A question to FECC

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ChrisM
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ChrisM »

Steve_M wrote: I dont visit here very often anymore anyway so I admit to being out of touch on some things, guess i must have missed the obvious if you feel it really was that obvious.
Steve,

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and bring you up to speed via PM.

Chris

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

sam wrote:
Steve_M wrote: We have the names of the mods on here for example, boomerang and the boss but are we any the wiser as to their identity ?
I think I know who one of them was!!!!

:lol:
I guess the BOSS is someone who likes Bruce Springsteen, more than most...now who could that be.

And to me BOOMERANG is almost self evident.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 27, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Steve_M wrote:Kiwi, I think you fell into the "obvious" trap. :lol:
Are you saying that somebody would actually want to pretend they are a particular doctor?

Are they insane?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Here's a quick quiz for everyone.

After the "Administrator" and "fecc" accounts had been created, guess who's "user" account was first to be set up? Total coincidence, I'm sure.

Chris

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

It is their forum. I personally have never felt censored on this board and have found very few deleted posts or threads in the time that I have been posting. In fact often times, the administration has been amazingly tolerant of personal feuds and disturbing quotes which is its prerogative.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Steve_M wrote:Well the boss is still there and the boomerang is not listed as a mod any longer, but i dont know who either was.
I'll make a prediction about 'Boomerang'...........

............he'll be back !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

likethebike wrote:have found very few deleted posts or threads
...err, you wouldn't, would you, because they would have been deleted!

(See above for the "it's their forum" counterargument).

Chris

sam

Post by sam »

likethebike wrote:It is their forum. I personally have never felt censored on this board and have found very few deleted posts or threads in the time that I have been posting. In fact often times, the administration has been amazingly tolerant of personal feuds and disturbing quotes which is its prerogative.
Yes, unless it was the Doc being proven WRONG or making a fool of himself...those posts disappear very quickly!!!! :wink:

So quickly some wouldn't notice them.

8)

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

For what it's worth, I think Chris M makes some okay points....

And why not put that "M" after all real moderator names? It seems to work on the site he mentions.

And the guidelines of the forum really need to be evenly equitably followed or else I would just prefer more of an open forum, with people taking their lumps as need be. I'm reminded (although I'm surely butchering this) of Thomas Jefferson's comment that if he had to choose between newspapers and government, he'd always choose the freedom of speech embodied by a free press over any sort of "wisdom" the controls of government offer...

As for Chris' other comments, I do think we've lost some of the zest of this board by throwing people out over the years, not that they haven't always worked overtime to "earn" it.

I recall how this place particularly used to "hop" and sometimes you can see it's barely moving. Some of this I attribute not to us running out of things to say about Elvis (although there's some of that) but that the population or head count is (or wasn't) what it was just a few years ago.

In the name of civility, we may lose some of the vibrancy of the board. On the other hand, having re-visited alt.king.elvis, I see the dangers of having no standards and no active moderator. There's a neo-Nazi or two over there (or at least someone playing one) and you have to wonder how that is allowed to go on. And what's with that inflamatory comment about Elvis' weight and death?

I would like to see more of a "penalty box" approach instead of outright banning of individuals, and less of the one-sided badgering sometimes done in the name of civility and often swaggering displays of one's possession of knowledge - and subjective opinions.

For most of us, we come at this still as fans of varying degrees of obsesiveness, commitment, knowledge but ultimately tied together as Elvis fans. Let's celebrate that more rather than jumping all over it.

Perhaps the "time-out" here may have given people a reminder of the postives of the forum. Enjoy it ...and try to keep it going..

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:On the other hand, having re-visited alt.king.elvis, I see the dangers of having no standards and no active moderator...and you have to wonder how that is allowed to go on.
alt.elvis.king is a newsgroup, not a Message Board. Newsgroups can't be moderated because they don't exist on a single server.

Chris