I still prefer the 3rd John Conner to the Furlong. Plus by the second movie Linda Hamilton was severely getting on my moves and overacting all over the place. Each have their signficant weaknesses.

Hey, that's your opinion and that's fine. I even sort of agree with you where the characters are concerned. I don't consider Cameron an especially subtle director. He likes to push everything to pretty melodramatic levels. "I came back in time .... for you!" There's a certain exaggeratedness to lots of lines and performances. I buy it with Cameron, but I don't buy it with all directors.

genesim wrote:Neither compare to the first though, and that is my story and I am sticking to it.

I'm with you there. The original has a very dark tone and a real kind of desperation about it. One reason is that it nearly all takes place at night. There's also very little flash to distract from its sobering atmosphere. It was a shock the first time I saw it, especially after being familiar with T2. But the original grew on me. BIG TIME.
Cryogenic

Postby genesim » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:32 am

Great response and I pretty much agree with you.

As for my change....I was on a T3 high and I had to think it through...so here is my final answer.

T3-Arnold is better acted. John Conner is better. Claire Daines is ..eh Story, not as good. Action is better in parts.

Arnold gets cheesy without a shred of serious Terminatoresque way like the first. Linda has stepped down and got more cheesy...though at least more buff which is better for the role...but not my pants. :oops: John is gayer then ever and is nothing like I thought he should be. Story is better. Action was phenomenol for the time.

Problem...I am a TERMINATOR fan hence the first outweighs the second.

The first movie excelled in all parts. T2 in hind sight didn't match for repeated viewings...but still kicks ass T3 is an aquired taste for me..but I still recognize its problems.
genesim

Postby Eddie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:31 pm

Finaly went to see it and found it at least worthy of the ticket, though not in the 'go see it again' class. I was more than satisfied by the effects and action, despite the 12 certificate. But the experience as a whole was slightly hollow. The score was all over the place and offered very little to drive the story forward. There were so many main characters that it detracted from the story, none were given enough time to realise any sympathy from the viewer. The makers were always on a hiding to nothing without Camerons involvment but I feel the Marcus storyline was unnessecary and did nothing for the movie. That said, it is supposedly the first of a trilogy and I saw enough there to want to see more.
Eddie

Topic author

Postby genesim » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:07 am

You have convinced me. This weekend I hope!
genesim

Postby Inigo Montoya » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:01 am

Mostow is a monumental putz. A hole of the ass variety, and then some. So far it looks like he's one of those filmmakers who's only had one good film in him, the truly excellent Breakdown, that succeeded on every level. U-571 was utter trash, and offensive on multiple levels, and T3 was so bad that I managed to watch it twice and, both times, within a day or so had pretty much forgotten what happened in the film; talk about unmemorable! He destroyed the franchise. I'll probably catch the new entry (I do like Christian Bale) when my library gets the DVD, but I'm in no hurry -- after the trainwreck that was T3, and given that this one's not R-rated (a movie like this kind of needs to be able to let loose a bit, I think), I'm pretty ambivalent about the new film.

T2 was a masterpiece, not just the best of the franchise but a great film by any measure. Cameron's a putz, too -- an insufferable one who I have no doubt could make a pacificist want to sink his or her fist firmly into the director's facial features -- but he's undeniably a talented putz, and therein lies the difference.
Inigo Montoya

Postby genesim » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:04 pm

"T3 was so bad"

I liked the movie so I take the rest of your review with it.

T2 was not the best of the franchise. No way shape or form. You must have forgotton, or never knew the greatness of the first movie. Action, story, acting...there is no comparison...well perhaps special effects, but even that is a toss up becuase I actually like the models and for some reason it has a much grittier way to me.
genesim

Postby Eddie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:56 pm

Agreed, the original is still by far the best of the bunch. Cameron seems to be the one director who agrees with my subconcious about what a sequel should be, bigger and louder with that real epic look and feel, [see ALIENS] T2 was exactly that, a better movie experience if not the better movie. The Alien franchise is the prime example for me of how Hollywood strikes the wrong notes in these [exception Camerons epic] things, my inner geek screams out that only an invasion of Earth with an all out war could top the second, sadly they continue to go sideways and backwards for me.If Cameron had been involved I think T3 would most likely have been set in the future.
Eddie

Topic author

Postby genesim » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Nah T2 didn't seem "epic" to me because I didn't feel the Terminator seemed unstoppable. The T2 Terminator(Arnold) was weak and cheesy.

The first was so massive and seemingly indestructable. Reese was also a much better hero with Linda being forced to take the baton when he died.

Such a great movie...the others just fall behind. I guess we all have our favorites though. Thinking about it, the first movie was even funnier too!

"wash day tomorrow right??"

"hey buddy you got a dead cat in there"
genesim

Postby Eddie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:31 pm

all of the above I agree with but...not epic? Are you serious? The budget alone was epic in its day! The action set pieces blew the original out the water within twenty minutes the tension building from huge set piece to huge set piece was fantastic. Everything about T2 was BIG. Yes the original was the better movie, more dangerous, but the sequel was so much bigger, bolder, louder and yes...epic. His other sequel ALIENS was the same mould, though not so teenager friendly.
Eddie

Topic author

Postby genesim » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:41 pm

The action was epic...the story was not. It was a great folowup though. With an original that is so great it is hard to top. Don't take it so bad.
genesim

Return to Off Topic