The very talented but rejected The Beatles

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Luuk

The very talented but rejected The Beatles

Post by Luuk »

The Beatles auditioned for Decca Records and were turned down with the remark that the time of guitar groups was long gone.
Luckily they were more successful at Parlophone (EMI) and I wonder what the guy at Decca heard from his boss when he learned about this rejection and missed opportunity to make millions..

Topic author
Ben

Re: The very talented but rejected The Beatles

Post by Ben »

Wasn't they also rejected as the back-up singers of Billy Fury??

Topic author
Luuk

Post by Luuk »

ben wrote:Wasn't they also rejected as the back-up singers of Billy Fury??
I don't know. They once were opening act for Helen Shapiro!

javilu

Post by javilu »

The Beatles were rejected by DECCA after recording there a 15 song demo in January 1, 1962.
DECCA (probably producer Mike Smith) chose Brian Poole and The Tremeloes over The Beatles.
Talk about bad bussiness decisions!! :lol:

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

javilu wrote:The Beatles were rejected by DECCA after recording there a 15 song demo in January 1, 1962.
DECCA (probably producer Mike Smith) chose Brian Poole and The Tremeloes over The Beatles.
According to legend, it was Dick Rowe !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

No, they auditioned when they were the Silver Beatles but refused when told they'd have to sack the bass player, Stu Sutcliffe.

Topic author
Ben

Post by Ben »

JamesVRoy wrote:
No, they auditioned when they were the Silver Beatles but refused when told they'd have to sack the bass player, Stu Sutcliffe.
Oh, thank you for the information.

javilu

Post by javilu »

ColinB wrote:
javilu wrote:The Beatles were rejected by DECCA after recording there a 15 song demo in January 1, 1962.
According to legend, it was Dick Rowe !
Many have speculated who made the decision to reject The Beatles. While various accounts of the audition have been published, most agree it was either Dick Rowe, producer Mike Smith or ex-Shadow Tony Meehan.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decca_Audition

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

genesim

Post by genesim »

At any rate, I completely understand on the Silver Beatles if it is minus Ringo Starr. As unbelievable as it is, I do not think they had "the sound" till he came along. This much is obvious from early recordings. I often talk about chemistry in a band, and this is a prime example. It is all parts that count, and that is why reunions without ALL the key players are less then what they should be.

The groups succeed after the group has the perfect combination, the same should be true for a band in its twilight.

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Decca didn't need the Silver Beatles.

They had Elvis Presley!

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

You can always find these little rejections in every great success story like Elvis' relative flop at the Opry or getting rejected by Arthur Godfrey. Stephen Stills and John Sebastian being rejected for the Monkees.I have always thought that the biggest star we'll eventually see from American Idol for instance is somebody who didn't even make the final cut.

Even the Tremeloes decision has its parallels. In the 1950s Buck Ram was managing two vocal groups the Penguins and the Platters who were both on indy labels. He was looking to land both on a major label. He got Mercury interested in the Penguins, who had recently scored a major hit with "Earth Angel". He insisted to the label that they throw in a contract for the Platters as well. They were so hot to get the Penguins and in with the youth market, they agreed. The Penguins, despite some fine efforts, never again made the Top 40. The throw in Platters went on to become the most successful vocal group of the ensuing half decade.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I used to work with Mike Smith and he was known in the building as the guy who screwed up with the Beatles.

javilu

Post by javilu »

KiwiAlan wrote:Decca didn't need the Silver Beatles.

They had Elvis Presley!
From 1964 on, they did.
TJ wrote:I used to work with Mike Smith and he was known in the building as the guy who screwed up with the Beatles.
That's what I thought, since he was the guy who auditioned them.

KevR

Post by KevR »

The Silver Beatles and several other Liverpool bands auditioned for Billy Fury and his manager Larry Parnes and the Beatles lost out to another group (whose name escapes me at the moment) for the honour of backing up the UK's premier rock n roller.

Larry Parnes did however hire The Silver Beatles to back another of his "artistes" the not so famous "Johnny Gentle". The Beatles duly went on a tour of Scotland with Mr Gentle which they later described as one of their most miserable experiences ever.

Topic author
Ben

Post by Ben »

KevR wrote:

The Silver Beatles and several other Liverpool bands auditioned for Billy Fury and his manager Larry Parnes and the Beatles lost out to another group (whose name escapes me at the moment) for the honor of backing up the UK's premier rock n roller.

Larry Parnes did however hire The Silver Beatles to back another of his "artistes" the not so famous "Johnny Gentle". The Beatles duly went on a tour of Scotland with Mr Gentle which they later described as one of their most miserable experiences ever.
Thanks for the info Kev, I have never heard of Johnny Giant but looked him up on Google and youtube and heard him sing Mack The Knife and he was an OK singer, a bit too much like Marty and Billy though.

KevR

Post by KevR »

ben wrote:
KevR wrote:

The Silver Beatles and several other Liverpool bands auditioned for Billy Fury and his manager Larry Parnes and the Beatles lost out to another group (whose name escapes me at the moment) for the honor of backing up the UK's premier rock n roller.

Thanks for the info Kev, I have never heard of Johnny Giant but looked him up on Google and youtube and heard him sing Mack The Knife and he was an OK singer, a bit too much like Marty and Billy though.
You're welcome Ben and here's a link to photos of the actual auditon:

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1960/60.05.10%20larry%20parnes/60.05.10larryparnes.html

Here you'll find the Beatles (well you can see George) on stage with Johnny Gentle:

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1960/60.05.20%20johnny%20gentle/60.05.20johnnygentle.html

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

KevR - 'The Tornado's' were the group that backed Fury.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

KevR

Post by KevR »

Thanks Andy

Topic author
Luuk

Post by Luuk »

The Tornados also had hits of their own, like "Telstar".

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

likethebike wrote:You can always find these little rejections in every great success story like Elvis' relative flop at the Opry or getting rejected by Arthur Godfrey. Stephen Stills and John Sebastian being rejected for the Monkees.I have always thought that the biggest star we'll eventually see from American Idol for instance is somebody who didn't even make the final cut.
It's already happened -- Jennifer Hudson, who won an Oscar, a Golden Globe, a BAFTA, and a SAG Award for her role in Dreamgirls.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
likethebike wrote:You can always find these little rejections in every great success story like Elvis' relative flop at the Opry or getting rejected by Arthur Godfrey. Stephen Stills and John Sebastian being rejected for the Monkees.I have always thought that the biggest star we'll eventually see from American Idol for instance is somebody who didn't even make the final cut.
It's already happened -- Jennifer Hudson, who won an Oscar, a Golden Globe, a BAFTA, and a SAG Award for her role in Dreamgirls.
Surprisingly Bo Bice hasn't dominated in similar fashion.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

midnightx wrote:Surprisingly Bo Bice hasn't dominated in similar fashion.
His time will come, just give it a few more years.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!