Respect Yourself ~ The Stax Records Story

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
JEFF d
Registered for: 21 years

Respect Yourself ~ The Stax Records Story

Post by JEFF d »

Has anyone else seen this wonderfull documentary on Stax studios in Memphis? I picked up the Dvd, after a friends recomendation in Memphis this last Elvis week... I knew the Elvis connection and had certainly heard of some of the other artists that recorded there. Sadly the orginal site of the studio has been raised but they have built a new studio that is an exact replica of the original... I think its down by FedEx Forum in Memphis(not sure) Something new to look forward to seeing on my next trip to Memphis though! Oh... yes they don't even mention that Elvis had recorded their also... which I thought they should have at least said something about that! Anyway its a good documentary, if you are interested in Memphis history. :D

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

KingOfTheJungle

Re: Respect Yourself ~ The Stax Records Story

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

The rebuilt Stax isn't by the Forum, that's the Rock N' Soul Museum

Stax is where it always has been- 926 E. McLemore, the heart of the "ghetto"

The documentary is good, but I was disappointed it wasn't more in-depth about some of the great artists talked about in the film, it felt kinda rushed to me, but the producers did a fairly good job, given the 2 hour time slot they were working within. Stax should have a four hour documentary so it could be expolred at greater length, and complete performance segments included.

IF you really want a mind-blowing Stax DVD experience, check out "I've Got Dreams To Remember: The Legacy Of Otis Redding" or the new DVD of the Stax/Volt Revue in Oslo from 1967 WOW!

King Of The Jungle

Topic author
JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Yes, I'm totally getting those other two Dvds you mentioned... the Otis Redding and also Booker T and the MGs performances gave me goosbumps/chills soooooo GOOD! I agree, even at two hours in lenght they could have even made a longer and more in debth program... but it is still very very good! :D

So they rebilt it on the orginal site then..... even cooler!

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Claus

Post by Claus »

KingOfTheJungle wrote:The documentary is good, but I was disappointed it wasn't more in-depth about some of the great artists talked about in the film, it felt kinda rushed to me, but the producers did a fairly good job, given the 2 hour time slot they were working within. Stax should have a four hour documentary so it could be expolred at greater length, and complete performance segments included.

IF you really want a mind-blowing Stax DVD experience, check out "I've Got Dreams To Remember: The Legacy Of Otis Redding" or the new DVD of the Stax/Volt Revue in Oslo from 1967 WOW!
It has been rumoured that a longer version of the documentary is scheduled for 2008.