Off Topic Messages

The Return of Mick Jones

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:59 pm

There's a full album & EP availble for free download here:

http://www.carbonsiliconinc.com/music/mp3.aspx

Album artwork is available on the gallery page.

The spirit of The Clash is alive and well in some of these lyrics.

Re: The Return of Mick Jones

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:24 pm

rockinrebel wrote:The spirit of The Clash is alive and well in some of these lyrics.

But what of the music? I really found nothing exciting in his post-Clash career, from B.A.D. and afterwards. Of course Joe's work didn't do much for me either, a track here or there -- like "Trash City" from 1988's "Permanent Record" film soundtrack.

There's a boot DVD of the last "real" Clash gig -- US Festival, May '83 -- and they're pretty spectacular. Full of fire and bum notes, the set list reflected a very pissed-off band. And the drummer they'd enlisted in place of Topper or Terry was fantastic. What a shame it was the end of the road.

Re: The Return of Mick Jones

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:But what of the music? I really found nothing exciting in his post-Clash career, from B.A.D. and afterwards. Of course Joe's work didn't do much for me either, a track here or there -- like "Trash City" from 1988's "Permanent Record" film soundtrack.

There's a boot DVD of the last "real" Clash gig -- US Festival, May '83 -- and they're pretty spectacular. Full of fire and bum notes, the set list reflected a very pissed-off band. And the drummer they'd enlisted in place of Topper or Terry was fantastic. What a shame it was the end of the road.

I don’t think this new music is comparable to Mick’s earlier work with The Clash, but it is nice to see that he is making music again and that he still has a social conscience. The last commercially issued BAD album came out in 1995, so it’s been over 10 years since we’ve heard from him (excluding production work), and I think the attitude towards the new band is a little more relaxed.

I went to see the new band play live. They play small venues, and encourage audience members to film, record and distribute the shows. So rather than a commercial venture, I think at the moment they are just making and playing music for the fun of it, and in some respects this is refreshing.

I was quite a big BAD fan in the early days, in fact their music turned me on to The Clash, but I would agree that neither BAD nor Joe Strummer as a solo artist could ever really compare to The Clash. I do like Joe’s soundtrack work for the Alex Cox film “Walker”, and I think that his most consistent period as a solo artist came with The Mescaleros shortly before his passing. The only work that really carries the energy and excitement of The Clash though, comes from his pre Clash days with The 101 ers. Some of those recordings really rock.

I’m familiar with the film you mention and agree that is an exciting performance, even though the conflicts within the band, along with their dissatisfaction with the audience’s response are apparent.

If my memory is correct the drummer was called Pete Howard. He toured the US again with The Clash when Joe tried to keep the band going after firing Mick Jones, and was part of the line up that recorded the much maligned “Cut The Crap” album following Mick’s departure.