Off Topic Messages

Goin' To Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:19 am

Hey guys, I need all of your help/input on what to do for Elvis Week 2007. I plan to save up all of my hard earned cash so I can have a chance to make the trip down to Memphis so I can pay my respects to the man that has helped us all of with his god given talent. It will be a very special occasion for me since I plan to head down to Memphis with my Girlfriend (if we're still together, that is...). I want to stay at the hotel that's on the grounds of the estate but I need help with things such as getting things together (reservations, transportation, etc.) Anyone know of any tips I can use? It's the first time I go out on my own and stay for a long period of time at a certain location that isn't my hometown. (I plan to get there on the 14th and leave on the 17th). More or less how much money should I take, minimum, so as to cover expenses in Memphis. I want to have a budget but I really don't know what that could be since I've never been there....

I would REALLY appreciate any tips you can give me so I can be as prepared as can be for what I hope is an amazing experience.....I might even run into some of you, which would be a pleasure :)
Thanks, Emilio

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:31 pm

Good tips, Carolyn. I usually plan for the things I really want to do, then work backwards from there; otherwise, the funds can dry up in a snap. One trip to Tribute Week I was determined to concentrate on picking up some missing pieces of my vinyl collection, so I did that and stayed away from most of the other things. Another time I wanted to focus on DVD's and CD's. Last year I made Tupelo a point of emphasis. I always plan to tour the mansion--twice. I think Sun Studio is a must, but to each his/her own. Another time, I was determined to track down a number of obscure Elvis-related locations to get a good flavor of Memphis. There are several books you can use to narrow that down. It all depends on what you like, and what's important for you to see.

The last two trips I have taken, we've stayed at the Baymont Inn, which is only a few miles from Graceland. They have a good continental breakfast, is not overly expensive, and is close to the freeway. Memphis can be a very tough town, especially at night, so be careful where you go.

It will be a fabulous time, though, as there are a lot of things to see and do. Research it and you'll find a ton of attractions.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:41 pm

I went all alone a few years ago.stayed at Motel 6 at Brook`s Road for 7 days...45 minutes walk from Graceland.
Was out at night all alone....walking these endless big streets.
Afterwards someone told me it`s very dangerous all alone in Memphis.
In fact some guys wanted to make me high...one wanted to "sell" me his woman..anothe one wnated to buy drugs from me..oh well and I am still living..lol..

Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:03 am

Ciscoking wrote:I went all alone a few years ago.stayed at Motel 6 at Brook`s Road for 7 days...45 minutes walk from Graceland.
Was out at night all alone....walking these endless big streets.
Afterwards someone told me it`s very dangerous all alone in Memphis.
In fact some guys wanted to make me high...one wanted to "sell" me his woman..anothe one wnated to buy drugs from me..oh well and I am still living..lol..

Yeah? Let's see you do it again! :D

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:16 am

I`d never do it this way again....I just had no idea.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:03 pm

I really enjoyed the hotel/motels at brooks, HH is very expensive! Brooks is just one mile from Graceland.

You have to see SUN, the Overton Park Shell, Audubon Drive, Lauderdale Courts, Baptis Memorial, the Mississippi River museum on Mud Island (wehre they have an Elvis suit), off course Beale Street, the Welcome Center at Memphis harbor with the sensational EP statue), the Stax museum (with no Elvis anymore, but he recorded there!) and so much more. I wish I could be there during EW! - And you also have to go to Tupelo!

For The Good Times! :smt038

O.S.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:05 pm

And I forgot: Have a great trip and a good time!

For the good times! :smt093

O.S.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:11 pm

Old Shep wrote:You have to see SUN, the Overton Park Shell, Audubon Drive, Lauderdale Courts, Baptis Memorial........

There's nothing left to see of BMH. It became a pile of rubble late last year. Frankly, it wasn't much to see prior to that, either, unless you really dig hospitals! But I get what you mean...it was a part of the Elvis story. :D

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:26 pm

Ciscoking wrote:...one wanted to "sell" me his woman..

That was you!!!??? Man, you still owe me $45 for Shaniquaqua!!!!

Tom

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:46 pm

I was sitting in a cab.

This guy was to drive me to downtown Memphis..Beale Street.
His wife was sitting next to him...I sat in the back.
We made a little small talk..of course they knew I was a tourist from Europe.
I said..well...I´ll also have a few beer at Elvis Presley`s Memphis and perhaps I meet a nice girl..I was joking....
I all seriousness he replied..well you can have my wife... and she agreed...lol...obviously they needed money..
During we talked I noticed that we were just driving around....I didn´t know the way to Beale Street and they knew this exactly...in the end I had to pay 25 bugs..
They try to get you where they can.. :lol:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:42 am

Ten years ago, I stayed at the Radisson in Memphis, just a couple of blocks from Beale Street - fantastic.
I would walk there almost every night.
I took a shuttle bus to Sun Studios one day, and Graceland the next. I also did a full city of Memphis tour.
I couple of other times I went to Graceland on my own, with a public bus that is. The name of the street where the bus stop was escapes me now, but suffice to say, it was within walking distance of my hotel.
All I can say is: GREAT EXPERIENCE!! It will live with me forever.........

Re: Goin' To Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:25 pm

TINML wrote:I want to stay at the hotel that's on the grounds of the estate but I need help with things such as getting things together (reservations, transportation, etc.) Anyone know of any tips I can use?

I wouldn't let another day go by without making reservations for next year. The longer you wait, the slimmer your chances of getting a hotel within miles of Graceland are.

Trust me when I say that there are many who have already made hotel reservations for next year. I was once one of those pressed to find a place to stay in Memphis.

Never again.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:49 pm

Have fun !

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:44 pm

I'm so jealous, I haven't been yet, hopefully I'll get their soon. Have a great time Emilio and if possible, let us know how it went.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:46 am

Thanx for all of the tips, I plan to start making calls next week.....anybody going to Memphis next year?