Off Topic Messages

Lick It Up!

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:44 pm

Significant portions in bold.

-----

Kiss fans protest Rock Hall of Fame snub
08/06/2006 4:43 AM, AP

About 200 Kiss fans protested Saturday in front of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum to demand that the band be inducted into the hall.

Fans, some from as far away as California, carried signs and had painted their faces in black-and-white to resemble Kiss band members.

Those participating in the half-hour demonstration were upset that the band, formed more than 30 years ago, has not been admitted, even though it has been eligible since the late 1990s.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record, according to the museum's Web site.

"Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist's contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll," the site says.

A museum spokesman said it was the first demonstration by fans seeking to have a group inducted.

The foundation that selects inductees is based in New York City, not at the museum.

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/34981250

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:16 pm

How can this be??? They are the biggest, most powerful, most influential rock band of all time! No one was bigger in the 70s! :roll:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:23 pm

Going fishing Doc?

Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:49 pm

Did the article say how many times the cops pepper sprayed Genesim before throwing him in the paddy wagon :P

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:23 am

midnightx wrote:How can this be??? They are the biggest, most powerful, most influential rock band of all time! No one was bigger in the 70s! :roll:

For me the band Queen was much much better.....

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:21 am

Renan, my post was sarcastic. The KISS fanatics are going to swoop in and start proclaiming how great and influential KISS was. Queen was a tremendous band. Not really comparable to KISS.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:25 am

Well..........the fact that KISS fans had to resort to a mob before the band's name could be mentioned in the same sentence as "Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame" says something, doesn't it?? :lol:

Just kidding Geno :wink:

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:05 pm

If Kiss was on the radio playing right now I would not recognize them. As a kid I thought they looked ugly but never retained in my hardrive any memories of music whatsoever. :?

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:40 am

"Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist's contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll,"

Kiss...no not at all. :roll:

Dumbass

Next inductees Blondie and Miles Davis???? Checking out the full list from years past, I laugh and I laugh. :lol:

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:01 am

Agreed Gene...........the Hall is a joke. Miles Davis my ass :lol:

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:12 pm

The committee seems to blow whichever way the wind blows. What is "rock and roll"? Do they want it to be a music Hall of Fame, or a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Some of the inductees are curious, at best, in a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Should KISS be inducted? I don't know. I do cringe at the thought of Paul and Gene giving speeches, though. Talking about their greatness will last hours.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:10 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Kiss, but that being said, they should be in the hall of fame.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:44 pm

Before you dismiss Miles Davis' huge influence on rock music, listen to such albums as Pangea, Agharta or -- my personal favorite from the time, Tribute to Jack Johnson. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, Bitches Brew, but wait till you hear the others, you won't be talking so much about Bitches Brew.)

Miles Davis was notorious for melting the minds of rock fans by the tens of thousands. The truth is for a stretch he rocked harder than Kiss or any other band out there. Doubt me? Spin these records and turn the volume up to 10. You'll be a quivering blob of protoplasm by the end of it.

Here's direct testimony from a performer who admits Miles Davis annihilated his band:

"I heard Miles playing, so I went into the audience after a while, and Miles had 20,000 people crouched down. His electric band was pouring fire into the crowd, and these kids were like, cowering, under this onslaught ... he was a master, an outrageous artist. He took our crowd to a place they'd never been before. And we had to follow this. So we came out and played one of the worst shows we ever did. "
Last edited by elvissessions on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:34 pm

elvissessions.com is right about Miles' "A Tribute To Jack Johnson", that is a killer album. Miles was a brilliant band leader and a very good trumpet player. His influence for Rock musicians and the genre from 68-75 is undeniable. The guy was playing the Fillmore East and sharing a bill with Neil Young & Crazy Horse. For a short time, his career and music was being embraced by a Rock audience and Rock musicians. He certainly lost some of his Jazz following during that era.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:09 am

I'm not entirely unfamiliar with Miles Davis ES........but hell, the guy rocked for 15 minutes :lol:

This is the Rock "Hall Of Fame". Not the "Hall Of I Rocked Occasionally And Influenced Somebody In Some Obscure And Short-Lived Manner For One Album..........".

Hell, there are a LOT of musicians that influenced rock to some degree. To insinuate that Davis had a far reaching and foundational enough influence upon rock to justify his inclusion in the Hall Of Fame seems a bit of an overreach. Scratch that..........a ridiculous overreach.

You know........I heard Mel Torme once stuck his tongue out on the Mike Douglas Show when Gene Simmons was watching as a toddler. I hear that's where Gene got the idea for his famous tongue routine.

Let's vote him in too!!!!!! :D

I'm considering forming a pitchfork and torch bearing crowd to assemble upon the hallowed steps of the Rock Hall and protest Mel's exclusion.

