R.I.P. Mike Smith

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

R.I.P. Mike Smith

Post by Little Darlin »

Mike Smith of 60s group The Dave Clark Five has died aged 64.

He died on Thursday from pneumonia at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, agent Margo Lewis said.

Smith, the band's lead singer and keyboardist, was admitted to the hospital's intensive care unit on Wednesday with a chest infection.

He had been in hospital since September 2003 following a spinal cord injury that left him a tetraplegic. He was released in December when he moved to a specially-prepared home near the hospital with his wife.

He had been preparing to travel to New York to be inducted into the American Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame with his band mates on March 10.

Ms Lewis said: "These last five years were extremely difficult for Mike.

"I am incredibly saddened to lose him, his energy and his humour, but I am comforted by the fact that he had the chance to spend his final months and days at home with his loving wife, Charlie, whom he adored, instead of in the hospital, and that he was able to attend a recent concert in London by his good friend, Bruce Springsteen.

"He was extremely excited and honoured to have been inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame and I am glad that he will be remembered as a 'Hall of Famer', because he was in so many ways."

The Dave Clark Five were second only to the Beatles in the Great British Invasion of the US.

d07002a.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

javilu
Registered for: 21 years

Re: R.I.P. Mike Smith

Post by javilu »

No doubt one of the greatest rock n' roll voices. He will be missed!
Having a wild weekend
Javier

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

Suspicious Minds
Registered for: 17 years

Re: R.I.P. Mike Smith

Post by Suspicious Minds »

Will we get a Dave Clark Five Greatests Hits album now that Mike Smith has died.
You never see their greatests hits albums anywhere on-line.

R.I.P

Mike Smith

Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

ImageImageImage