Off Topic Messages

Gene Vincent 71' interview kinda a weird interview

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:36 am

This is one of the weirdest interview I have heard coming from a Rock Star per say.

Conducted in 71', I'm guessing in England, Gene Vincent is the rebel right till the end.

Not really sure what he was doing in this interview, whether he was being tongue and cheek about everything he was saying in the interview or he in fact was believing what he was saying, for example he makes it appear as tho he along with Carl Perkins and Elvis started "Rock A Billy" sort of together as a sort of team, he comes off suggesting that Carl has bad luck in a car accident where he was unable to appear on the Ed Sullivan show to sing "Blue Suede Shoes" and in return he was next in line to appear, however he gets into a motorcycle accident around the same time and now in his mind Elvis is the third one on the list and it's like he comes off as tho Elvis becomes big time because of their accidents.

Weird, really weird interview I must say, so many things he gets wrong and it appears he is just making this stuff up as he goes along and everyone including Sam Philips is or was his best friend.

Any Gene Vincent fans that would like to comment on the interview as to what your view is as to what he was doing here?

Did Vincent believe the B/S he was talking about or was he just giving the interviewer the gears or was he on something or just an A Whole washed up has been with a chip on his shoulders?

phpBB [video]

PEP 8)

Re: Gene Vincent 71' interview kinda a weird interview

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:06 am

By this time Gene was in quite a bad way himself,

from a lot of what I've read he was to say the least

very eratic, a lot of this was due to the painkillers he

took to ease the pain from his leg injury, also he

suplimented the drugs with drink.

8)

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:09 am

Very cool and rare footage I just found, Vincent certainly was a Rocker till the end, funny thing is it appears there are younger people in this audience that he says in the interview that do no longer come to his shows anymore, this certainly must of made him happy if that were really the case most of the time for this show.
phpBB [video]

I wonder if Elvis would have ended up sort of like this by this time, if the movies would never have happened in the 60's.

Meaning by this time playing small clubs, but more Rock N Roll.

PEP 8)

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:48 am

Yeah it was depressing to listen to that...

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:03 pm

PEP wrote:Any Gene Vincent fans that would like to comment on the interview as to what your view is as to what he was doing here?
Did Vincent believe the B/S he was talking about or was he just giving the interviewer the gears or was he on something or just an A Whole washed up has been with a chip on his shoulders?

Maybe he'd told the story so often he'd started to believe it himself !

Obviously, he came along after Elvis & Carl.

The Capitol record company auditioned for an Elvis-sound-alike & Gene got the job !

Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:11 pm

Gene Vincent once shot at Gary Glitter sometime in the Mid-60's when Glitter was known as Paul Gadd.

When Gene Vincent was in Germany doing a tour, he found Glitter with one of Gene's girlfriends so Gene decided to shoot Glitter.

Cant blame him for trying to do that.

Top bloke. :wink:

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Bodie wrote:Gene Vincent once shot at Gary Glitter sometime in the Mid-60's when Glitter was known as Paul Gadd.

When Gene Vincent was in Germany doing a tour, he found Glitter with one of Gene's girlfriends so Gene decided to shoot Glitter.

Shame he missed!

8)

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:24 pm

Bodie wrote:Gene Vincent once shot at Gary Glitter sometime in the Mid-60's when Glitter was known as Paul Gadd.

Any girlfriend of Gene's would be a tad old for Glitter's taste, wouldn't she ?

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:18 am

PEP wrote:Very cool and rare footage I just found, Vincent certainly was a Rocker till the end, funny thing is it appears there are younger people in this audience that he says in the interview that do no longer come to his shows anymore, this certainly must of made him happy if that were really the case most of the time for this show.
phpBB [video]

I wonder if Elvis would have ended up sort of like this by this time, if the movies would never have happened in the 60's.

Meaning by this time playing small clubs, but more Rock N Roll.

PEP 8)

this footage is from a bbc documentary called the last of the great rocknroll singers gene was still putting on a great show but it very sad viewing such a rocknroll legend playing such small venues and not allways getting paid.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:20 am

TIGERMAN-GB wrote:By this time Gene was in quite a bad way himself,

8)

well said.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:40 am

rocknroller wrote:
TIGERMAN-GB wrote:By this time Gene was in quite a bad way himself,

8)

well said.

Thank you.

8)

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 pm

TIGERMAN-GB wrote:

Shame he missed!

8)

I have an old bbc radio rock n roll documentary on cassette and it talks about the Glitter - Vincent incident. They interview a guy from a local german band that was staying in the hotel (Hotel Metropole on the Reeperbahn) at the same time. Even though on 'This Is Your Life' Glitter says Vincent tried to shoot him over a girlfriend, the local musician claims that Vincent took a dislike to Glitter (then known as Paul Raven) days before because Gary was strutting around like he owned the place and being rude to some of the waitresses. Days later when he knew Glitter was partying in his room Gene Vincent knocked on the door, pushed past the girl who opened it and fired FOUR shots at Gary Glitter (Gene being extremely drunk missed by a good distance) . The very next day a petrified Glitter was on the next available flight back to the UK and when a badly hungover Gene Vincent was woken up the next day he claimed not to remember anything about the night before.
Gene really was 101% Rock n Roll