CMA awards 2006 - murder on music row?

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
philobeddo
Registered for: 21 years

CMA awards 2006 - murder on music row?

Post by philobeddo »

I just watched the 2006 CMA awards on BBC2. Man first of all the sound was just awfull. It had a real bad music mix, but that was it for the last some 10 years i guess. But my problem with the whole thing is that most of the "stars"make no sence in any way. It reminds me of the 2000 version of Alan Jackson & George Strait song: murder on music row. They complain in that song that country music is changing in no good rock songs. Well they're right so bad. Except some oldies (Strait, Jackson) the whole show was a blur and boring.

"Right turn Clyde"

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

Did you happen to catch the Faith Hill's live on-camera reaction to Carrie Underwood winning Female Vocalist of the year??? It was a big stink here in the states. Faith's excuse was that she didn't know she was on camera, which is a bold faced lie. There was a camera guy right in front of her and they are told prior to the show that they are going to be on. Plus, she looked right into the camera several times before Carrie's name was read. I think she made a complete ass out of herself and then tried to cover it up with lies.

Tom

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Did you happen to catch the Faith Hill's live on-camera reaction to Carrie Underwood winning Female Vocalist of the year??? It was a big stink here in the states. Faith's excuse was that she didn't know she was on camera, which is a bold faced lie. There was a camera guy right in front of her and they are told prior to the show that they are going to be on. Plus, she looked right into the camera several times before Carrie's name was read. I think she made a complete ass out of herself and then tried to cover it up with lies.

Tom
Very odd reaction. Do you think that someone might have told her (inaccurately) before the show that she had won?

Tom in North Carolina

That's a possibility, although no one would have known that for sure. She said that 1.) she didn't know there was a camera on her. (yeah, right) and then 2.) she changed her story to say that it was all a joke and she knew the camera was hot.

Tom

Claus

Post by Claus »

It looked like a joke to me.

Rob

Re: CMA awards 2006 - murder on music row?

Post by Rob »

philobeddo wrote:They complain in that song that country music is changing in no good rock songs. Well they're right so bad. Except some oldies (Strait, Jackson) the whole show was a blur and boring.
I used to be such a country fan. Things took a turn that I didn't care for in the 90's and I jumped off of the bandwagon. If I watched an awards show nowdays, I wouldn't begin to know who anyone was.

Thankfully, there is a thing called Sirius Satellite Radio.

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

I quit watching these country awards shows a few years ago. I just don't care for many of the country stars of today.

I heard that the ratings we're very low for the show last week.

RKS

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Outside of the country community, the Faith Hill incident didn't get much play in the states. Ironically, except for a cookie-cutter statement, Faith has not said a word about her reaction.

What she did was a complete meltdown. I was wondering if she wasn't on something. I know that sounds strange to believe Faith Hill might be "on" anything, but the word is that she was once quite a cokehead. Her reaction was very amateurish, unprofessional, bush league, and ego-driven. A "joke"? I don't think so. Since when is that the proper forum to launch into a comedic career, anyway?

Leann Rimes came out a few days later and tried to "help" Faith by saying she was probably reacting to the fact that Carrie Underwood has been around a very short time and hasn't paid her dues, etc. Rimes indicated that Underwood having won the Horizon award (Up-and-coming artist) was enough, and that she shouldn't have also won "Female Vocalist of the Year." Rimes's words only echoed the beliefs of many country artists who are in support of Faith's outrage are in the same camp--they are envious because Underwood hasn't stumped the honky-tonks for years on end before getting awards heaped upon her.

I deal with record reps in Nashville regularly, and most of them have indicated that what we saw on that show was the "real Faith Hill."

Post by Guest »

For those who have or haven't seen the Faith Hill incident here you go.

There was a few different versions to chose from, but I opted for this guys, once you see it the reasons will become clear..

Tom, I think you will appreciate what this guy has said & done here.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I only saw the Faith Hill clip on Youtube but I think she has forgotten that American Idol had a lot of followers and maybe that had something to do with Carrie Underwood being more popular than her this year :)

Post by Guest »

Tom?

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Maybe it's just me, but there's something about Tim Mcgraw that makes me dislike him. Now I obviously don't know the man, so he could be a pretty good guy for all I know, but to me he gives off a "jerk" vibe. If I'm right about this then maybe he's rubbed off on his wife.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

Pete Dube wrote:maybe he's rubbed off on his wife.
I would think he's done that on many occasions :wink:

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

TJ wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:maybe he's rubbed off on his wife.
I would think he's done that on many occasions :wink:
:lol:

Tom in North Carolina

Pseudonym wrote:For those who have or haven't seen the Faith Hill incident here you go.

There was a few different versions to chose from, but I opted for this guys, once you see it the reasons will become clear..

Tom, I think you will appreciate what this guy has said & done here.
Pseudonym wrote:Tom?
Sadly, I think the narrator of that clip makes some very valid points about us as a society.

Tom

P.S. I have it from a very reliable source that this was not a joke, nor did she forget about the camera. This is Faith Hill.

