A Phase Of Stupid Pride

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Scatter wrote:Gore's GPA was lower than Bush's ...
Yeah, sure it was ... in third grade, maybe.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Scatter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scatter wrote:Gore's GPA was lower than Bush's ...
Yeah, sure it was ... in third grade, maybe.

In 1999, The New Yorker published a transcript indicating that Bush had received a cumulative score of 77 for his first three years at Yale and a roughly similar average under a non-numerical rating system during his senior year.

Kerry authorizes release of his full military and medical records. A7.

Kerry, who graduated two years before Bush, got a cumulative 76 for his four years, according to a transcript that Kerry sent to the Navy when he was applying for officer training school. He received four D's in his freshman year out of 10 courses, but improved his average in later years.

SAT scores

Bush 1206 Kerry 1190

Here is what we also know from New Yorker Magazine and UPI in articles from January of 2004.

-- Bush's SAT scores are higher than Bill Bradley's, Paul Wellstone's, and John Kerry's.

-- Bush scored a 1206 on his SAT, 566 of 800 on verbal and 640 of 800 on math. [Since the SAT's scale has since been "recentered," Bush's score is more like a 1300 today.]

-- Bush's verbal score would place him between the 84th and 92nd percentile of college-bound students, or the 93rd to 97th percentile of ALL high-school seniors taking the exams, the percentile usually used.

-- His math score would also place him between the 84th and 92nd percentile of college-bound students, or the 94th to 98th percentile of ALL high-school seniors taking the exams, the percentile usually used.

-- Using one method to extract IQ's from these SAT scores, Bush's IQ would be somewhere between 124 and 137. Hardly a dunce, that's at least in the top six percent of Americans.

-- We all hear of Bush's supposed college mediocrity, but in reality his "worst" courses were two C-minus scores. Accounting for grade inflation, Bush's worst grades are around today's B-minuses.

Recentered SAT: 1300 IQ: 124-137

Tuesday, June 7, 2005 10:44 a.m. EDT

'Moron' Bush Beat Kerry at Yale

President Bush, who is routinely derided as a "moron" by embittered Democrats, earned slightly better grades at Yale University than Sen. John Kerry, the supposed Massachusetts intellectual.

According to college transcripts from the top Ivy League school obtained by the Boston Globe, Kerry was well on his way to flunking out during his freshmen year, receiving no fewer than four D's.

Story Continues Below

Kerry's intellectual deficit revealed itself in geology, two history courses and, most surprisingly for a top politician, political science.

"I always told my dad that D stood for distinction," the failed presidential candidate told reporters.

He showed a slight improvement in subsequent semesters, topping out with an 81 average his senior year. Kerry had a cumulative average of 76, or what some might call "a gentleman's C."

The president received just one D in his freshman year - a 69 in astronomy - to Kerry's four. His cumulative grade point average was 77 - a point higher than Kerry's.

Last year, when an analysis of Kerry's Navy aptitude test showed that Bush actually had a higher IQ, the top Democrat blamed his lackluster performance on drinking.

"I must have been drinking the night before I took that military aptitude test," Kerry told NBC anchorman Tom Brokaw.

President Bush suffered the same type of derision during the 2000 campaign, when critics regularly portrayed him as intellectually inferior to Al Gore.

Gore attended divinity school after graduating from Harvard in June of 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. But transcripts from Vanderbilt University showed that he received F's in five of the eight classes he took over the course of three semesters.

Gore left Vanderbilt without receiving a degree.

NEXT!!!!!....... :lol:

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Yeah, Bush Jr. is one smart guy, although he has never shown it in what he says, does or writes. I'd mention reads, but he's stated on more than one occasion that he dislikes the activity.

If you truly believe Bush Jr. was acccepted into Yale on his own merit, and is more inteliigent than the figures you cite, you are being delusional -- much like those who say Iraq is going well (although the Pentagon released a report to the contrary just yesterday), Iraq had any connection to 9/11, or that global warming is a myth. Enjoy!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Well Doc........the question was not whether you like his policies, but whether his GPA was higher than Bore's.

Not only GPA, but SATs in fact.

Bore actually flunked out of seminary in fact. He's a dolt.

I was right. I enjoy that :wink:

NEXT!!!!!

genesim
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by genesim »

Global warming is a myth. One only has to use logic and simple high school sciece to understand that.

Iraq has several connections to Al Queda thus 9/11, go back and search through the archives on that one.

Oh yeah, and being smart is useless without judgement. Look at you Doc, the facts laid out before you again and again, and you just choose to ignore them. Instead, as usual, you can only blow more smoke.

Like a broken record...

