The Dark Knight- Holy Hell

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

genesim
Registered for: 21 years

Re: The Dark Knight- Holy Hell

Post by genesim »

stupot wrote:You seem to be another abrupt person. Maybe getting out of the bed on the other side or a reduced caffeine intake would help.
Why thank you. :D I will consider the source when taking that advice. Meanwhile, been having too many bad knife dreams?

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

stupot
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by stupot »

genesim wrote:
stupot wrote:You seem to be another abrupt person. Maybe getting out of the bed on the other side or a reduced caffeine intake would help.
Why thank you. :D I will consider the source when taking that advice. Meanwhile, been having too many bad knife dreams?
I find the caffeine reduction to be particularly useful. Not dreams, just a little PTSD.

genesim

Post by genesim »

So you have PTSD so the rest of us should suffere right along with you?

If you went in to Batman thinking the Joker was going to use squirt guns then you should have done some research.

Batman is a dark story, and being any less then faithful to the original intent would be a huge disservice...especially when they are basing the movie off of Batman: The Long Halloween.

Oh and yes, the Joker is quite capable of using knives, among many other weapons. You weren't exactly watching candy land!

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

Eddie
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Eddie »

"Oh Eddie how abrupt of you! True knife crime has been around, but only in recent years has it become a killing weapon for teenagers. In previous generations it was used more as a punishment tool where killing was purposefuly avoided."

Oh please Stupot...what world are you living in? ITS A FILM! Strike that.... KAAPPOOOW, ITS A BATMAN FILM! What a tortured existence you must have to be so shaken by Batman, Im guessing Tarrantino must send you completely over the edge. What on earth is "true knife crime" people have been getting stabbed to death for no other reason than badness for many many years, its not a recent phenomenon that has suddenly sprung up out of nowhere to shatter that cocoon you are in. Its had a great deal of media coverage because it suits them, and it gives politicians a stick to beat each other with. There are knife murders every weekend in Glasgow and not a word on Sky News, not newsworthy enough, but one in dear old London...well shock horror...whats happening to our world? The media has a hold of this puppy now..it'll soon move on and you can come out into the light once more...unless of course its reported that gasp, people are binge drinking at weekends!

I got you melancholy baby, built like a melon face like a collie.

stupot

Post by stupot »

genesim wrote:So you have PTSD so the rest of us should suffere right along with you?

If you went in to Batman thinking the Joker was going to use squirt guns then you should have done some research.

Batman is a dark story, and being any less then faithful to the original intent would be a huge disservice...especially when they are basing the movie off of Batman: The Long Halloween.

Oh and yes, the Joker is quite capable of using knives, among many other weapons. You weren't exactly watching candy land!
Hell I just wanted to see a super hero-kicking ass. So did my kids. Without a doubt, it should be rated a 15. Why don't you tidy up your tone? There are enough things to dislike in this world..I would rather be friends than enemies.

stupot

Post by stupot »

Eddie wrote:"Oh Eddie how abrupt of you! True knife crime has been around, but only in recent years has it become a killing weapon for teenagers. In previous generations it was used more as a punishment tool where killing was purposefuly avoided."

Oh please Stupot...what world are you living in? ITS A FILM! Strike that.... KAAPPOOOW, ITS A BATMAN FILM! What a tortured existence you must have to be so shaken by Batman, Im guessing Tarrantino must send you completely over the edge. What on earth is "true knife crime" people have been getting stabbed to death for no other reason than badness for many many years, its not a recent phenomenon that has suddenly sprung up out of nowhere to shatter that cocoon you are in. Its had a great deal of media coverage because it suits them, and it gives politicians a stick to beat each other with. There are knife murders every weekend in Glasgow and not a word on Sky News, not newsworthy enough, but one in dear old London...well shock horror...whats happening to our world? The media has a hold of this puppy now..it'll soon move on and you can come out into the light once more...unless of course its reported that gasp, people are binge drinking at weekends!
Eddie, I refer you to the response I gave to Geneism.

Prosecutions for carrying knives has gone up 72% in 11 years and the number of youngsters caught carrying knives in school has gone up sevenfold in 10 years. So as you point out Eddie, the realities of life are apparent enough but I would rather protect my children from them for a little longer. I just asked one of my kids to sum up in one sentence, his main memory of the film....."I think Joker was too evil".

I can appreciate that Geneism and you and lots of other people get excited by this type of fear, but if that was the expected outcome for the viewer, it should not have been deemed suitable for under 15s.

Any chance you might steer away from overt diatribe Eddie, it just means that intelligent debate becomes impossible, not to mention makes us all look a bit daft.

genesim

Post by genesim »

First of all my "tone" comes from your tone. So you recieve what you get.

Now are we really going back to the age old violence in movies creates violence on the street routine? Knifings among teenagers has not gone up, it is the fact that there are more teenagers now then ever were before. It is called population growth.
I can appreciate that Geneism and you and lots of other people get excited by this type of fear
Why thank you. But you know what gets me even more excited, parents that take their kids to films that are rated PG 13 who get shocked by violence. Of course what you fail to see or comment on that all the violence was done off camera. Of course this is my arguement on how it was done more effectively which is something truly missing in hollywood.

Perhaps you should really take a look at what you take your kids to and at the least do a little research on what was to be expected from the film through the say MILLIONS of reviews that were out there.
"I think Joker was too evil".
That sounds like a planted statement instilled by a parent. If your kids know the true nature of the Joker from the comics, then perhaps they would truly see how wrong they are. As it stands, evil is evil and to me there are no degrees. Killing by a bullet, killing by a knife, there is no pretty way to look at it, nor should there be in the real Batman vision.

