Registered for: 19 years

Post by TCB TED »

Cryo, not as bad as I expected.
You can actually hear her voice up front, she's in tune, and
the lyrics make sense.
Considering her downward spiral of late, this was a nice
change of pace.
She can put the product out there, now she needs a
rock solid management team to organize a comeback.

Topic author
Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Yes, TCB TED. It's not like she's about to become the next Ella Fitzgerald or anything, but her voice has a lot more presence -- and it ain't half bad. She definitely needs the right people behind her now.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Pete Dube »

She also needs to stop making a pubic ... err I mean public spectacle of herself. Wearing panties would be a good start! :)

genesim

Post by genesim »

Since when is it against the law to go commando?

All this can be great publicity(including umbrella smashing) unless of course you never come up with the product.

I admit it though, I am a sucker for it. And one thing is for sure, it was a change that needed to happen.

While the teenybopper train was rode for quite a while, it had to stop somewhere. This has all been a necessary change. "I'm Not a Girl, But Not Yet A Woman" wasn't going to cut it.

Instead it should be "I'm a frickin' PYSCHO like we all can be at times if the camera was put on most all our lives in the same situation...along with a few bottles of booze :D ".

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

I've never been a big fan of hers, don't have a single CD. However, There can be no doubt that the girl has some talent. You don't sell as many albums as she has on mere sex appeal alone. If that were the case, Elvis would be the biggest selling single artist in the world....hey wait. Bottom line, she has had some "popular" music in the past and I truly do hate that the main focus over the last few years has been on that white trash train wreck of a life of hers.
I sincerely hope that she can get her baby-spouting, cooter showing, **** together and get back to the music.

Tom

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Re: Britney can really sing!

Post by TJ »

Cryogenic wrote:Her new single:

http://perezhilton.com/?p=4290

Scroll down and click the play button.

No she can't :wink:

As soon as this moves out of very safe vocal territory it's appalling.

genesim

Post by genesim »

The only time Britney crapped out was on the high "sad" and "scared"...but matching Cher's pipes isn't exactly an easy feat.

What I do know is that even with no supposed studio enhancement her voice is very distinctive and I welcome a return.

Tom,

I am shocked that there is some kind of compliment in there. I think people do care about the white trash, and I can't imagine why she hasn't stepped back into the studio, but the anticipation may be part of a huge plan.
I sincerely hope that she can get her baby-spouting
Whats wrong with that?

As it stands, the rumblings of taking her kids away are totally obscene. I was thumbing through an "OK" magazine at work and they talk about her running around naked or scantily clothed around her kids(OH MY GOD NOOOOOO!!) or her screaming that they are a pain in the ass and mistakes(OH MY GOD NOOOOO!!) or that she was taking a pill and drinking clear liquid that both COULD have been drugs and booze(OH MY GOD NOOOOOO!).

All I have to say is CONTEXT PEOPLE! We are missing perception of the truth by a bunch of frickin' tabloids. All of us have maken mistakes...all of us continue to make them, that is human. Still Britney is quite young and hey...the last picture I saw (which seems to be plenty) with her kids they were actually strapped in car seats. :D

Before we go ripping kids out of moms arms lets first take a look at how many don't have homes. There is absolutely no evidence of abuse and a young single mother should be supported not ripped apart in the news on a daily basis.

Hell, at least have the common decency to leave the kids out of it who have absolutely nothing to do with her stardom. Some of the camera men should have their faces punched in for hounding those kids the way they do. Britney is one thing, but time alone with her young ones is an entirely different story. Even if it is out shopping.

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

TJ

Post by TJ »

genesim wrote:The only time Britney crapped out was on the high "sad" and "scared"...but matching Cher's pipes isn't exactly an easy feat.
The rest was very average and as soon as there was a slightly challenging note (and it should only be slightly for a reasonable singer), she didn't have the voice for it. The girl is a weak singer who relies on a huge amount of studio production to give her a distinctive sound. She's cute and a good dancer, but you'd be hard pressed to find an amateur who gigs small clubs with a voice that lacking in range.

genesim

Post by genesim »

Tj,

Yeah right.