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Folks, just in case you're wondering why I was inspired to create this topic, see examples above.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

sam

Post by sam »

No need for my comment. The Docs doin' just fine!!! :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

likethebike wrote:But then many posters use half truths, disregard of facts and a superior attitude as if they were tools in legitimate debate.
Do you consider me one of those "many" posters?

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Pete Dube wrote:I'll settle for being a one-eyed cat peepin' in a sea food store.
I only found out recently that the line from Shake, Rattle & Roll had a sexual connotation.

Something that had slipped by me for all these years.

I'm so naive and innocent, it isn't true !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Promocollector

Post by Promocollector »

genesim wrote:Global warming is a myth. One only has to use logic and simple high school sciece to understand that.

So simple in fact that you can't even spell the word!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please explain in simple logic and simple SCIENCE why Global warming is a myth. Or maybe it just needs to be simple for you to understand it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to Coco's imaginary world where white is black and the world is flat, but only if Bush says so!!

genesim

Post by genesim »

First of all it is called a TYPO. Do you understand that? Of course not, or you wouldn't have bothered to respond.

As for explaining. Google. The facts are out there, it is up to you whether you want use the knowledge that is at your finger tips.

Though let met start. Do you know how many tons of chlorine are evaporated every year from the ocean compared to human output?

Or how about the simple concept of temperature gauging in a real fair sense. Say....we take small samples and we think this is indicative of the whole, when in actually it is like one heartbeat in a 70 year old man's life.

Also take into consideration that even with core samples, and our very limited data from years past, we still have no idea what the average temperature ever was. What exactly is "hot"? The world will likely never know.

Shall I go on??

Explain that.

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

Promocollector

Post by Promocollector »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KEEP 'EM COMING!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

genesim

Post by genesim »

Yuck yuck.

Man I was just looking at another post. What is with the Promo Collector little girl clinging to my shirt tail??

Little brown nose with the Doc got his feewings hurt. :lol:

Seriously, go away kid you bother me.

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Promo, I don't dispute global warming..........just the premise of man as the primary catalyst.

The evidence points to the normal warming/cooling cycles the earth goes through naturally.

It's amazing the power the media has..........over some :wink:

Doc........it's also amazing how easy it was to prove you wrong. Then of course to have that ignored (with the transparent attempt at changing the subject) and MY intelligence questioned.

For future reference, you may want to get the answer RIGHT next time before you do so..........it looks less silly that way :D

genesim

Post by genesim »

How can anyone deduce a unequivable fact based on spotty data at best???

Matter cannot be created nor destroyed. For all the so called polution we put up, there is also a equal distribution of chemicals that combat the effect.

Not to mention what Scatter said, natural events have also produced the undesirable effects.

This isn't the "hottest" the planet has been by far. Furthermore, as I stated before, we have spots in our data, and have absolutely no clear record of earth average temperatures. We simply couldn't afford it!!!

Another environemntal religious aspect, Dumb asses find a hole in the ozone layer, and it is assumed it is man who put it there. Based on what??? We discover it in the last 25 years???

Gee what about the facts when it gets smaller. Or how about how much ozone is produced everytime you turn on a light, start a car, a bolt of lighting..yada yada.

Most of the so called "experts" like Doc, know nothing of basic SCIENCE 101. They have not proof, so therefore they just make up facts as they go. Better yet, just call names and cry. :lol:

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

genesim wrote:Global warming is a myth.
One only has to use logic and simple high school sciece to understand that.
If you truly believe that, I pity you.

We might argue about the precise causes of it, but to deny it is happening is crass stupidity of the highest order.

Colin B

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Spellbinder »

genesim wrote:Matter cannot be created nor destroyed.
Wrong. The sun's energy is derived from the matter being destroyed inside its core. The victims in Hiroshima and Nagasaki perished due to the release of huge quantities of energy derived from the destruction of matter inside the A-bomb blasts.

Spellbinder

Post by Spellbinder »

ColinB wrote:

We might argue about the precise causes of it, but to deny it is happening is crass stupidity of the highest order.
The evidence for the existence of global warming is scanty at best. Even if it does exist the evidence that it is man-made is even scantier.

We will never know the truth. To know that would entail having statistical temperature and related data going back hundreds of thousands of years.

So we have to make decisions based on the recommendations of "scientists" who are, like the rest of mankind, driven by their own agendas.

