Off Topic Messages

Vote for the dutch Elvis fans?!

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:13 pm

http://www.persoonvanhetjaar.nl/

everyone here or for the Dutch elvisfans want vote?
Past year elvis have become at our no. 1 and that we gladly wants that elvis come on no. 1.
Thanks warmly in advance.
All elvisfans vote everyday to elvis get to number 1, but jesusfans are strong.

ThankYaVeryMuch.

vote for the

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:19 pm

... Holland calling... I cant understand what youre talking about?

Are you typing in a local dialect?! Saywhatnowpresleywoman???

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 pm

wat is je probleem?

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:06 pm

Hey wait a second, I didn't know that by voting for Elvis I was voting against Jesus!

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 pm

hahahahaha, no no no, you don't vote against jesus, everybody vote for the person what you will vote for, we dutch elvisfans vote of course for elvis, and the jesus fans for jesus :D

So if you will vote for jesus type http://www.persoonvanhetjaar.nl/

But Elvis is also important too heey :D

Last year was Elvis also number 1 in the netherlands, elvis was the person of the year here in netherland, and we are very proud that elvis that was :D

greetz TPW

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:47 pm

@ThePresleyWoman, just wondering;

Are you using any kind of translation machine like "Altavista.nl" ?

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:12 am

nee denman, gewoon via het internet gezocht naar een vertaal programma.

No denman, just a search on the internet to a translate program.

TPW

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:28 am

Ja, altavista is zo'n vertaalprogramma.
Het viel me namelijk op aan je zinsconstructies :wink:

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:53 am

ja ik zag ook al dat vele woorden niet klopte, dus ik zat hier maar eindeloos te corrigeren :D
maar wat is een goed programma dan?

greetz TPW

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:35 am

Anyone else starting to have serious doubts about the authenticity of ThePresleyWoman??

Tom

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:27 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Anyone else starting to have serious doubts about the authenticity of ThePresleyWoman??

Tom
You mean you think she's Jesse Fonzie Gardener at the Speed of Light? :lol:

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:28 pm

ThePresleyWoman wrote:ja ik zag ook al dat vele woorden niet klopte, dus ik zat hier maar eindeloos te corrigeren :D
maar wat is een goed programma dan?

greetz TPW
Nee, programma's werken niet. Probeer je Engels te oefenen, zou ik zeggen. Als ik kan helpen, zeg het maar.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:19 am

hilariously, i can kind of figure a lot of that dutch...a lot of it is obvious if you know english/a bit of german. a lot of similar words and cognates.

(and hey! i could understand most of my hospital bill from amsterdam that just came in the mail!)

yeah, altavista is good for simplistic/or basic meaning type translations...if you know the grammar of the language you are trying to translate to, it is a fine tool that you can kind of rearrange the words/re-write the sentence using the translation as a guide for vocab. but sometimes you have to think of synonyms for words that can be translated two ways or more. also a lot of english words won't translate. for example if you put "far out!" into the engine, you're bound to get a funny result that won't make sense to somebody speaking the language. you have to know what kind of words the engine will spit out as your translation so you can put in words it will translate with correctly. for sayings--use google to get the equivelent saying.

for example: "out of sight, out of mind" has an equivelent french saying of: "loin des yeux, loin du coeur" (literally: "away from the eyes, away from the heart").

and altavista really doesn't spit out all the right words. if you are looking up the word "pack" as in "pack of wolves" you are going to get the word for "packet" instead. le paquet is not the same as le meute. --just for a funny example.

cependant, le francais est ma deuxieme langue preferee (bien, c'est evidement que l'anglais est ma premiere langue).

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:37 pm

J'avais aussi francais a l'école, mais je préfere parler allemand :wink: