Off Topic Messages

1960's Batman on DVD???..................no time soon

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:14 am

The following is just another in a series of stumbling blocks for getting the original TV series Batman on DVD:

LOS ANGELES - A New Mexico woman is suing 20th Century Fox Film Corporation alleging she was defrauded out of $4.4 million she was entitled to receive for the popular 1960s "Batman" television series.

Deborah Dozier Potter, whose father William Dozier was one of the producers of the show, filed the lawsuit Wednesday in Superior Court that alleges fraud, concealment and breach of contract.

She is an heir to her father's estate and holds a portion of the assets of Greenway Productions Inc. which produced the series four decades ago that Fox distributed, according to the lawsuit.

Both companies, Greenway and Fox, signed a contract in the 1960s, the lawsuit said. Another contract was also signed between Fox and ABC, the station which televised the show. In March 2005, Potter came across the agreement between Fox and ABC and discovered she was entitled to 26 percent of the net profits from that agreement as well.

"I wish it could have been avoided," Potter said from her home in Santa Fe. "Nobody likes litigation."

Fox does not comment on pending litigation, said Chris Alexander, vice president of 20th Century Fox Television.

Tom

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:13 am

I read this today -- it is absolutely insane that Fox and related parties cannot get their stuff together. The people who grew up loving this show -- like me -- aren't going to live to be 100.

There's only one thing to do ...

To the Batmobile!

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:59 am

This latest issue aside it seems almost spiteful that Warners and Fox can't agree on Batman co-release.

It's odd though that 1966's "Batman" the movie IS available on DVD.

I have a bootleg of the show and the quality is just not there. Even worse the chance for quality extras is fading fast. Only a modest few of the show's contributors Adam West, Burt Ward, Eartha Kitt, Julie Newmar, and Yvonne Craig are still around. It would also be great to get some on the record insights from great one shot guests like '60s teen dream Donna Loren. Sadly most of the stars are dead or dying off. The most recent being Frank Gorshin. I saw him at a festival a few years back and I only had money to get one picture and meet one celebrity. I chose Adam West. Wish I could have talked to Gorshin who was wearing a Pirates hat. It was only a few months before his death and he looked good.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:02 am

[quote="drjohncarpenter"]I read this today -- it is absolutely insane that Fox and related parties cannot get their stuff together. The people who grew up loving this show -- like me -- aren't going to live to be 100.

Another example is Buddy Holly. Those involved just can't agree and as a result we are missing out on that elusive box set. Give the people what they want !

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:15 pm

I don't know much about these guys or how legit they are or if the quality is as good as Warners and Fox, but I came across this awhile back..
http://www.tvdvdplanet.com/

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:30 am

Green Hornet series with Bruce Lee is probably even further down the line!!

I guess when hell freezes over... :roll:

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:11 am

genesim wrote:Green Hornet series with Bruce Lee is probably even further down the line!!

Geno,
Last I heard, this one was much closer to seeing the light of day than originally thought. I wouldn't look for it tomorrow, but I do think it will be pretty soon.

Tom

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:48 pm

I had just assumed this show was in the pipeline so I'm sorry to hear about the wranging. I, too, grew up on this great show (and so did my older brothers) so I hope they get cracking. I saw it on one of the cable channels recently and totally stopped in my tracks...

That DVD of the movie has held me over for some time. I had a chance to see that in a movie theater that re-ran it in the '80s and it was a total blast to watch with friends and strangers in a darkened theater.... :lol:

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:51 am

Thanks Tom...counting the days however long they are. :D