Off Topic Messages

Mike Douglas R.I.P.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:01 pm

Just heard on ABC News that Mike Douglas passed away this morning. Just so happens to be his 81st birthday today, too.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:42 pm

He was a most congenial and open TV host, and his afternoon variety show -- taped in Philadelphia -- remains a nice childhood memory. The week he spent in Feb '72 with John Lennon and Yoko Ono as co-hosts is a classic of 1970s pop culture. Rhino issued the whole thing on five VHS tapes several years ago, and it is fascinating viewing.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:32 pm

I'm sorry to hear this news, may he rest in peace.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:29 am

I have fond (if vague and sleepy) memories of his show, along with Dinah Shore... RIP to a '70s US pop culture fixture.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:43 am

I almost forgot that he had a hit with "The Man In My Little Girl's Life"

I love this clip of Gene Simmons, Totie Fields, and Mike Douglas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3B590zDEcE

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:47 am

Man........that's weird.

I haven't had a passing thought about Mike Douglass in YEARS, and I just referenced him yesterday in Doc's thread about the Rock Hall.

Spooooooooooky. RIP Mike.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:01 am

RIP Mike Douglas. He was certainly a part of my childhood. About a month or so ago I saw a show (I think it was Entertainment Tonight) about Merv Griffin, and it made me wonder how Mike Douglas was doing. He came across as a genuinely nice guy.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:42 am

On August 16th 1977. I was watching the Mike Douglas show when BAM! it scrolled across the bottom of the screen that some man form memphis had died at the the age of 42. Let me think oh yeah it was ELVIS!