Off Topic Messages

ENOUGH!!!

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:42 pm

I will address this subject one time and one time only. As many of you know, I worked with Mel Gibson on The Patriot and have maintained a friendship with him ever since. Several of you have sent me emails regarding the deplorable comments recently made by Mel and have asked me for my opinion. By and large, I do not discuss my personal relationship with any celebrity and I certainly don't want to comment much on this one. I will say this much, I have never ever heard Mel make any kind of disparaging comment about any race, creed or religion. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, defending what he said (nor driving drunk), but will simply say that I am as shocked as the rest of you. I have spoken with Mel since the incident and can tell you that he is incredibly embarassed and ashamed of his comments and behavior and fully understands that his career may be over. In fact, he sounds like a man who is absolutely devastated, which he is.

Once again, I am not defending Mel in any way shape or form, nor am I offering any excuses for his despicable behavior. I am simply saying that alcohol affects different people in different ways and Mel is only human.
For those who have offered positive and supportive comments, I thank you and have passed them on. For the rest of you..........well, you are entitled to your opinions.

Tom

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:02 pm

In the UK, it hasnt really got that much coverage.

I think anyone would realise his comments were just due to being very drunk.

He is still a massive star over here in England.

If he is ashamed and sorry for what he said then he will forgiven totally.

It is yesterdays news.

Im sure he will make another film putting down the English and British. :wink:

Im more angry with him for not showing the true story of Braveheart rather than sticking to the stage version of it.

William Wallace was also a butcher of young children but that wasnt shown in the film.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:08 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:William Wallace was also a butcher of young children but that wasnt shown in the film.

That part will be in the upcoming Director's Cut DVD. :wink:

Tom

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:10 pm

I doubt very much this incident will end Mel's career. Things are said when folks are drunk, and most people recognize that. He has built up a decades-long cache of goodwill with the public........this won't deplete it.

Chin up Mel............I'm pulling for 'ya!!!!!

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:14 pm

To think that his career could possibly be over because of statements he made when he was drunk is indicative of the times we live in. The man has apologized over and over. WTF, where is the compassion? How many people who get drunk over the course of their lifetime have behaved rudely and made comments that they were embarassed of the next day? I'd say over the years, millions and millions of us, myself included.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:17 pm

hahaha. good one TINC,

Seriously, Mel should not worry at all.

I dont see how what he said should be any risk to his career.

I think when a celeb like Mel comes out and is so remorseful for what he said then it makes them more real to the public.

So many celebs, over the past few years, have done much more serious things than what Mel has done and it hasnt affected their careers so Mel shouldnt worry one bit.

There is an old saying' those without sin cast the first stone'.

Tel Mel he has nothing to worry about and if he is ever in the London area, tell him to stop off for a drink, of orange juice, that is.I promise not to take him near The Tower Of London. :wink:

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:23 pm

Mel is doing the proper things to right this ship.

I have had my share of of embarassingly drunk moments. Some say the "true self" comes out when you are drunk. Hogwash.

Here's hoping for a full recovery for Mel Gibson, in his professional and private life.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:25 pm

The backlash of this incident in upper Hollywood circles is much, much worse that the media has made it out to be. Many of the most powerful people in the film industry are Jewish, so to insult the Jews in Hollywood is like going to NAACP convention yelling the "N" word. That's not meant to be a slam on anyone, it's simply the way it is.

Tom

Re: ENOUGH!!!

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:29 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:I will address this subject one time and one time only. As many of you know, I worked with Mel Gibson on The Patriot and have maintained a friendship with him ever since. Several of you have sent me emails regarding the deplorable comments recently made by Mel and have asked me for my opinion. By and large, I do not discuss my personal relationship with any celebrity and I certainly don't want to comment much on this one. I will say this much, I have never ever heard Mel make any kind of disparaging comment about any race, creed or religion. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, defending what he said (nor driving drunk), but will simply say that I am as shocked as the rest of you. I have spoken with Mel since the incident and can tell you that he is incredibly embarassed and ashamed of his comments and behavior and fully understands that his career may be over. In fact, he sounds like a man who is absolutely devastated, which he is.

Once again, I am not defending Mel in any way shape or form, nor am I offering any excuses for his despicable behavior. I am simply saying that alcohol affects different people in different ways and Mel is only human.
For those who have offered positive and supportive comments, I thank you and have passed them on. For the rest of you..........well, you are entitled to your opinions.

