Off Topic Messages

What Happened to Wayne Newton's Voice?

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:40 pm

I last saw Wayne Newton live in 1980, and his voice was ok ... not as good as years gone by, but ok.
I've heard that in recent concerts, he jokes, plays instruments, lectures, allows a protege to sing a few songs .... basically puts off the inevitable, and sings a few songs when he must.
The chops are gone ... way past due for retirement.

Check out this clip on youtube ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk11FVq1wC4

Image

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk11FVq1wC4

Re: What Happened to Wayne Newton's Voice?

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:05 pm

TCB TED wrote:I've heard that in recent concerts, he jokes, plays instruments, lectures, allows a protege to sing a few songs .... basically puts off the inevitable..........


And your problem with this is?????? :wink:

Tom

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:36 pm

Its come to this, has it?

Spelled out clearly, if Wayne can no longer sing, if he can just croak out stories about "my dear friend Elvis", then perhaps the bell has tolled.

I admire his USO work ... but this clip clearly shows that his voice is shot.
Embarassingly so. Concert reviews mention that his voice is barely audible.

My point is that I knew his voice wasn't what it once was, but I had no idea it was completely gone ... no pitch, no control, no volume, can't sustain a note ... yet he continues to trot it out there.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:56 pm

Unfortunately, the clock gets us all. :(

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:37 am

Holy Christ look at that face! He must have to still work to keep his Botox Dr. Feelgood in business... eeeee!

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:51 am

Well, his voice is just a different brand of horrible from the early days.........the fact that he can't sustain a note is a positive turn. When he actually COULD do it, I was wishing he'd stop.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:21 pm

Awful, no way he should be on stage with those pipes!

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:04 pm

Speaking of Wayne Newton....does anyone remember a "Viewer's Choice" Pay-Per-View concert he did years ago? I used to have it on tape and lost it....(and surprisingly, the concert was very good!)

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:20 pm

Tony Trout wrote:Speaking of Wayne Newton....does anyone remember a "Viewer's Choice" Pay-Per-View concert he did years ago? I used to have it on tape and lost it....(and surprisingly, the concert was very good!)


OK, Tony if you're going to say stuff like that, would you please take "North Carolina" off your avatar. You're making us all look bad.:wink:

Tom

Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:46 pm

What happened to Wayne Newton's voice?


Did he ever have one?

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:12 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:Speaking of Wayne Newton....does anyone remember a "Viewer's Choice" Pay-Per-View concert he did years ago? I used to have it on tape and lost it....(and surprisingly, the concert was very good!)


OK, Tony if you're going to say stuff like that, would you please take "North Carolina" off your avatar. You're making us all look bad.:wink:

Tom



:P :P

My answer to your question would be....NO! *hee hee*

Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:22 pm

Kinda puts "Elvis In Concert" into perspective, doesn't it? :wink:

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:08 am

Cryogenic wrote:Kinda puts "Elvis In Concert" into perspective, doesn't it? :wink:

:lol: :lol: Spot on Cryo!!!!!!

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:07 am

I saw him in Las Vegas around 2002 or 2003 and his voice was also awful. :oops:

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:16 pm

If had gotten heavy such as EP did, he'd really get hammered by the media.