I have more respect for those who say (you don't hear it very often) "OK - the evidence is not hard - it is ambiguous - but let's not take the chance. Let's err on the side of caution." One might not agree with this line, but at least it's honest.
Last edited by Spellbinder on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the squirrel

Re: A Phase Of Stupid Pride

Post by the squirrel »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Celebrated film critic Mick LaSalle has a weekly Q&A column which is always enjoyable. This Sunday past, I was struck by one of his replies, as the type of person he describes in the answer below is an uncanny description of some members of this MB. Pertinent portions have been placed in bold.
Dear Mick: What is it with these people who write to you, in effect, "I haven't seen the film, but how dare you trash it?" Have people's perceptions sunk so low that they are unaware that Hollywood has become better than ever in the brainless rubbish department? I see a great difference between the simply dumb, innocuous, generic movies of the past and the proudly, transcendently stupid products on the screen nowadays.

James Pendergast, Sonoma

Dear James: Stupidity used to be something to be embarrassed about. But we're going through a phase of stupid pride right now, and it pervades many aspects of our cultural life. People in power, with access to the media, have stumbled onto a great truth: Stupid people long to feel good about themselves. They want to be told that what they secretly suspect is true: that they're the ones who comprehend the big picture, while the supposedly intelligent folks are just nitpickers bogged down in meaningless detail. Since the stupid can't see the nuances, they prefer to believe those nuances just aren't there. That's why, for example, every stupid critic's favorite reference is "The Emperor's New Clothes." For the complacently stupid, that's the height of aspiration, to see and think like a child, a state they sentimentalize as clarity and virtue.

We see this in movies. We also see this in politics and religion. Appeals to reason are distrusted and discounted. Appeals to emotion and invitations not to think rule the day. Fifty years ago, the most famous television preacher was Bishop Fulton Sheen, a highly orthodox Catholic who, nonetheless, offered complicated Aristotelian proofs of God's existence and who insisted that thought, study and rationality were intrinsic parts of a religious life. Today, TV preachers say what politicians say: "Don't think, just listen to me, and you'll be saved. You'll be virtuous." The good news, sort of, is that eventually stupid pride produces situations so untenable that reality becomes undeniable. In the movie business, reality presents itself at the box office, and in a democracy, it's usually at the ballot box. But in Berlin, 1945, it didn't quite sink in until people were knee-deep in rubble. In any case, this delightful phase we're in will end, sooner or later, one way or the other.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/08/27/PKGDOIM3GU1.DTL
Somehow, it's reassuring to know this MB is not an anomaly.

God bless!
How egotistical and self gratifying are you DJC on posting this crap??.....You aren't as clever as you think little man.......shame on you.

Everybody brings happiness to this messageboard.
Some when they enter.
And some when they leave.

genesim

Post by genesim »

Spellbinder wrote:
Wrong. The sun's energy is derived from the matter being destroyed inside its core. The victims in Hiroshima and Nagasaki perished due to the release of huge quantities of energy derived from the destruction of matter inside the A-bomb blasts.
And please tell me how I am wrong????? The same applies for energy. This is true as well.

I have pointed out this law before. Basic Science.

Energy doesn't "poof" come from nowhere. "Deriving" it, is only done from what is already there.

genesim

Post by genesim »

ColinB wrote:

Colin you pity me? For what, making an assessment based on facts rather then straight lies???

I suggest you go back and read my post, or go to Spellbinder's second post above.

We do not have complete data, and furthermore if one uses logic from beginning to end they will see that Humans are FLEAS when it comes to the worlds ecosystem. You could set the city of New York on fire, and it wouldn't produce near the pollution of one good Volcano eruption puts up. We are talking billions of years compared to merely a couple of centuries??????

You pity me, I pity you.

Spellbinder

Post by Spellbinder »

genesim wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
And please tell me how I am wrong????? The same applies for energy. This is true as well.

I have pointed out this law before. Basic Science.

Energy doesn't "poof" come from nowhere. "Deriving" it, is only done from what is already there.
You are wrong because you stated "matter cannot be .... destroyed" when it is destroyed to yield energy in nuclear reactions. Matter and energy are not the same although they are convertible.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

genesim wrote:We do not have complete data, and furthermore if one uses logic from beginning to end they will see that Humans are FLEAS when it comes to the worlds ecosystem.
You could set the city of New York on fire, and it wouldn't produce near the pollution of one good Volcano eruption puts up.
We are talking billions of years compared to merely a couple of centuries??????
You are arguing that man is not responsible for global warming.

That is fair comment.

I was pitying you because you claimed that global warming itself was a myth.

Colin B

sam

Post by sam »

Maybe if we all open our fridge doors at the same time we can....

...Oh never mind!!!! :wink:

:lol:

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Boys, please quit proving LaSalle's point over and over and over again -- it's getting embarrassing.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.