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

KHoots wrote:Outside of the country community, the Faith Hill incident didn't get much play in the states. Ironically, except for a cookie-cutter statement, Faith has not said a word about her reaction.
Sorry but this is quite wrong as this was shown on ET and every Entertainment magazine show there is.... and also shown on local and National news the next day. Its still being discussed on a number of messageboard i frequent as well.

As for my opinion... who knows... sour grapes, possible. Why when you are on a NATIONAL Tv show that is the pennical(sp) of your industry chose to make this "joke"... now if it was on the CMT awards i could see that, but not on the CMAs. There is a HUGE differance in the two. I personally think these Nashville "stars" are running scared now that they see some new blood coming into the industry... and I'm sure that they are also not so thrilled with Carrie taking over their turf so to speak, also because she is backed by the whole "American Idol" machine. People get all up in arms over AI, to me its a good way for perfomers to finally get heard... there are sooo many paths to that road of fame and AI is just another tool.

I like Carrie myself as a fellow Okie and think she is quite talented and not too hard on the eyes either... but never was a Faith Hill fan.

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

KHoots wrote: Rimes's words only echoed the beliefs of many country artists who are in support of Faith's outrage are in the same camp--they are envious because Underwood hasn't stumped the honky-tonks for years on end before getting awards heaped upon her.
Sry KHoots I also wanted to comment on this because you brought it up, I'm not picking on you buddy really I'm not! :D This seems to be a bone of contention the whole "honky tonk" paying your dues debate.

Yes... I think these "stars" have taken this stance against Carrie because she hasn't paid her dues in honky tonks.... now coming from LeeAnne Rhimes that is really priceless. For I know as fact that even though Carrie wasn't old enought to put her time in on a "honky tonk" carieer for years, she did play every county fair and dog and pony shown in Oklahoma for years anything to get her name/voice heard. She had all but given up on her music and decided to go to college, but heard about AI auditions and decided to give it one last shot..... and the rest is history. She very much paid her "dues" in my book anyways. Isn't LeeAnne the one that had like a number one album and single at what 13?? How many years did she have to pay her dues in a "honky tonk" carieer or even Faith Hill for that matter? This is all complete and untter BS that these Nashville b!tches have come up with! :roll:

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

JEFF d wrote:Yes... I think these "stars" have taken this stance against Carrie because she hasn't paid her dues in honky tonks.... now coming from LeeAnne Rhimes that is really priceless. For I know as fact that even though Carrie wasn't old enought to put her time in on a "honky tonk" carieer for years, she did play every county fair and dog and pony shown in Oklahoma for years anything to get her name/voice heard. She had all but given up on her music and decided to go to college, but heard about AI auditions and decided to give it one last shot..... and the rest is history. She very much paid her "dues" in my book anyways. Isn't LeeAnne the one that had like a number one album and single at what 13?? How many years did she have to pay her dues in a "honky tonk" carieer or even Faith Hill for that matter? This is all complete and untter BS that these Nashville b!tches have come up with! :roll: JEFF d EAP fan
Agreed, Jeff. Coming from Leann Rimes, those words ring hollow. Unfortunately, Carrie is perceived as some Johnny(Jane?)-come-lately who is talented and cute, but hasn't cut her teeth in Nashville as others have. Lame argument, to be sure. For some reason, artists have come to believe that these awards are somehow cumulative, when, in fact, they are supposed to be ..."of the Year."

JonRomanovich

Post by JonRomanovich »

Faith did the same thing last year or the year before up against her husband for something. I think it was a joke and she just doesn't care.

iF iT'S tOO lOUD, yOU ARE tOO oLD

I'm on facebook!! Jon Romanovich

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

I've heard it said that she is saying "WHAT?" during that clip but to me it appears as though she is saying "I WON"...
Now that I no longer respect her as an artist because of this "JOKE"... all I have left is the fact that I would still like to %$#@ her...
At least she has that going for her...
:shock:

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

JonRomanovich wrote:Faith did the same thing last year or the year before up against her husband for something. I think it was a joke and she just doesn't care.
Doing that when she is up against her husband is fine; in fact, that was funny! I think very little would have been said about this incident if she were up against Tim McGraw. But, she was one-upped by an artist who is already perceived to have not paid her dues, etc., leading people to believe that her reaction was genuine.

Carrie Underwood also had to deal with the wrath of Wynonna Judd last year, who spouted off about her (Underwood) music being "vanilla" and such. If you're Carrie Underwood, you couldn't blame her for no longer wanting to win these awards, if all it is going to do is lead to these kinds of reactions.

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

elvis-fan wrote:... all I have left is the fact that I would still like to %$#@ her...
I hear ya dude... lol :wink:

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Whoever doesn't like this chick needs their head examined... I mean, what's not to like???

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

I saw Carrie in concert in June.... holy *beep* she is georgous in person! She totally makes me feel like a dirty old man! lol... :lol:

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

elvis-fan wrote:Whoever doesn't like this chick needs their head examined... I mean, what's not to like???
I've got socks older than her............

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire