Off Topic Messages

A Close Call

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:36 am

Friends -
My son and I were in an automobile accident this morning. Thankfully, no one was hurt. We were driving to Lowe's to get some fencing/accessories in order to fence off an area of the yard for our dogs. We were heading down the main highway at 50-55 miles an hour when a pick up truck driven by a young man pulled out from a side street right in front of us. I was able to swerve enough to avoid a head on collision, but both cars still had to be towed away. It happened so fast I can't remember every detail, but I vaguely recollect putting my right arm across my son right before impact. My right shoulder/chest area hit the steering wheel fairly hard on impact, but I only feel some minor soreness. My son is fine. After impact I immediately asked him if he was hurt. He wasn't, though he was a bit shaken. His eyes started to tear up and he asked what happened. I told him we were in an accident. Once he realized that neither of us was hurt he immediately started to call his mom on his cell phone. I was struck by what a cool customer he was. It turned out that he had a screwdriver in his lap which on impact caused a minor cut behind his knee. I was able to drive to the center lane of the road (a common turning lane), and a man ( a retired fire fighter) pulled over and asked if we were ok. He then called the highway patrol and begin directing traffic. I'm particularly struck by just how many folks stopped to see if we were ok. The young man in the other vehicle was ok, but had no driver's license ( the vehicle was insured).

I guess , given this brush with mortality I just wanted to talk about it a little. It's good to be here folks! But the most important thing to me is that my boy wasn't hurt.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:48 am

Glad to hear you and your son are safe Pete. Accidents happen all we can ask is we get through unscathed.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:09 am

Glad everyone's okay Pete.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:07 am

I think sometimes people get in a trance and just don't see that a car is there and pull out in front. Three local teens were killed when they pulled in front of an 18-wheeler after stopping at a convenience store on the way home from Tennessee.

I am thankful that no one was seriously injured in your wreck, the insurance can fix the cars. Fixing humans is a tougher ordeal.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:40 pm

Good to see you and your son are o.k.
I was hit by a car that did not see there was a line of cars waiting at the traffic lights. Some drivers should not be driving a car if their mind is somewhere else.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:13 pm

Sorry to hear about your car Pete!!! :wink:

Glad you and your son are OK.
It wouldn't be the same here without you!!!

8)

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:29 pm

Three years ago I was in a car accident. Man it took 5 minutes to realize what had happened.

I know how terrible is this but I´m glad you didn´t hurt yourself and your son is Ok. :wink:

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:36 pm

That can be a harrowing experience, as it happens so quickly. A lot of us are lucky to dodge the bullet, because a second here or there and the story could be much different. My wife was hit by a car when she was only three years old, and she lost one kidney. We were talking about kids being in accidents just last night, and how parents who lose kids that way are able to go on.

Glad to hear you and your son are OK, Pete.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:10 pm

KHoots wrote:That can be a harrowing experience, as it happens so quickly. A lot of us are lucky to dodge the bullet, because a second here or there and the story could be much different. My wife was hit by a car when she was only three years old, and she lost one kidney. We were talking about kids being in accidents just last night, and how parents who lose kids that way are able to go on.

Glad to hear you and your son are OK, Pete.

KHoots, I see that you're from Michigan. I was wondering if you read about the girl from Windsor who got killed in Westland dropping her boyfriend off the other day? When we get down about other things, we should appreciate the safety of our family and what this poor girl's family must be going through, I couldn't nor do I want to imagine it. Thank God everything is all right Pete.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:49 pm

well im glad you and you son are ok !

Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:00 pm

Glad you you both are ok - by and large. Take care.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:01 pm

Jeez.......I just saw this Pete!! Glad you and your boy are OK.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:47 pm

Pete,
Glad to hear that everyone is safe. Kinda let's you know how quickly things can change.

Tom

Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:51 pm

Great that both of you are ok.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:05 am

:shock: I'm glad both of you are ok!