Review--New Dr. Ebbetts Beatles "Hollywood Bowl" R

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Buffalo Wings
Registered for: 21 years

Review--New Dr. Ebbetts Beatles "Hollywood Bowl" R

Post by Buffalo Wings »

Recently released by Dr. Ebbetts are 3 variations of the "Hollywood Bowl" concerts from '64 and '65 as part of his additions to his catalog of Beatles titles. These are not official cannon titles but new creations as if Capitol released these in the 60's on vinyl and they went out of print, never to surface again on CD, just like the mid-70's official "Beatles at The Hollywood Bowl" release.

First up is "Live at The Hollywood Bowl', the 1964 show released in fold down mono to replicate as faithfully as possible the original mono acetate that circulated on the collector's circuit now for over 20 years. Dr. Ebbetts took the raw stereo tapes available on bootleg in excellent 3 track stereo sound quality, and matched up the concert exactly as the acetate is edited, to make it a bit smoother in terms of flow. With a touch of slight reverb to match the mono acetate, Dr. Ebbetts has created the best sounding mono version of this well know acetate. It has much better fidelity throughout. It has much more punch and vitality and clarity than the acetate. It sounds fantastic played loud! It's definitely a must have for sound quality if you want to replicate the original acetate's presentation, yet sounding like it came from the vault's master tape of this album. The artwork is cool. It's the suggested artwork from Bruce Spizer's book and really does look like a mock Beatles live album! This one you'll
like--this one is the recommended "Hollywood Bowl" CD out of the 3 he just issued. The other two, entitled"Live at The Hollywood Bowl...Again" are a mono fold down and stereo version of the August 30, 1965 show. Once again, cool artwork and great sound quality! The show's are of lesser quality performances than the '64 show. I'm not and have never been a fan of "what if" fan mix CDs (such as the mulitude of attempts to reconstruct the Beach Boys unreleased "Smile" album), though they are noble attempts and fun. The quality on both the mono fold down and stereo versions of the '65 show are just as excellent. The same love and devotion went into the creation of these two albums as if Capitol might have released them in '65. Since we don't have an acetate or a possible project number from Capitol on this one, I have to say these aren't neccessary to your collection as I feel the first disc above (the '64 mono fold down) is. If you have to or need to get a live Beatles disc I highly recommend the mono "Live at The Hollywood Bowl". If you have the unedited '65 shows from Midnight Beat or Vigotone then you're in fine shape and don't need these mono and stereo versions of the '65 show.

Regards,
Buffalo Wings
:)

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, over?"

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Thanks for info!! :)

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Thanks for the info, Buffalo Wings - always enjoy your Beatles reviews. Are there any cuts from the Aug. 29, 1965 show on these discs? Supposedly that tape was ruined by microphone problmes with Paul's mic.

Two questions for you: (1) Have you picked up the new book detailing the remining unreleased Beatles film and audio out there? (2) Has anyone released anymore additional Beatles BBC material? I have both the original Great Dane box (with special 10th disc) and the remastered Purple Chick set from 2004 with some additional performances located.

Thanks,
Mike

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

If IO could afford it, I'd pick up every disc in the Dr. Ebbett's catalog. He's simply THE BEST. Thanks for the reviews, I may just want to get his version of the 1977 Capital LP release.

The "new" Beatles book mentioned by Mike C has nothing of significance that I could determine while browsing at my local bookstore.

A deep fan should seek out this two volume, definitive and amazing work: "Way Beyond Compare" and "That Magic Feeling," both by John C. Winn:

multiplus books

They blew my mind, and I've been chasing the Beatles story for many years.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Buffalo Wings

Post by Buffalo Wings »

The books Dr. John Carpenter recommends are essential. Btw I find
myself listening most often to this new Ebbetts Hollywood Bowl '64
mono fold down release often. It kicks-butt. Play it loud in mono!

Regards,
Buffalo Wings

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The 1964 recording also shows how excellent they remained as a live unit -- all with NO stage monitors! There wouldn't be a significant drop off until the final tours in June-July-August 1966.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Buffalo Wings

Post by Buffalo Wings »

Fans and even Lennon claim they were at their most creative best live
in late '63. I tend to believe it, but they did put on some fantastic
shows right thru the end of '65 (including their British Christmas '65 tour than included the rare performace of We Can Work It Out, that's never
been booted yet).

Regards,
Buffalo Wings

The Purple Gang
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by The Purple Gang »

Nice to read some interesting and informative comment about the Beatles on an Elvis mb. Thanks! But is this the only place it can be found?

Does anyone know of any Beatles messageboards that are as good as this one ... (but dedicated to the Beatles rather than Elvis)?

No sig.

Topic author
Buffalo Wings

Post by Buffalo Wings »

Go to the Bootlegzone message board. Same format as here and
it's for collectors, just like this board. I post there under the moniker "Beatle Bob".

http://www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB2/index.php

Hope to see you there!

Regards,
Buffalo Wings
aka "Beatle Bob