Batman has never shown much remorse over killing or maiming criminals in the original comics. With that in mind, perhaps you should rent the 60's Batman instead and get a fictionalized version of the story. Or at the least, check out the Pg-13 rating.
PG-13 - Parents Strongly Cautioned
Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13 years old.
May contain very strong language, nudity (non-explicit), strong, mildly, bloody violence or mild drug content.
Hmmmm....does the movie really fall outside of these parameters? You name the instance where you feel it was inappropriate and when can go from there....but the Joker is "too evil" doesn't cut it for me.

stupot

Post by stupot »

genesim wrote:First of all my "tone" comes from your tone. So you recieve what you get.

Now are we really going back to the age old violence in movies creates violence on the street routine? Knifings among teenagers has not gone up, it is the fact that there are more teenagers now then ever were before. It is called population growth.
I can appreciate that Geneism and you and lots of other people get excited by this type of fear
Why thank you. But you know what gets me even more excited, parents that take their kids to films that are rated PG 13 who get shocked by violence. Of course what you fail to see or comment on that all the violence was done off camera. Of course this is my arguement on how it was done more effectively which is something truly missing in hollywood.

Perhaps you should really take a look at what you take your kids to and at the least do a little research on what was to be expected from the film through the say MILLIONS of reviews that were out there.
"I think Joker was too evil".
That sounds like a planted statement instilled by a parent. If your kids know the true nature of the Joker from the comics, then perhaps they would truly see how wrong they are. As it stands, evil is evil and to me there are no degrees. Killing by a bullet, killing by a knife, there is no pretty way to look at it, nor should there be in the real Batman vision.

Batman has never shown much remorse over killing or maiming criminals in the original comics. With that in mind, perhaps you should rent the 60's Batman instead and get a fictionalized version of the story. Or at the least, check out the Pg-13 rating.
PG-13 - Parents Strongly Cautioned
Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13 years old.
May contain very strong language, nudity (non-explicit), strong, mildly, bloody violence or mild drug content.
Hmmmm....does the movie really fall outside of these parameters? You name the instance where you feel it was inappropriate and when can go from there....but the Joker is "too evil" doesn't cut it for me.
I'll be wasting my time with you Geneism.

genesim

Post by genesim »

No actually I did with you. I had you confused with someone who could actually back up your point of view. Instead you are someone that wants to control what everyone else thinks.

Go back and read my response. Perhaps it isn't such a waste of time. There is plenty for you to learn there. If anything else, maybe to be a better judge on what films to bring your children to.

Oh and by the way, in case you missed it, the first Batman movies from this series..Batman Begins, was no Smurfs either.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Just got back from seeing the movie.

That's two hours (and $16) of my life I'll never get back.

Total rubbish.

The hero could've used some Bat throat lozenges. What the hell was with that stupid voice? :?

And all this talk about The Joker. There was no back story for him; no motivation; no core. Pointless. And Heath Ledger? Hammy.

I'd rather watch the original Batman movie with Adam West!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The wonderful LaSalle review posted on page 1 has quite a bit of insight, not to mention the comments by LTB that led all this off.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Justin

Post by Justin »

Scott wrote:There was no back story for him; no motivation; no core. Pointless
Another origin story? For what? The mystery of crazy maniac who jumps onto the scene is far more effective than seeing how the guy turns into the Joker. We get glimpses of his past and where his motivation comes from by the small anecdotes he shares...how his father threatened his mother and gave him that scar for instance.

Not sure how much more a back story could have done to the character. The result is still the same...this guy is an evil, crazed murderer. But then again, if you actually liked his character..you wouldn't really wanna know or care where he came from. But that's obviously not the case here....

Too bad you hated it.

genesim

Post by genesim »

We get glimpses of his past and where his motivation comes from by the small anecdotes he shares...how his father threatened his mother and gave him that scar for instance.
Actually I didn't take this to be true at all. His stories kept changing, and when it comes to a sociopath like that, you can trust him on nothing.

As it stands, the back story is in his actions. I hate those stupid motivational crap back stories that mean absolutely nothing. The power of a movie is to portray the character brilliantly, then the back story comes with the characterization.

Like the Godfather and Sterling Hayden playing the Police Captain McClusky. 5 minutes of great acting gives you chapter of writing in a book.

Heath Ledger's interpretation was brilliant, and a back story would completely miss the point. I am with you dude, who really gives a crap about a homicidal murderer and his intentions. Kind of reminds me of the Prequal to Psycho(was it IV?) Talk about hammy. Normal Bates was interesting told in snippets, but his character portrayed without a full exhibition of his coming to be in much much more in tune with a classic. Heath Ledger was no different. Mulling over what should have been, is being blind to what was protrayed. Say what you want about the movie, but I don't know how anyone can come away from this brilliant actin and at least thinks he deserves a best actor nod. Hammy?? What the hell movie was this dude watching??

drjohncarpenter

I know what movie LaSalle was watching!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Justin

Post by Justin »

genesim wrote:What the hell movie was this dude watching??

genesim

Post by genesim »

Now that is funny. Is that the macarena..."aight"! Perhaps there was innovation in that show. :lol:

Justin

Post by Justin »

Why, it's the Batusi!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batusi

genesim

Post by genesim »

"You shake a pretty mean cape Batman!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here you go Stupot. No need to go to the movies, it is all right there for your home enjoyment. High Defintion and in unbelievable. DTS-HD Master AUDIO!!!

There are bigtime releases that don't get that kind of loving care. It still shocks me.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/440/batmanthemovie.html

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Elton »

"The Dark Knight" took in another 43.8M over the week-end,nearing a 4oo Million total...so far

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

drjohncarpenter

Anyone like that LaSalle review?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

genesim

Post by genesim »

Yes Doc, that was a wonderful review. Thank you for posting.

The more I talk about this movie, the more I want to see it again. Heath owns it!