Off Topic Messages

Rhino Releases 'Deluxe' Monkees Albums

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:03 pm

I received [url=http://www.amg.com[/url]All Music Guide[/url]'s most recent "New Release Newsletter" last Tuesday (which I’ve just gotten ‘round to reading), which included the news that on August 15, Rhino released expanded two-disc versions of The Monkees' first two albums, The Monkees (1966) and More of The Monkees (1967). They had already released The Monkees' complete catalogue as expanded editions on CD in 1994, which included an average of about five bonus tracks per album. These new releases include the original albums in both mono and stereo for the first time, and more bonus tracks, many culled from the Missing Links collections, but also several never previously released.

Has anybody read any more about these releases? I'm pleased to see these albums receive deluxe treatment, and hopefully they will ultimately include all tracks from the Missing Links sets (making those obsolete), but at the same time I'm a little annoyed, since I purchased five Rhino editions of Monkees albums (the first through The Birds, the Bees & The Monkees [1968]) just last summer! The lowest retail prices I've seen for these is $22+ excl. shipping on Amazon.com. Is there any news on the sound quality? The original Rhino editions were great all around except for the sound, which was occasionally just terrible (exhibit A: "Laugh," especially the opening) and otherwise unremarkable. If these albums have been properly remastered, they would probably be worth upgrading. Otherwise, I'm not so sure...

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:02 am

From what I've read these are the first 2 to have this treatment and most of the other albums will follow suit.
I have been searching for info on these but haven't found a lot.
I look forward to upgrading my Monkees CD's!!!

:D

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:52 am

For once I have been smart enough to hold back on these CD's for the past few years hoping for an upgrade. I'm glad that my wait has finally paid off ! :D