Off Topic Messages

A question for those who burn their own DVDs..

Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:11 pm

Hi,

This is a question for all those on the board who use DVD recording software.. I'm working on putting my Elvis movies from VHS to DVD until we get them officially (using DVD-RWs so I can erase as I get the real things)... but when I use Sonic MyDVD for my video capturing and recording, I can't get the whole movie to fit on the best setting.. and since there are only 3 settings, the other two settings look like crap to me.

I know some people who make straight copies from actual DVDs and the whole thing (the movie anyway, maybe not special features) fits and looks perfect... so what encoding do the movie studios use to get it that good and still have a smaller file size?

Also, is there a program that's easy to use, and gets good results? Some recording softwares I've tried can't be read by my Playstation 2 or X-Box, but discs burned with MyDVD seem to work fine.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help!

Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:39 am

i wonder why you're transferring vhs videotape to DVD(RW). That would be the same as recording your vinyl LP's with all those scratches on them onto CDR (just like some money making bootleggers did in the past).

Why don't you make an VCD? much cheaper. try this site: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:05 am

True, but I've got a DVD burner, and in most cases my original source is actually laserdisc (transferring with S-Video cables). My DVD players don't play VCDs except for the computer player.

Thanks for the website addy, though, that's sure to help me out!

Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:03 am

Transferring them to DVD does a nicer job I think. But I use a stand alone DVD Recorder.

8)

Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:57 am

Hi, Sam!

Yeah, I agree on that. I almost got a stand-alone burner, actually, but the PC ones are so much cheaper and with more options, that's what changed my mind. How's your burner working out for you?

Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:11 am

I'm really happy with it. I've copied VHS tapes and they look really good, also TV shows that I want to keep. You can do pretty precise editing with them to.

8)