Off Topic Messages

Little story from my visit to Memphis

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:51 pm

This happened when I visited Memphis in 1999. I was traveling with some of my family including my grandmother. She was over 70 years old at the time and was not in good health. Her eyesight had been very bad for years and just before the trip she had her eye operated. She was a bit weak but she still wanted to go because she had always wanted to visit USA and see Graceland. She has been an Elvis-fan since the 50's. She was participating in an art festival in Los Angeles and from there we went to Memphis. I was worried because it was so near the operation. I was studying in UK at the time and flew straight to LA to meet them. I was there to drive her around and just to help because she didn't really speak English.

In Memphis her eye started to bother her and I had to find a doctor. Fortunately we had an paper written in English explaining the operation done to her eye. I had a hard time finding an eye doctor who was open on Saturday. Anyway, I found one and made an appointment. The doctor looked at the paper and immediately called in two of his colleges to check her. I had to stay in the room because I was translating everything. It turned out that the stich in her eye had loosened up and they had to take it out. I was standing right next to her during the whole time. They were extremely friendly and helpful to us asking where we came from and what we where doing in Memphis. The doctor even came to check that everything was alright and served us cold drinks while we were waiting for our taxi. He really looked after my granny making sure she was alright. The real surprise came when I asked about the bill. The doctor informed us that he wouldn't charge us a dime saying it was a gift. He even made us book another appointment for Monday to check that the eye was starting to heal properly and gave her medication. All free of charge. I thought that was just unbeliviable. Unfortunately I can't remember the doctors name so I can't thank him personally. He was truly fantastic for my granny. She got to see Graceland and now at almost 80 years of age is doing fine. I couldn't believe how friendly they were to total strangers but I guess that's the southern hospitality.

I certainly look back fondly to my visit to Memphis. I even got a job offer when I was walking down Beale Street one night. Someone stopped me and offered to hire me right there as a bouncer. Didn't take the job but that might have been an interesting summer job!

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:52 pm

Hey, Marko, it's real nice to read about people being so friendly !

Must have made such a difference to your stay !

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:17 pm

I was pulled over by a Memphis policeman in '87 for supposedly running a red light (I was innocent I tell you!). Anyway, the guy asked where I was from and what I was doing in Memphis. "Michigan" and "Elvis Week" were my answers. He laughed with his partner and said, "Enjoy our southern hospitality," told me to be careful and moved on.

Yours was a cool story, Marko. That's one tough grandma!

Good to see you back, Colin...

Re: Little story from my visit to Memphis

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:08 am

Marko wrote:
I certainly look back fondly to my visit to Memphis. I even got a job offer when I was walking down Beale Street one night.

Nice story Marko!!!

But am I the only one who..........when reading that someone offered Marko a
JOB.......at NIGHT.......on BEALE.........thought that he was getting an offer for a very different sort of "job", and that it would cost him money rather than earn him some??

:lol: :lol:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:23 am

I had very similar thoughts Scatter!!! :oops:

:lol:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:29 am

I think Marko's imperfect grasp of English may have betrayed him. After all.......if the "job" offer was the one we suspect, there would have been "bouncing" involved as well :lol:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:13 am

LOL Scatter! I thought the same thing. I guess you, me and Sam all have the same warped sense of humor!

Marko: What we're saying is that 'job offer' would've likely made you the Hugh Grant of the FECC board! :lol:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:34 am

Pete........I always knew that at the LEAST, you and Sam would understand.

:lol: :lol:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:29 am

You guys mean I turned down an offer for BJ? Does that mean that bouncer is Memphis slang for gay BJ? Thank God then I didn't take his offer up! :lol:

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:01 am

Marko wrote:You guys mean I turned down an offer for BJ? Does that mean that bouncer is Memphis slang for gay BJ? Thank God then I didn't take his offer up! :lol:

Oh God......

No

No

Ignore the man behind the curtain talking to the eye doctor.....

:shock:

:lol:

(edited to say, you had to pay your bill somehow, right??? :shock: )

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:11 am

Pete Dube wrote:Marko: What we're saying is that 'job offer' would've likely made you the Hugh Grant of the FECC board! :lol:

As the offer was from a man, more likely the George Michael of the FECC board !

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:02 am

ColinB wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Marko: What we're saying is that 'job offer' would've likely made you the Hugh Grant of the FECC board! :lol:

As the offer was from a man, more likely the George Michael of the FECC board !

I was trying to spare Marko THAT humiliation Colin.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:49 pm

This thread got to be very kinky, didn't? :shock:

Some of you guys have some serious issues to deal with... :lol: