Off Topic Messages

Bruce Springsteen

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:13 pm

I recently picked up a copy of the CD "Kindred Spirits--A Tribute to the Songs of Johnny Cash," and Bruce does "Give My Love To Rose." I was wondering if Bruce has been known to have performed that--or any other Johnny Cash songs--in concert. I am guessing that he doesn't do "Give My Love To Rose," as it might be a tough fit into his set list, but I thought I would ask, anyway. Thanks.

As an aside, "Kindred Spirits" is an awesome CD.

Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:25 pm

1999-04-06 - Give My Love To Rose (Johnny Cash Tribute) is available on the Crystal Cat bootleg 'Olympic Stadium Second Night'.

Springsteen never did this song otherwise.

Did you ever hear Cash's version of 'Highway Patrolman'? It's on his 'Johnny 99' album (also a Springsteen song). Brilliant version!

Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:30 pm

Johnny’s done some great covers over the years, and his cover of Bruce Springsteen’s “Highway Patrolman” is definitely one of the best.

BRUCE

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:47 pm

IT WAS HEARING "WEAR MY RING ROUND YOUR NECK " by Bruce which made me look into Elvis seriuosly. I also liked his song about his visit to Graceland . Was it Johnny Bye Bye ? My memory fails me.

Regards
Dan

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:04 am

It's not exactly about Bruce's Graceland visit, but you have the title correct. Do you know the version he did on the 1981 tour is quite different from the 1985 B-side release?

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:53 am

The b side was a remake? Were the lyrics much different?
I do remember that on the 1981 tour his emotion after Elvis' death was not faked.
On that tour I think bruce also did "I can't help falling in love" and hearing Bruce doing it made completely reconsider Elvis' work.

Regards
Dan

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:33 am

dan wrote:The b side was a remake? Were the lyrics much different?
I do remember that on the 1981 tour his emotion after Elvis' death was not faked.
On that tour I think bruce also did "I can't help falling in love" and hearing Bruce doing it made completely reconsider Elvis' work.

The 1985 B-side, "Johnny Bye Bye," an elegy to Elvis, has an interesting history. Its roots are in a 1977 Darkness On The Edge Of Town outtake called "Let's Go Tonight." Bruce took the melody from this and, with new lyrics, performed a new song, "Bye Bye Johnny," on his 1981 European tour.

In a spate of sophisticated, eight track home demo recording in early 1983, Bruce revised the music in several variations, tweaked the lyrics a bit (giving Chuck Berry a co-credit for a line "borrowed" from Berry's "Bye Bye Johnny") and ultimately issued the song heard in 1985.

Springsteen performed a unique, mournful variation of "Follow That Dream" on the same 1981 tour, and later reworked it like he did "Johnny Bye Bye." The final version I saw in concert in 1984 -- Bruce did it a few times -- but it has not been officially released. And he indeed offered up "Can't Help Falling In Love" at many shows as well.

The 1981 European tour is well-known for a deeply felt, intimate and very emotional connection with the audiences, all of which ultimately led to the music Bruce cut at the end of the year, music that became his peerless Nebraska LP.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:43 pm

Thanks for that story, Doc.

I heard this song for the first time a couple of weeks ago (I bought the 7" single) and I like it a lot. I've bought, like, four Springsteen singles lately (I've been in a Springsteen mood since the FABULOUS show in Sweden a month ago) and the B-sides are ALWAYS very good. "Held Up Without a Gun" is my favourite, and the cover of that single, "Hungry Heart", looks fantastic.

I hope Springsteen releases some of his old shows on CD some time. I'd like to hear those classic shows from 1981 or 1978 or whatever. Maybe we'll see a Springsteen collectors label in the future...

What's your opinion on the "Tracks" box set?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:44 pm

Bruce Springsteen did once 'Ring of fire' at Joint In The Woods,New Jersey,1974-01-12.

By the way, back in 1978-12-19 at his Darkness tour , Bruce had started with 'Good Rockin' Tonight'.It was outstanding rockabilly version.I saw it once by a import-video.

Also,I like the cover of 'Viva Las Vegas' by him( from 'Last Temptation Of Elvis').

Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:29 pm

At my first Bruce concert in Aug. 78 he opened with Good Rockin' Tonight, and later did Heartbreak Hotel. These were terrific versions! I have an import of a show Bruce did in Stockholm Sweden. He opens the show with a slow, haunting performance of Follow That Dream. Later in the show, before singing Independence Day, he tells the story of hopping the fence at Graceland to try to visit Elvis in 1976. He ends the story by saying something like "he deserved a lot better than he got" (in reference to Elvis).

Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:41 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:What's your opinion on the "Tracks" box set?

It's a very good collection. It was high time that Bruce unleashed at least some of the amazing unissued studio material he has amassed in thirty years of very prolific songwriting and recording. Does it supplant some of the essential Springsteen "imports"? No -- but it now occupies a place next to the best of them. Of the four CDs, I like CD 2 and 3 best.

acapulco45 wrote:back in 1978-12-19 at his Darkness tour , Bruce had started with 'Good Rockin' Tonight' ...

Bruce opened several 1978 and a few 1980 gigs with "Good Rockin' Tonight" -- and it was incredible! I saw him rip through it on 28 October 1980 in Oakland, CA. He had his "1977" Elvis sideburns then, too!

Pete Dube wrote:At my first Bruce concert in Aug. 78 he opened with Good Rockin' Tonight, and later did Heartbreak Hotel. These were terrific versions!

Wow, Pete, you'll never see a better show than that August 1978 set. His 1978 shows are a cut above everything he's ever done -- and this is a man who never gives a bad show, ever.

Pete Dube wrote:I have an import of a show Bruce did in Stockholm Sweden. He opens the show with a slow, haunting performance of Follow That Dream. Later in the show, before singing Independence Day, he tells the story of hopping the fence at Graceland to try to visit Elvis in 1976. He ends the story by saying something like "he deserved a lot better than he got" (in reference to Elvis).

That is one passionate speech -- and he spoke of Elvis a lot on the 1981 tour. The Swedish gig is from 07 May 1981, and is one of his legendary performances because of the quiet and intense response from the audience that night. His polite request for less yelling during certain songs -- "We'd like a little quiet, please" -- was met full-on. Listen to "Stolen Car" from that show and you hear the roots of what would become his now-classic 1982 album, Nebraska.