Off Topic Messages

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:54 am

Sam..........You think you have it bad ! Everytime I walk down the street everyone thinks I look like Danny Devito. :oops:

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:47 am

I think Mel has made a real go of life and entertained and thrilled a lot of people. A bad act or two barely tips the scales. That said, all rages come from somewhere; alcohol opens the door, it does not magically summon new thoughts into reality. I think Mel has to look inside himself and try and understand his body and mind, as we all must, on a deeper level, hopefully healing himself and his image in the process.

The problem with celebritydom is that we expect people to be superhuman whilst constantly lusting for human failings. It's a strange dichotomy. The fact that Mel made "The Passion of the Christ" and then said this and behaved in this fashion is doubly troubling. It has damaged his reputation and he knows it. Anti-Semitic ranting aside, he could have killed someone driving like that! But I trust in him if he trusts himself. Forgiveness -- the most important of all human traits. Afterall... what else *is* the message in "The Passion of the Christ"? We're all in this together. If Mel can do his part, then we can surely do ours.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:11 am

"Were all in this together." To paraphrase Monty Python...."er..Im not."

Ouch Carolyn, not wishing to come off like an anorak here but... Gallipoli is not a yarn, it was a very real event Im affraid depicting one of the biggest allied wartime disasters.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:12 am

I've got the Gallipoli DVD and many other movies of Mel.
I even have his appearance in the Sullivans on DVD.

You remember the Sullivans Carolyn????

8)

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:46 am

sam wrote:I've got the Gallipoli DVD and many other movies of Mel.

8)

Sam............Do you still have all those Sullivans posters on your bedroom wall? How about those Sullivans coffee cups and teaspoons you were collecting? Ah...........and not to mention the sheets and pillow case sets. and all those old TV weeks from the 70's? :lol: :lol:

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:21 am

jake wrote:
sam wrote:I've got the Gallipoli DVD and many other movies of Mel.

8)

Sam............Do you still have all those Sullivans posters on your bedroom wall? How about those Sullivans coffee cups and teaspoons you were collecting? Ah...........and not to mention the sheets and pillow case sets. and all those old TV weeks from the 70's? :lol: :lol:

Yes Jake.....but I still can't equal your collection!!
As much as I search I can't find the Dave Sullivan hat and wig, the
John Sullivan stethoscope, the Kitty Sullivan braces, The Terry Sullivan book on how to atract girls, Or the Grace Sullivan tea towels!!!!

8)

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:15 am

jake wrote:Gallipoli............I'm surprised that anyone outside Australia and NZ would be aware of this movie.

Well, I'm not just "anyone." Trust the doc!
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:32 am

Paulwood wrote:All drunks say silly things but drunken words don't suddenly come from nowhere.

I read in my newspaper this morning that Gibson`s daddy said, some time ago, that the holocaust didn`t happen!!! That`s the kind of background he`s from. So, don`t talk about "drunken words", he knew what he was saying. He wasn`t that far over the limit,anyway.

Wim

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:16 pm

It was a story here in Germany last week. The DUI lawsuit was reported, but no huge articles were the Jewish leaders voiced their opinion. Right now we are concerned with more pressing situations like the Middle East and if we should rather not send German troops as part of a possible UN mandate, because of our shared history. But the Israeli primeminister has asked for our participation. Back on topic.. I read the letter Rob Schneider wrote in Vanity Fair and just now saw the picture of Malibu were someone has changed it to MElibu and it's allegedly not photoshop. To call for blacklisting someone is pure drivel. What happened when people called for a boycott of Passion Of The Christ? It turned out to be one of the highest grossing R-rated films ever didn't it? I hope that he is successful in beating his alcohol problem. And I believe his father made that statement in a New York Times interviews in the 90s. I don't know if he has ever toured a camp. Trust me it is the most humbling experience you can ever have, to walk through those barracks and into those showers at Dachau, Bergen-Belsen and Auschwitz.