Off Topic Messages

Why?

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:15 am

Why do the characters in so many American movies hold their Flash lights/torches in such ridiculous ways? CSI Miami, New York, Las Vegas, Law and Order, NYPD etc etc.

Irrational I know, but it gets me down! I always hold a torch so I can switch it on or off.

Now you will all notice it more and curse me for pointing it out. Serves you right for opening this silly thread :lol:

Batteries not included.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:26 am

You are dredging the depths MC,,give us a break,,its too hot :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:54 am

Rusty, It's too hot here too :lol:

Everyone has to suffer, I bought a black car today!!! And it hasn't got a sun roof like the one it's replacing.

I'm just not very bright in this weather :wink:

How will we sleep????????????? Well not we...meaning......oh never mind it's too hot for that too!

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:06 am

Elvis sure as hell knew how to hold a flashlight.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:32 am

I'm not sure how you mean about holding it - guess I'll notice soon enough the next time i watch one of these shows.

A flashlight should be held as near to the eye as possible pointing in the direction the eye is looking in order to reduce shadows everywhere when looking.

What the heck are the yanks doing with theirs then? Elvis is okay with his as he doesn't have it switched on. hang on, that's not okay, is it ?

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:52 am

Actually, my daughter asked the same thing !

[I may even have posted about it on here, can't remember].

She wondered why, in US films, tv etc they hold a torch up over the shoulder as if it were a javelin, thumb underneath !

Over here we hold it at waist height with the thumb on top.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:43 am

ColinB wrote:Over here we hold it at waist height with the thumb on top.

Stop boasting Colin!!!! :oops:

8)

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:44 am

Holding the light above, or to the side of, the head is most likely done for dramatic purposes, or as Steve says, it may actually be the proper way to hold a flashlight.

I hold a light just above about waist level about 18 inches from the body, forearm basically parallel to the ground. I don't know if I am a "typical American" or not though. 8)

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:03 am

scotch wrote:Holding the light above, or to the side of, the head is most likely done for dramatic purposes, or as Steve says, it may actually be the proper way to hold a flashlight.

I hold a light just above about waist level about 18 inches from the body, forearm basically parallel to the ground. I don't know if I am a "typical American" or not though. 8)

That's how we do it in Michigan, too, Scotch...(These topics never cease to amaze me, baby!) :D

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:20 am

KHoots wrote:
scotch wrote:Holding the light above, or to the side of, the head is most likely done for dramatic purposes, or as Steve says, it may actually be the proper way to hold a flashlight.

That's how we do it in Michigan, too, Scotch...(These topics never cease to amaze me, baby!) :D

I'm amazed people are responding :lol: Some guys in those American movies and TV dramas hold the torch at it's base with the tips of their fingers.

As a young boy I thought the Canadian Mounty in our newspapers comic section with a torch fixed to his rifle was a brilliant idea!

I understand the stylisation for dramatic effect, just as many American actors hold their Budweiser bottles like English ladies hold their tea cups :lol:

It's only 6.20 am here and I Have all day to play........... :oops:

Re: Why?

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:12 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:Why do the characters in so many American movies hold their Flash lights/torches in such ridiculous ways?.

Good point.........please add to this list. :wink:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18646

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:32 pm

OK the large ones could be weapons, although the cops also have guns :wink:

But there is a wide variety of flashlights used, some as small as penlights.

The variation in the handling is extraordinary to say the least.

Watch closely...................and become hooked. :lol:

Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:12 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:OK the large ones could be weapons, although the cops also have guns :wink:

But there is a wide variety of flashlights used, some as small as penlights.

The variation in the handling is extraordinary to say the least.

Watch closely...................and become hooked. :lol:

But sometimes the cops don't have the need to kill, rather they use the mags for "take downs".

The same could probably be said if we had a cross-section of about 2000 people from around the world and how they handle different things like cups, etc.

I'm sure in those types of situations it's cultural instead of practical.

Darnit........ And I made a point not to respond all this time. arghhhhhhh!

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:03 am

C'mon now Jordan, it's not at all like the handling of cups (Except fo one instance I noticed) :lol:

The torch bearers are on our TV screens almost every night.

You will lock on to the behaviour now. I tried not to.............but someone had to tell the world :wink:

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:29 pm

I was hoping to compare the torch handling on hit American TV shows to the torch handling on hit Irish TV shows.......

When Ireland actually HAS a hit TV show, I'll report back :lol:

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:30 pm

"Father Ted" was a resounding success in the UK, Don't Ask Me Why :lol:

Now how about America's "Stream Dance"? Even the mighty Mississippi cannot beat our Dancing River.

Re: Why?

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:36 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:Why do the characters in so many American movies hold their Flash lights/torches in such ridiculous ways? CSI Miami, New York, Las Vegas, Law and Order, NYPD etc etc.

Irrational I know, but it gets me down! I always hold a torch so I can switch it on or off.

Now you will all notice it more and curse me for pointing it out. Serves you right for opening this silly thread :lol:

Batteries not included.

Beats me, I'm still trying to get over bad guys on tv or movies firing a gun sideways as opposed to the covential way. :lol: