It's a Wonderful Life 60th Anniversary DVD

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina
Registered for: 21 years

It's a Wonderful Life 60th Anniversary DVD

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

Paramount has announced October 31st as the street date for a 60th Anniversary edition of Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life which stars James Stewart, and Donna Reed. No word on extras as of yet.

Tom

editors note: Is there anyone else out there that absolutely hates this movie as much as I do????

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Tom,

Wash your mouth out with soap & water. Criticism of 'It's a Wonderful Life' is illegal. Now write 500 times....

'It's a Wonderful Life' is THE GREATEST FILM EVER!!
etc, etc, etc

:wink:

drjohncarpenter

Re: It's a Wonderful Life 60th Anniversary DVD

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Tom in North Carolina wrote:editors note: Is there anyone else out there that absolutely hates this movie as much as I do????
Tom, why post the info if you don't care for the film? In general, this picture deserves every accolade it has received since it was first issued.

Unlike many, I don't see it as a "feel good" movie, but much more a gentle look at the gritty realities of mid-twentieth century life. George Bailey never achieves his dreams, and yet realizes that perhaps those dreams weren't so important after all. Maybe.

Stewart and Reed are terrific, and the supporting cast equally good, especially Barrymore.

One question: will we finally get a quality print transfer after 45+ years of looking at crappy public domain, third-generation prints on TV and video?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

I agree with the doc on this one. I think the feel good aspect of it is very earned. Some people say it's schmaltzy but it's not schmaltzy as its message is very important- self sacrifice matters. For most of the movie George does not know this.

Carolyn- I love both the films you mentioned. A couple that don't do it for me though are "The Graduate", "Ben Hur" and "Gone With the Wind". The only one I hate of the three is "The Graduate" which seems kind of smug in its tone.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

I like this movie. It is a real classic.

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina

I know, I know I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me I've heard it all before from many, many different people. I thought Roger Ebert was going to bitch-slap me when I mentioned this to him. I know it's a beloved film classic and I know it's sacrilege to feel this way, but GOD I hate this movie. OK, I'm off to get the soap. :oops:

Tom

P.S. Doc,
Carolynlm is right. I posted the info for all of you who love the film. Also, the transfer on this edition is rumored to be pristine, so you can toss your old Artisan/Republic versions.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Sweetness and happiness, when it seemingly comes at the cost of realism, doesn't work for most people. I can understand Tom entirely. But, I think, as far as saccharine pictures go, you can't get much better than "It's a Wonderful Life".

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina

Cryogenic wrote:But, I think, as far as saccharine pictures go, you can't get much better than "It's a Wonderful Life".
or much worse!

Tom

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

See I don't feel it comes at the cost of realism. We've seen even today communities come together to help out their own. It's a very sad movie before that point at the end. I argue the sentimentality is completely earned. It's not saccharine at all, saccharine is an artificial sweetner and this is genuine.

The idea that the world is this one endless nightmare and anything that says anything positive about the human nature is artificial is just too bleak for me.

I also think that this movie pays the price for a lot of cheap sentimentality that came in later, more inferior films.

genesim

Post by genesim »

I cry and cry with this movie. As I get older, the movie holds more and more relevance.

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

likethebike wrote:I also think that this movie pays the price for a lot of cheap sentimentality that came in later, more inferior films.
That's a good point, but 'It's a Wonderful Life, 'Scrooge' and the early 'Lassie' movies for example set a standard that's pretty hard to follow when it comes to good old fashioned sentiment.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Delboy wrote:That's a good point, but 'It's a Wonderful Life, 'Scrooge' ...
Ah, "Scrooge" aka "A Christmas Carol" -- I hope you're thinking of the peerless 1951 UK version with Alastair Sim.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Ah, "Scrooge" aka "A Christmas Carol" -- I hope you're thinking of the peerless 1951 UK version with Alastair Sim.
Absolutely! Is there another one? :D They really don't make 'em like that anymore.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

LOL Tom!
likethebike wrote:See I don't feel it comes at the cost of realism. We've seen even today communities come together to help out their own. It's a very sad movie before that point at the end. I argue the sentimentality is completely earned. It's not saccharine at all, saccharine is an artificial sweetner and this is genuine.
I sat there trying to think of a better word than "saccharine". I obviously failed. Your description of the word is correct. It is a poor word for the concept I was trying to convey. I suppose "sentimental" was the fellow -- sat right under my nose -- that I was looking for.
likethebike wrote:The idea that the world is this one endless nightmare and anything that says anything positive about the human nature is artificial is just too bleak for me.
It may be bleak, but what if that is reality?

Just a philosophical question. I don't necessarily disagree with you. What you must consider, however, is that even a film as bleak and savage as "Nil By Mouth" (excellent British film by Gary Oldman -- a must see) says positive things; you just have to watch it properly. Nevertheless, brighter films have their place, and if we were fed a diet of Kubrick films, for example, as children, we'd be VERY screwed up people (as adults, however, those films are essential viewing).

By the way: I'm a fan of "Forrest Gump". Do you hear that? It's the sound of my remaining credibility flying off. Seriously, though, while it may be hideously sweet and condescending to various people, especially Southerners (a significant point to any Elvis fan), I view it in the style I think it was created -- a modern fairy tale -- and in that context, it is a moving and poignant film. Let the savagery commence!

Eddie
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Eddie »

Im another vote for Capra's movie, truly great film making from a director who would touch on genius more than once in his career.Only Darabont has come close for me in recent years.

I got you melancholy baby, built like a melon face like a collie.

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I'm not saying that everything should be bright but the bright things are there and they should be brought to light as much as the other elements. Remember that baby that fell in the well in the late 1908s early 1990s and everyone came out to try and save her. That was like a real life "It's a Wonderful Life". If your friends throw a surprise party for you that's it as well on smaller less dramatic scale.

The most accurate POV I've ever seen in a movie is in Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors". In the movie a doctor orders the killing of an ex-girlfriend because she was inconvenient to him and he gets away with it. Additionally, Woody Allen's shallow boss/brother-in-law steals his true love away from him. Some have said that the movie is bleak but I don't think that was the case. A rabbi grows blind and we see him dance at the end of the movie. We see Allen's love for his niece and other acts of kindness. The statement as I see it made by the movie is that things are this way but they don't have to be. We have the choice to be better. That's closer to the way it is than say "Goodfellas" which is a great but scary and dark movie.

There's nothing to be ashamed of in liking "Forrest Gump" as it's very well done. There's a lot I don't like about it including the things you cite but also I dislike the complete dismissal of the counter culture as insincere posers and the perverse idea that ignorance is bliss. Still, it's an emotionally potent movie.

Denman
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Denman »

carolynlm wrote:I like Forrest Gump......it's an easy movie to watch....
'Stupid is as stupid does'........
there aren't too many movies with Tom Hanks that I don't like......
I totally agree, well, I don't like Forrest Gump, I love it. 8)

"If this suit weren't too tight."