Off Topic Messages

Tarzan Collection-Volume 2 on DVD

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:55 am

Warner has just announced The Tarzan Collection, Volume 2, which will street on October 31st. The box set will include: Tarzan Triumphs, Tarzan's Desert Mystery, Tarzan and the Amazons, Tarzan and the Leopard Woman, Tarzan and the Huntress and Tarzan and the Mermaids. All of these films star the great Johnny Weissmuller and none have ever been available before on DVD or VHS. Expect the same full frame aspect ratio and Dolby Digital mono audio. No word as of yet on extras, if any.

Tom

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:08 am

I'm looking forward to this set Tom. These RKO films don't have the prestige of the MGM films, but they're still Tarzan films with Johnny Weissmuller, and are very entertaining. Umgawa!

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:18 pm

Pete,
I was wondering when you were going to see that.

Tom

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:08 am

Tom -
I would've responded sooner, but at the time you originally posted this we had recently moved, and didn't get internet access until earlier this week. But this certainly was news I've been waiting for! Thanks for posting it.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:22 am

Hey, my first posting in many months.

Tom, this is great news. I've had these films on DVD for a few years burned from AMC but it will be nice to have clean copies with extras.
These films bring back lots of memories for me.
Any word on the Lex Barker, Gordon Scott and others eventually coming to DVD? Or the TV series. I know it was pretty lame but would be fun to see again.
Also, this is not related but any news on any future Universal classic horrors for this fall other than the newer editions of Dracula and Frankenstein? I know there are quite a few that haven't been on DVD yet. Of course most of them are the lesser films but would still be nice to have.
Many thanks for your postings on the new releases.

jeff R

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:11 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:Hey, my first posting in many months.

Tom, this is great news. I've had these films on DVD for a few years burned from AMC but it will be nice to have clean copies with extras.
These films bring back lots of memories for me.
Any word on the Lex Barker, Gordon Scott and others eventually coming to DVD? Or the TV series. I know it was pretty lame but would be fun to see again.
Also, this is not related but any news on any future Universal classic horrors for this fall other than the newer editions of Dracula and Frankenstein? I know there are quite a few that haven't been on DVD yet. Of course most of them are the lesser films but would still be nice to have.
Many thanks for your postings on the new releases.

jeff R

Hey Jeffrey!! I was wondering what happened to you. From what I'm hearing, there are other "tarzan" projects in the works, but I don't have any details as of yet. There has been talk about releasing the other Tarzan films (sans Weissmuller) and the TV show as well. I do know that both Ron Ely and Manuel Padilla Jr. (Jai) were supposed to have been contacted for possible commentaries, but haven't heard anything further on that in a while. Considering the popularity of the Weissmuller sets and the current trend of releasing old TV Shows on DVD, I have no doubt that we will see all of these out sooner or later.

Universal is being very tight lipped on their future classic horror releases, but I do know that more are coming and more still are being planned.

Welcome back to the board. Don't be such a stranger.

Tom