Off Topic Messages

Jack Warden has died

Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:37 pm

The wires have now picked up the story, so I can let you know that Jack Warden, the Emmy-winning and Academy Award-nominated actor, has died. Jack died Wednesday in New York at the age of 85. Nominated twice for a best supporting actor Oscar (Shampoo and Heaven Can Wait), Jack actually won an Emmy for playing George Halas in Brian's Song, with Jimmy Caan. Jack may be best known as Juror No. 7 in the 1957 classic Twelve Angry Men. Personally, my two favorite roles were as Roy L. and Luke Fuchs in Used Cars and as Judge Rayford in ....And Justice For All.

Interestingly enough, Jack was the exact opposite of his on-screen persona. He was a quite and gentle man who never had a bad thing to say about anyone. My heartfelt condolences go out to Marucha and Chris.

Tom

P.S. Jack was also an Elvis fan!!

Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:41 pm

I saw this earlier today.........a great character actor. RIP.....

Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:48 pm

85 is not bad, not bad at all, twice as long as Elvis. I'd settle for 85 with no complaints. Hope he left us peacefuly though.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:33 am

May he rest in peace.

I loved his work. What short lived tv series did he appear on where he and his son were both detectives? Was it Crazy Like a Fox, or something like that?

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:26 am

Every time i see that face of his when i open the thread I picture him and or that face in roles that he wasn't even playing :lol:

but he had that face for it, hard to explain.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:03 am

Joe Car wrote:I loved his work. What short lived tv series did he appear on where he and his son were both detectives? Was it Crazy Like a Fox, or something like that?

It was Crazy Like a Fox. Great, albeit short lived, series with Jack and John Rubinstein.

Steve_M wrote:Every time i see that face of his when i open the thread I picture him and or that face in roles that he wasn't even playing :lol:

Ahh, the sign of a great character actor. Jack was one of the best in the business.

Tom

Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:30 pm

Given that not all films and TV shows etc. make it to our TV screens I have only seen Jack Warden in Ed, The Verdict, Being There, Beyond The Poseidon Adventure, The Champ and Twelve Angry Men. My favorite role Harry M. Rosenfeld in All The President's Men. What an outstanding actor and wonderful person. RIP. But the award for Least Sentimental Death Announcement probably goes to his longtime business manager Sidney Pazoff for: "Everything gave out. Old age. He really had turned downhill in the past month; heart and then kidney and then all kinds of stuff."

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:01 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Joe Car wrote:I loved his work. What short lived tv series did he appear on where he and his son were both detectives? Was it Crazy Like a Fox, or something like that?

It was Crazy Like a Fox. Great, albeit short lived, series with Jack and John Rubinstein.

Steve_M wrote:Every time i see that face of his when i open the thread I picture him and or that face in roles that he wasn't even playing :lol:

Ahh, the sign of a great character actor. Jack was one of the best in the business.

Tom

Thanks for confirming that for me Tom, my wife and I loved that series.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:11 pm

Joe Car wrote:Thanks for confirming that for me Tom, my wife and I loved that series.

I always liked it as well. In fact, it was on the short list for DVD release last year, so I'm sure that all 35 episodes will be released in the not too distant future.

Tom

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:37 pm

R.I.P. Jack.

Was he the last surviving juror from 12 Angry Men ?

No - Juror No.5 - Jack Klugman [Quincy, The Odd Couple] is still around at 84 !

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:06 am

That's sad. I'm sorry to see him go. I loved him in all the movies mentioned especially "The Verdict" and "Twelve Angry Men".

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:19 pm

Im almost ashamed to admit it but Used Cars was one of my favourite films, a guilty pleasure. :wink:

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:06 pm

Don't be ashamed. It's damned funny!!

Tom

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:29 am

R.I.P. Jack :cry:

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:59 am

I was off the board for awhile and missed this thread, so I just want to add my condolences for the loss of a top-notch character actor. RIP Jack Warden. I remember watching him on the tv show N.Y.P.D. An unusually gritty show for it's time.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:48 am

My dad and I loved "Crazy Like a Fox". I didn't realize the series was so short-lived!