Off Topic Messages

Barbara Stanwyck

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:30 pm

Barbara Stanwyck [Elvis' boss in Roustabout] would have been 99 years old today.

If she hadn't suffered heart failure and died in 1990 aged 82.

She had her heyday in the 40's in films like Double Indemnity.
[see pic]

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:57 pm

From Elvis Echo magazine Image

No, they couldn't be............. could they?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:52 pm

She was always a fave of mine - but not through the ELvis connection or "The Big Valley"...

She was a bit of a bombshell in the 30s and 40s... :oops: :lol:

I'm forgetting the titles of the flicks...

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:41 am

Yes Greg a fine actress. Double Indemnity and hundreds more. She starred alongside just about every major male movie star!

See her on wikipedia.

And she was Irish descent :D Hence her beauty :wink:

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:45 am

That might be it - and her Brooklyn roots. (Have'em too!)

Wasn't she in a Gary Cooper flick, like "Mr. Deeds" or something?

I remember her in the one you mention, too.

What'd you think of June Allyson back in the day, Maurice? Girl next door?

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:41 am

Image I can just about read the page..can you?

From Halliwells "Filmgoers Companion". Barbara Stanwyck was part of our growing up, we loved, and hated, the characters she played so well in the movies.

Greg, June was really far too much the plain girl next door.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:07 pm

I know, I was just kidding...

She just died this week and I had commented on the silence about it on the Red Buttons thread.. :wink:

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:07 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I know, I was just kidding...

She just died this week and I had commented on the silence about it on the Red Buttons thread.. :wink:

:lol:

Yes it's sad how some names slip by to eternity.

I always remember her croaky voice, a little like Lizabeth Scott's. That lady almost ruined "Loving You" for me..........she was far too old :cry:

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:12 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:

I always remember her croaky voice, a little like Lizabeth Scott's. That lady almost ruined "Loving You" for me..........she was far too old :cry:

Don't be too hard on Lizabeth Scott !

She was supposed to be an 'older woman' in that film.

And, like I said, I did mention June's passing on the Syd Barrett thread.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:22 pm

That's true: I was remiss in even looking at the Syd thread, Colin, although I did send that news along to some former Floyd fan friends of mine..

Ms. Scott was quite the femme fatale in the '40s from what I could tell.

In "Loving You," she had a hint of the May-December thing happening. I saw it when I was young and had a hard time fathoming it, not unlike Elvis and that Munster "Carolyn Jones in "King Creole," which also didn't compute when I was a kid...

In both cases, Delores Hart was it for me. :wink:

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Ms. Scott was quite the femme fatale in the '40s from what I could tell.

In "Loving You," she had a hint of the May-December thing happening. I saw it when I was young and had a hard time fathoming it, not unlike Elvis and that Munster "Carolyn Jones in "King Creole," which also didn't compute when I was a kid...

In both cases, Delores Hart was it for me. :wink:

Yeah !

It's funny how time changes your outlook on things !

I remember with Kid Galahad, it was always Rose [Joan Blackman] who I fancied, but seeing the film recently [as a comparatively old man] I can't understand how the attractiveness of Dolly [Lola Albright] escaped my attention back then !

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:06 am

ColinB wrote:
MauriceinIreland wrote:

Don't be too hard on Lizabeth Scott !

She was supposed to be an 'older woman' in that film.

And, like I said, I did mention June's passing on the Syd Barrett thread.

Colin, I know she was playing an older woman, but did she have to look SO much older:-)

Even though she was only 35 at the time :wink:

Nevertheless I watched her on 7 consecutive nights in "Loving You" at a local cinema.

Yes Greg she played the gangsters moll in quite a few movies. Her real name was Emma Matzo.

Dolores Hart was so young compared to Carolyn Jones at 29 in 1958......... she wasn't that old :lol:

Back in the 50s my brother and I were often in 3 different Cinemas in one day! We saw just about every movie released.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:04 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:...In both cases, Delores Hart was it for me. :wink:

Same for me. For some reason, I feel a little dirty about that now, though.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:24 am

Guys please, stop with the Delores Hart stuff. I don't want a lightning bolt taking out this site!

Colin: I too was taken with Joan Blackman in Kid Galahad.
Greg: Carolyn Jones=Adams Family

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:52 am

Dolores Dolores Dolores!

My own sister Dolores is not a Sister Dolores, she has seven children :lol:

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:39 pm

Pretty neat...EIN or maybe the other aussie site had a interesting recent interview with Mother Hart...

Carolyn Jones in my mind looked 39 ("and holding" :lol: ) in "King Creole" but again perhaps that's just what a young mind assumed....

Pete, got my sitcoms mixed up.... :oops: Maybe it's because I saw her on the Munsters, I mean, The Adams Family, (almost ten years later) that my eyes saw her as an old hag.

But did E look like a high schooler in "King Creole"? :roll:

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:04 pm

Greg, we have an ABC 20/20 TV video of Mother Hart talking about her life, Movies, romance, and Elvis. Quite a poignant story, if not downright sad.

There are a few other interesting interviews with her on the internet..Catholic radio etc. Sorry, lost the links.

Ageism is quite funny from our perspective...young at heart, we see how old young people really are these days :lol:

Kids are out of their childhood before we know it. Well some of them.... the precocious are even more precocious. Our grandchildren ask us questions we couldn't even spell at their age :lol:

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:42 pm

I always liked that Dylan line about aging...

"A self-ordained professor's tongue
Too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty
Is just equality in school
"Equality," I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.
"
-Bob Dylan
From the song "My Back Pages"

Maurice, what year was that Mother Hart 20/20 broadcast? I may have seen that...

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I always liked that Dylan line about aging...

"A self-ordained professor's tongue
Too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty
Is just equality in school
"Equality," I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.
"
-Bob Dylan
From the song "My Back Pages"

Maurice, what year was that Mother Hart 20/20 broadcast? I may have seen that...

Greg, I don't know when it was broadcast in the USA, but it was broadcast on our TV3 service in 2001.

People magazine did an article on Mother Dolores Hart maybe 1999/2000. I have the article sent to us from Michigan.