After all........he was just as influential as Miles :wink:

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:16 am

Hell, there are a LOT of musicians that influenced rock to some degree. To insinuate that Davis had a far reaching and foundational enough influence upon rock to justify his inclusion in the Hall Of Fame seems a bit of an overreach. Scratch that..........a ridiculous overreach.

Well since you admit you aren't overly familiar with Miles' contributions, you really are in no position to make such a bold statement. Cream was only around from 66-68, so does that mean their "15 minutes" isn't worthy of being in the Hall Of Fame?

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:39 am

midnightx wrote:

Well since you admit you aren't overly familiar with Miles' contributions, you really are in no position to make such a bold statement. Cream was only around from 66-68, so does that mean their "15 minutes" isn't worthy of being in the Hall Of Fame?

Reading comprehension not all it could be?? Fear not.........a junior college near you has remedial reading programs that can turn your life around :lol:

Read my post again.........let your lips move if you must.........

:wink:

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:39 am

Scatter, you said you weren't "entirely" unfamiliar which could easily mean you know a little, but not a lot. This seems to be the definition of your responses in general. And of course it is no surprise that you embrace and are very familiar with the Junior College curriculum. Keep up the good work. :wink:

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:52 am

midnightx wrote:Scatter, you said you weren't "entirely" unfamiliar which could easily mean you know a little, but not a lot. This seems to be the definition of your responses in general. And of course it is no surprise that you embrace and are very familiar with the Junior College curriculum. Keep up the good work. :wink:

That, my friend, is what is known in English as "understatement". It's opposite is called "hyperbole".

Ahhhhhhh, the wonders that await you............be sure to bring a sharpened number 2 pencil. (That's called "sarcasm".......isn't this fun?? :D :wink: )

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:16 pm

This is funny as hell. A debate on how much Miles Davis "rocked". :lol:

I see it now. Guys sitting around listening to Miles. Hey man...I got to get a guitar and freakin rock the house now!!!!

Incidently, the "Blue" album is superb in SACD surround sound.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:10 pm

This is funny as hell. A debate on how much Miles Davis "rocked".

I see it now. Guys sitting around listening to Miles. Hey man...I got to get a guitar and freakin rock the house now!!!!

Well, John McLauglin played on many of Miles' fusion sessions and McLaughlin is certainly more accomplished, talented, creative, and innovative than Ace Frehley ever was.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:02 am

In your eyes maybe, but there are many that would disagree.

Watching guys like that is like watching a typist type. BOOOORRRRIIIINNNNGGG

Ace Frehley(who tapped first on record) inspired waves of guitarists and help to spawn many of the heavy metal acts I enjoy immensely.

Ace was very talented, and it was only his drug habits that have impeded his abilities.

There is no way in hell that I would sit around listen to an instrumentalist over say Ace Frehley's solo album which is a work of art.

Listen to Fractured Mirror, New York Groove, Save Your Love, Shock Me, Rip It Out, Do Ya(excellent ELO cover), 2000 Man(another excellent cover), Rocket Ride.....or better yet ANY OF HIS FREAKIN SOLOS ON ALIVE! and learn.

Guys like McLaughlin are nice for getting burnt out too, but it takes a certain kind of mood. That and there are many that I prefer far more.

But as far as tapping your foot without knowing why...No comparison.

That is why Kiss should be in the hall of fame. Rock And Roll All Nite is one of the most recognized rock and roll songs ever. Miles Davis (or Johnny) can only dream of making such a tune.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:08 am

That is why Kiss should be in the hall of fame. Rock And Roll All Nite is one of the most recognized rock and roll songs ever. Miles Davis (or Johnny) can only dream of making such a tune.

The idea of Miles Davis being envious of KISS for composing some cheesy rock anthem is hysterical. Thanks for the laugh! :lol:

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:28 am

Cheesy to you, that is your opinion.

I myself just enjoy good music. Nothing "deep", just fun to listen to. The song makes most anyone get up and dance. That is what RNR is all about. Same goes for Ace/Johnny comparison. This is lost on the so called musical "experts".

By the way, didn't say Miles would be envious. He is of course a legend in his own merit. Jazz is his forte, not rock n roll. Hence, my complaint about his induction, instead of obviously more important musicians/songwriters/entertainers like KISS to the cause.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:18 am

Jazz is his forte, not rock n roll. Hence, my complaint about his induction, instead of obviously more important musicians/songwriters/entertainers like KISS to the cause.

Well, the hall of fame is pretty much a joke. Yeah Miles was very influential to a lot of Rock artists, as was Buddy Guy who was recently inducted in the past year or so. But putting them in the hall for influence alone can be questionable as Scatter pointed out. As most people know, Rock-n-Roll was created by the sounds of a lot of musical genres, so while putting Miles in there might be questionable, it is no different than inducting Robert Johnson. KISS should be in the hall.