Off Topic Messages

Lisa gets a very bad review

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:40 pm

"Her voice is passable, nothing more. Her band is barely that. And she has the stage presence of a nervous teenager playing in public for the first time. This is the daughter of the King?"

Read the rest of the (very bad) review:
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news ... EVIEW.html

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:22 pm

No offense meant, but it probably won't be the last one.

Tom

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:49 pm

She is still really new on the scene, hopefully she is studying her own "soundboard" tapes so she can see how to better improve in her personal appearances. I have liked what I have seen on TV so far(her new video is really great!) but I haven't got to see her in person.....
JEFF d
Elvis fan!
Last edited by JEFF d on Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:58 pm

Jeff,
I agree. I just think that maybe she should have done a few shows to build up her confidence and stage presence before jumping onto Letterman or wherever. I can't think of too many singers whose debut CD would get anywhere near this kind of exposure. While I'm sure she will greatly improve, right now she's a rookie in the big leagues and it is painfully obvious.

Tom

P.S. Jeff, not to worry: she's still HOT!!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:12 pm

I heard a while back that "No Doubt" & "Garbage" were touring together, I think this would have been a great first tour for Lisa to have been on so she could see some other modern rock chicks in the thick of action. And so she could see how to pace herself on the road with a buch of guys. Just a thought......
JEFF d
EPFAN

Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:35 pm

She is having a 'baptism of fire' with the world-wide spotlight on her.

All the little mistakes, gaffes, poor decisions etc that new performers make on stage anonymously before they hit the big-time, she is making with the public, press and critics watching intently.

She will emerge a more mature, worldly-wise performer and be all the better for it.

Watch out for a full-blown blues album one day !

Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:41 am

I didn't see the show in question, but from what I have seen of Lisa so far, I would say the review was pretty fair. She has a ways to go before being a top-notch talent; in fact, she may never get there.

It is a difficult situation for her, but one she should have expected. Because of her name, she has been given audiences such as the NBA Finals, NBC "Today" show, late-night talk shows, etc. Very few artists, if any, get to take such an immediate leap into the arena. As Colin stated, it is a baptism by fire. She had no real outlet to "cut her teeth" before stepping out.

I do give her a lot of credit for trying. None of us can remotely appreciate what kind of personal pressures she is under.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:37 pm

KHoots good point. She may never get there. I wish she would have started earlier. Lisa Marie needs to watch...and I mean really watch herself. I think the best thing that could happen is that after her touring is done, she feels Embarrassed by her album. Not that I think it is horrible...but that in the end she will feel that she can do much better. All this I agree happens with time.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:28 pm

Why would she be embaressed by the album? Its excellent, and has got lots of very favorable review! I personally don't think she was shooting for the "Elvis" fan to be her audience, becase that is reallly going to be a no win situation for her. She has terrible stage fright, she said on Letterman that she got so nervous one night she about threw up on stage. She just need to chill, and let herself get lost in the music when she is performing it.........
JEFF d
EPFAN

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:55 pm

Hey, get this sh*t I was just surfing the "Heart" MB and they have an off-topic section as well, well I found a thread where they were just raving about Lisa! One girl had just seen Lisa in concert and said she didn't really know what to expect, and said that the concert was really really great! So THERE!!!!!!! lol
JEFF d
EPFAN