First of all, most of the "talented" singers have vocal coaches and they are learned. You hone your skills with practice.

Secondly, Madonna has terrible range, but it didn't stop her from being a dominate force and the two are very comparable...except Britney is actually more popular then Madonna at this age and point in her career.

So many are willing to count Britney out just because she has faltered a little in her personal life.

I could care less about "range", because if I want that, I will go to an opera or as another pointed out...go to an Ella record.

Britney is entertaining and very capable of performing catchy songs. You are looking for meaning where there is none. That said, I cannot agree with you. The little goofy cover that you posted was actually quite entertaining and not meant to be earth shattering...yet it did have a little charm. And to me, that performance was proof that her distinctive voice is all over the albums. I always knew it was her, and you cannot tell me that she doesn't have a sound.

You may want her to break into the national anthem, but you miss the whole point that the verses on something as simple as Toxic are all her(and yes I know about the backup singer).

It sickens me to hear the same old crap over and over about how she relies on studio..yada yada. The same thing I heard about Madonna growing up. Yet those fools might as well be polishing her toilet now. Some get it..and some don't.
you'd be hard pressed to find an amateur who gigs small clubs with a voice that lacking in range.
This statement is so devoid of any kind of clarity, it is really hard to take the rest seriously.

You may not like her..fine, but to imply that she is a hack is not only showing your obvious hate, but it actually shows no understanding of what a "no talent" really is. Christina may have "range", but it is obvious to me that noone gives a crap about capability. Charisma and pure entertainment in many cases can be just as important.

Still, I like her voice, and other then some obvious vocal training problems, she is fun to listent to. Go out to the clubs. Hell turn on your TV. There is no comparison! On many a tv show Britney has actually did some one offs with no instrumentation and no help. Her voice is fine.

Also, much of this can come from having a younger undeveloped voice....which for some people can take many years to mature. Are you aware of this as well? At 26 she is at the point that Madonna was when she was BEGINNING HER POP CAREER! Yet was it not Madonna who fronted Evita?? I couldn't believe that she actually pulled it off so well, that actually people starting taking her voice very seriously(I still think it is weak though). Now compare that to her earlier stuff and you wouldn't have a clue that she was even capable.

You judge too harsh TJ...way too harsh.
and it should only be slightly for a reasonable singer
More BS. That was a "slight". That part of the song is difficult to sing. If it wasn't Cher wouldn't hold the note so well. It has a soulfulness that most singers can't pull off. It isn't just "hitting the note", but also getting the same feeling. With a little practice there is no doubt in my mind Britney could pull it off, because she almost did as a joke. That crack didn't come from lack of range(though I agree her voice does have limitations) rather it came from lack of taking it that seriously.

I am sure none of this will convince you though. In time if Britney gets back in the studio it will probably be shoved so far into your face you will have to recognize, just like so many did with Madonna. I still laugh about that. Gee that little "minnie mouse" sure lasted alot longer then the naysayers predicted. I called it then, and I call it now.

Britney will last as long as she wants too. The growth on this next album can be astounding if she puts enough effort into it.

TJ

Post by TJ »

genesim wrote:
Britney is entertaining and very capable of performing catchy songs.

