Off Topic Messages

Chain e-mail

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:42 am

I got one of those 'chain e-mails' which they ask to be forwarded to as many people as possible.

For every name it is passed to [they claim] the American Cancer Society will donate 3 cents to a dying girl's cancer treatment and recovery plan.

Are these things genuine ?

I mean, can they monitor how many people receive it ?

Why doesn't this charity just pay up in the first place ?

It all sounds highly suspicious to me !

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:07 am

None of them are genuine. Just delete.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:28 am

If you respond it encourages more spam to your in-box and everyone you forward the mail to gets the same. It's a bit sick they have to resort to the illness stories to achieve their objectives.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:17 am

Those charity e-mails are fake, but I will soon receive $50,000 for helping an African prince in exile recover his rightful fortune. I simply e-mailed him my social security number and bank account information.

I expect payment any day now. Think of the FTDs I can buy with $50,000!

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:25 am

scotch wrote:Those charity e-mails are fake, but I will soon receive $50,000 for helping an African prince in exile recover his rightful fortune. I simply e-mailed him my social security number and bank account information.

Congratulations !

Have you checked your bank account balance lately ?

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:31 am

Yes, the $500 processing fee has already been removed from my account, so the money from the prince should show up any minute now.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:32 am

scotch wrote:Yes, the $500 processing fee has already been removed from my account, so the money from the prince should show up any minute now.

Don't hold your breath !

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

scotch wrote:Yes, the $500 processing fee has already been removed from my account, so the money from the prince should show up any minute now.

Hey, I did the same thing. Unfortunately, they withdrew $5000 from my account. I'm sure it's just an honest mistake and they'll be returning the money shortly....along with the $50,000 of course. I'll just be waiting here patiently.

Tom

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:22 pm

scotch wrote:Those charity e-mails are fake, but I will soon receive $50,000 for helping an African prince in exile recover his rightful fortune. I simply e-mailed him my social security number and bank account information.

Some pretty intelligent people have been caught out by these 'let us use your bank account' scams !

At least my chain letter didn't require any money or bank details from me.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:32 pm

ColinB wrote:

Some pretty intelligent people have been caught out by these 'let us use your bank account' scams !

At least my chain letter didn't require any money or bank details from me.

Colin, they're just laying the groundwork, they'll ask you next time. :lol:

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:12 pm

Joe Car wrote:Colin, they're just laying the groundwork, they'll ask you next time. :lol:

I doubt it.

I didn't respond.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:46 pm

These bulk mails can get really annoying. Some senders are clever and use names, that go to my inbox and not the unwanted folder. And all those "phishing" mails. One time I didn't check my account for five days and I had 200. No kidding. Including some of the eMails listed on the following pages. The various providers ask the users to report spam, but I imagine there are billions getting send every week and how are you going to stop that, especially if there is a never-ending stream of victims? Thank God for the DELETE button.

Nigerian Fraud Email Gallery
A rich harvest of criminal creativity

http://potifos.com/fraud

http://www.scambusters.org

What Is "Phishing?"
"Phishing" refers to a person or a group of cyber-criminals who create an imitation or copy of an existing legitimate Web page to trick users into providing sensitive personal information. Responding to "phishing" emails put your accounts at risk.

Large numbers of recipients are being "spammed," without actual knowledge of their banking affiliation. They request and collect email addresses and other confidential information like financial account numbers, IDs and passwords. The cyber-criminals have copied the logos and the content styles of widely known and respected financial institutions in an attempt to elicit a response from a recipient who may or may not be a customer of that financial institution.

Who Are Cyber-Criminals?
"Phishing" cyber-criminals solicit personal data from unsuspecting victims via the Internet - like personal IDs, passwords, card numbers and PINs - and sell this information to other criminals who use it for financial gain. They can also access a customer's accounts through online banking and set up false bill payments that send checks to the criminal or a conspirator. In other cases, criminals transfer funds from all available customer accounts, including credit cards, savings accounts and home equity loans into their checking account. A copy of the customer's credit card or check card is then used with their PIN at ATMs around the world to withdraw cash from their checking account.

How Cyber-Criminals Operate
To increase the number of responses, cyber-criminals include upsetting or exciting statements in their emails. They want people to react immediately and respond with the desired information without thinking. To protect yourself, take the time to examine the claims made in the email. If you receive an email requesting sensitive information, check its authenticity by contacting the company that appears to be the originator of the email.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:43 pm

Wow, these guys really need to check their computers. They just took another $5000 from my account. I'll bet someones going to be in real trouble when they realize their mistake.

Tom

Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:59 am

Tom, I am in big trouble ..the boss has asked me to return the 1o,ooo -please send me your secret Swiss account details asap. 8)

Colin, the boss forgot : he needs your bank account details - and while you are at it please send your credit card details too - makes it faster and easier - :wink:

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:08 pm

Aw look on the bright side folks. It could be worse. You could be getting an inordinate amount of junk-mail guaranteeing to increase your schlong size!

By the way, they're all liars!

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Pete Dube wrote:You could be getting an inordinate amount of junk-mail guaranteeing to increase your schlong size!

WHAT!!??

Well, there's $49.95 down the drain. :oops:

Tom

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:34 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:You could be getting an inordinate amount of junk-mail guaranteeing to increase your schlong size!

WHAT!!??

Well, there's $49.95 down the drain. :oops:

Tom

An easier and cheaper way is to have a peruse of the Alizee Pics thread !

Works every time.