Tom
100% with everything you said.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:36 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:The backlash of this incident in upper Hollywood circles is much, much worse that the media has made it out to be. Many of the most powerful people in the film industry are Jewish, so to insult the Jews in Hollywood is like going to NAACP convention yelling the "N" word. That's not meant to be a slam on anyone, it's simply the way it is.

Tom

I suspected that this would reverberate in halls of power in Hollywood.......but the fact remains that Hollywood is about one thing.......$$$$$$$$$$$$

If it doesn't resonate with the public the way it does in Hollywood(and thusfar it doesn't), Mel remains a bankable asset.

And that is the bottom line.

Hell, if they took their religion that seriously in Hollywood to begin with, 90% of the filth that crawls out of there on-screen would never get made at all. Money is the reigning religion there, all else can and will be overlooked.
Last edited by Scatter on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:45 pm

Mel was drunk at the time he made the statements and probably did not even relize what he was saying. ( Drunks always say and do stupid things and later regret them) :roll:

I still think he is a great Actor and hope people look at the circumstances and yes perhaps he does need help gettting away for booze but he is still a great actor. ( I think people are sometimes to quick to judge others... As the song goes... walk a mile in my shoes and then you can judge)

Just my 2cents worth!!! :wink:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:52 am

The bigger they are...the harder they fall.

I think Mel Gibson is a wonderful director/actor, but the Passion was at the height of self indulgance. When he was going to recut it for "G" audiences, I said to myself....uh oh.

Still how can you really feel sorry for him? The man is laughing all the way to the bank. If it was Paris Hilton, then many of you would be feeling much more different. But oh no, not Mel. He is special??

If he acts like an ass, though I along with others are not above it, I am stil not a public figure. Mel should have known better. He got alot of attention with The Passion, and he of course he didn't possibly live up to the pedestal he was put on.

"Thats Life..."

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:05 am

Hardly a big deal in the grand scheme of things, we're all allowed to make an arse of ourselves now and then when drunk...I know I could make a profession out of it. Difference is I only make local papers.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:17 am

Mel is almost over-apologizing, but it shows me that he truly is sorry for what he said. Sure, his comments were rather odd (of all the things to say when drunk!), but I can certainly accept his apologies and move on. I have no problem separating a celebrity's personal life from their professional work, and I like the work he has given us. So, I hope he carries on and keeps his head up.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:55 am

Don't know anything about Mel Gibson but my Grandmother was run down by a drunk in a car. She died....and all the drink driver got was a fine.

Drink drivers kill more people than Jews. Perhaps Gibson should remember that next time he makes films about the evil Jews ( The Passion of masochristm), evil English ( Braveheart) and evil South Africans ( Leathal Weapon 2) etc.

You didn't play one of those British bastards in The Patriot did you Tom?

The stereotyping in Mels films is more likely to influence people than his drunken utterances and I don't particularly care what he says in private. Characters in films like The Patriot, Braveheart and even Leathal Weapon are defined by race and are accordingly either Good or Evil. Theres not many shades of grey in Mels movies. But I guess thats true of most films and hes no worse than anyone else

To be fair there was a good south african in Leathal Weapon 2 admittedly it was Patsy Kensit. Mel's character shagged her so she couldn't be a racist like all the others. That just wouldn't be right!

All drunks say silly things but drunken words don't suddenly come from nowhere.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:13 am

Well everyone knows he made a mistake and he's paying for it.
I think they were only drunken words.
As for his movies I love most of them. And the bad guys have to come from some country!!!

:?

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:22 am

sam wrote:Well everyone knows he made a mistake and he's paying for it.
I think they were only drunken words.
As for his movies I love most of them. And the bad guys have to come from some country!!!

Agreed.
Sometimes it's too easy to poke fun at something that's occured in pop-culture (and I am VERY guilty of that). But, then - both aspects are purely human nature. And so are the consequences.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:08 pm

Scatter wrote:Chin up Mel............I'm pulling for 'ya!!!!!

Joe Car wrote: The man has apologized over and over. WTF, where is the compassion?

Sean Ryan wrote:

scotch wrote:
Here's hoping for a full recovery for Mel Gibson, in his professional and private life.

dovey wrote:Mel was drunk at the time he made the statements and probably did not even relize what he was saying. ( Drunks always say and do stupid things and later regret them) :roll:

Eddie wrote:Hardly a big deal in the grand scheme of things

KHoots wrote: So, I hope he carries on and keeps his head up.

sam wrote:I think they were only drunken words.

I find it absolutly amazing that nearly everyone seems to be offering Gibson their support, when he was found to be drink driving!!

Everyone seems to be more concerned about what he said or his drinking habit rather than the FACT that he got behind the wheel of a car when drunk!!!

Would ye have the same compassion for some joe soap that stumbled out of a bar pissed drunk at 3am, jumped into his car and killed a member of your family.

It seems that more people think it's ok to drink and drive than i thought!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:50 pm

Promocollector wrote:
Scatter wrote:Chin up Mel............I'm pulling for 'ya!!!!!

Joe Car wrote: The man has apologized over and over. WTF, where is the compassion?

Sean Ryan wrote:

scotch wrote:

dovey wrote:Mel was drunk at the time he made the statements and probably did not even relize what he was saying. ( Drunks always say and do stupid things and later regret them) :roll:

Eddie wrote:Hardly a big deal in the grand scheme of things

KHoots wrote: So, I hope he carries on and keeps his head up.

sam wrote:I think they were only drunken words.

I find it absolutly amazing that nearly everyone seems to be offering Gibson their support, when he was found to be drink driving!!

Everyone seems to be more concerned about what he said or his drinking habit rather than the FACT that he got behind the wheel of a car when drunk!!!

Would ye have the same compassion for some joe soap that stumbled out of a bar pissed drunk at 3am, jumped into his car and killed a member of your family.

It seems that more people think it's ok to drink and drive than i thought!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Of course the main focus should be the fact that he got behind the wheel drunk and could have killed somebody, no doubt. My point was he made a mistake, no one was hurt, let him get his punishment as allowed by the law, but lets not crucify the man because of bad judgement, my God, most of us have done regretable things in our lives, (I know I have), sad but true. I also don't like the fact that nobody can get away with saying anything anymore. Look back at the Jimmy the Greek incident where the man basically stated a fact, but because he was drinking and it wasn't politically correct, he was fired from CBS. The world has turned so PC that's it's become sickening.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:55 pm

You dont get my point, I said 'hardly a big deal in the grand scheme of things' and stand by it, Im not condoning drink driving, Im saying I dont give a sh*t about the whole scandal. Just as I wouldnt give a sh*t about the average guy either, he is a good actor, he makes great movies, my interest ends there.

I find it amusing how his movies are picked on as hating one race/nationality or another....puuulleeese get a life. [Though he was biased against bikers in Mad Max.. :D ]

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:20 pm

Well my point is he was drink driving...fair enough punish him by what the law allows, but to lose his career as some want for a few drunken words seems over the top to me.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:25 pm

He should lose his license!

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:39 pm

Tom, as always, your comments are welcomed.

Personally, Mel was a HUGE favorite of mine growing up, especially in his "Gallipoli" - "Road Warrior" - "The Year Of Living Dangerously" era. Has there ever been someone on the screen so good-looking and supremely cool? OK, at least one (guess who). His cinematic choices since have not been my cup of tea, but obviously the public disagreed.

As for his incident, however he acts with you as a friend, according to scientific study the words cannot be blamed on the alcohol. That said, what Mel chooses to do to repair the damage, and rehabilitate his soul, will go a long way to diminishing the situation. In general, people have forgiveness in their hearts.

It's sad that someone so massively successful can be feeling so much personal pain and animosity. Something crappy precipitated that late night, tequila-fueled drive, and after getting his public affairs in order, Mel needs to address the alcohol and emotional problems in front of him.

Wish him my best on all fronts, and tell him that those early screen images helped me get through a very rough and lonely period, one for which I will always be grateful.

"If it's all the same to you, I'll drive that tanker."

Get in there Mel, and drive!

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:43 am

Gallipoli............I'm surprised that anyone outside Australia and NZ would be aware of this movie. If you're not, then I highly recommend it !

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:49 am

jake wrote:Gallipoli............I'm surprised that anyone outside Australia and NZ would be aware of this movie. If you're not, then I highly recommend it !

Hey Jake, how's it going.
My biggest problem with Mel is that when I go down the street everyone is asking me for autographs.
They think I'm Mel. (And not because I'm in a drunken stupor)
:wink:

8)

Yeah Tom, tell Mel we Aussies are behind him, and wish him well from us...or from me at least.

8)