You are looking for meaning where there is none.
Sure. I never said otherwise. That doesn't make her the colossal talent you seem to portray her as though.
genesim wrote:
It sickens me to hear the same old crap over and over about how she relies on studio..yada yada. The same thing I heard about Madonna growing up. Yet those fools might as well be polishing her toilet now. Some get it..and some don't.
Get used to hearing it, because it happens to be true. I suppose there is no autotuning on Britney records?
tj wrote:you'd be hard pressed to find an amateur who gigs small clubs with a voice that lacking in range.
genesim wrote: This statement is so devoid of any kind of clarity, it is really hard to take the rest seriously.
It was an honest assessment. If a girl leads a local band and they are good enough to get gigs, in my experience the girl tends to have a much stronger voice than Britney Spears. That's not because they are phenomenal vocalists, it's because Britney is limited.
genesim wrote:
You may not like her..fine, but to imply that she is a hack is not only showing your obvious hate, but it actually shows no understanding of what a "no talent" really is. Christina may have "range", but it is obvious to me that noone gives a crap about capability. Charisma and pure entertainment in many cases can be just as important.
Calm down. I don't hate her in the least. I don't even dislike her. A few of her tracks are pretty catchy and she's perfectly watchable. She's just not a strong singer and that's not likely to change. When someone makes an incredible living singing, I tend to think they should have a greater gift for it than Britney possesses.

genesim

Post by genesim »

She is not a ballerina either, so what is your point.

John Lennon didn't have range..many greats don't have exactly the greatest vocals, it isn't indicative of squat.

The fact that you somehow play this as such a flaw is comical.

No offense..and I am calm. :D

Though you are wrong I never potrayed her as a "colossal" talent in your terms. But she does have other positives. Her songs are very enjoyable, but you are right, there are many like you who will criticize her yet are deaf to so many others(mostly men) who have no range and point to them as if they are the second coming.

Britney has just as much as they do. A gifted entertainer, and there is nothing wrong with that.

TJ

Post by TJ »

genesim wrote:She is not a ballerina either, so what is your point.

John Lennon didn't have range..many greats don't have exactly the greatest vocals, it isn't indicative of squat.

The fact that you somehow play this as such a flaw is comical.

No offense..and I am calm. :D

Though you are wrong I never potrayed her as a "colossal" talent in your terms. But she does have other positives. Her songs are very enjoyable, but you are right, there are many like you who will criticize her yet are deaf to so many others(mostly men) who have no range and point to them as if they are the second coming.

Britney has just as much as they do. A gifted entertainer, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Actually, limited vocal ability is something I readily moan about with a lot of artists :) In some cases, entertainers bring so much to the table in terms of charisma, songwriting ability, stage presence, etc that they manage to make up for their less than great vocals. I don't really see that in Britney, but I guess you see something I don't.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Cryogenic wrote:Yes, TCB TED. It's not like she's about to become the next Ella Fitzgerald or anything ...
Oh, but Ella could have really made "Oops!...I Did It Again" her own.

As for John Lennon -- please, one of the greatest rock and roll voices of all time brooks no comparison to someone like Britney. Let's hear her sing "God" with just a piano and bass backing.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

genesim

Post by genesim »

How do you like the Doc bait...works just like cheese! :D

On the counter...lets hear John sing "Hit Me Baby One More Time" with matching outfit....ewwwww(in my best Ernest P. Worrel impression).

P.S.

People stay tuned. If she shows the VMA's on September 9th, it should be one to remember...trainwreck or not.

With her working on a new album, I anxiously await what could be a great transition. One thing is for sure...the Teeny Bop period is over and it is time to put the cards on the table. Its on like cracker jack!

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

By God Genesim your heroic defence of Britney has inspired me! I'll be posting on the merits of Hillary Duff in the very near future. Laugh if you will, but at least she hasn't shown her pelt in public ... well not yet anyway!

genesim

Post by genesim »

And that is a bad thing. :twisted:

On a side note...Hillary Duff couldn't hold Britneys "G". :P

TJ

Post by TJ »

genesim wrote:
Might be kinda fun to see her try :)

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

TJ wrote:
genesim wrote:
Doesn't do anything for me. But if we're talkin' Jessicas Alba and Biel I'm there!

TJ

Post by TJ »

Pete Dube wrote:
TJ wrote:
genesim wrote:
Doesn't do anything for me. But if we're talkin' Jessicas Alba and Biel I'm there!

Oh, I dunno Pete....

Think I could be tempted. :)