Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Buffalo Wings
Registered for: 21 years

Review-Beatles (Dr. Ebbetts)"Blue Box" Titles

Post by Buffalo Wings »

[u][b]Review – Latest Beatles Dr. Ebbetts “Blue Box” titles: [/b][/u]

Due to the fact that some “already know” what I’m going to write about these new “Blue Box” Dr. Ebbetts releases, I’ll try and make this short and sweet and to the point. I never cease to be amazed by Dr. Ebbetts efforts. Every time a package arrives, I always say to myself “[i]how can
he top his last efforts? It can’t get any better[/i]”. Well it does! And with the latest batch of “Blue Box” Beatles releases I am pleasantly surprised like a kid in a candy store. Each release seems to get better and better. Yes, sometimes there is a mistake on an album’s insert reproduction, and he will humbly fix it and send out the correction free of charge and offers free upgrades of titles that he’s found even better pristine sources of. I’ve said it before and will say it again; “[i]Who else attempts this type of customer service in the Beatleg world? Nobody[/i]!” Dealers in the old days or even now won’t even let you exchange a title if there’s a glitch/mistake, etc. Aside from all that, what’s important is the packaging, complete with the EMITEX logo (still I challenge EMI/Capitol to make them look this good. Example: Look at the Capitol Albums Vol. 1 & 2 reproductions—they just don’t compare to Ebbetts!)and the sound! And that’s what I and you want to know about. The first batch he released this past June, I was reluctant to compare to the MFSL or the UK stereo versions, thinking they couldn’t be that much better to warrant possessing these. I was wrong then and I kind of tried to play these new ones down as I didn’t want to have high expectations.

In the latest batch are the “Blue Box” releases of “[b]The Beatles[/b]” (White Album)UK Stereo LP, “[b]Yellow Submarine[/b]” UK Stereo LP, “[b]Abbey Road[/b]” UK Stereo LP, “[b]Let It Be[/b]” UK Stereo LP. Most hardcore collectors feel these version released in 1978 represent the the best versions of the EMI UK stereo LPs. I will not reveiw these track by track but in a more general sense as to keep this short. His new transfers I’ve compared to his MFSL CD transfers, his UK stereo CD transfers and the legitimate Capitol CDs. For me, these “Blue Box” transfers feel warmer, more natural and spacious (while the MFSL still aren’t bad at all--they have some EQ on them), but when you put them side by side, you hear a more natural presence—a balanced and smoother reproduction on the ears than any of the above that I did an a-b comparison. The Capitol legitimate discs don’t come near the sound, presenece, ambiance of these new releases. These new releases play a notch louder too and whether it’s via the stereo speakers or headphones, it comes as close to a transfer from tape that you can get from pristine vinyl, good ears and good equipment will provide. Once again I’m pleasantly surprised about these “Blue Box” titles. For harcores like me, once again I suggest you need these! If you have his older UK stereo LPs or MFSL transfers you’re also in very good shape. On these new releases you’ll hear things in a new light. Hardcores like me will study each track, (speakers and headphones used) to see how it plays in different listening situations. Vocals in the headphone appear crystal clear. Cymbals, certain guitar licks pierce thru your ears connecting your two ear canals as one. Ear Chunnel! With the speakers I find a better low end with the bass and on the high ends there is nothing squelched or compressed. If Capitol never comes out with their remasters I’ll be perfectly happy with these as a represention of the best sound on these titles, for the rest of my life!

Love to know what everyone thinks about their discs when they receive them to compare notes!

More reviews coming shortly!

Happy Hunting and enjoy!

Regards,
Buffalo Wings
:)

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, over?"