Off Topic Messages

Saint George

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:17 pm

Saint George

A Turkish soldier who was tortured & beheaded in Palestine in 304 AD.

The Patron Saint of England.

Why
?

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:20 pm

Colin

Why not?

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:24 pm

Torben wrote:Colin

Why not?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Why not?

I asked first !

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:27 pm

Colin

Well, OK: Because they can!

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:30 pm

Well, OK: Because they can!

The other saints in the UK have at least some relevance to the country they are the patrons of.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:33 pm

Colin

Those crazy Christians!

Re: Saint George

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:52 pm

ColinB wrote:Saint George

Why
?

Perhaps he had roots in England, either way, a tough way to go.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:59 pm

A Turkish soldier.

Why
?

Didn't he introduce the Kebab to these shores?? That's a good enough reason. :wink:

Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:07 pm

Delboy wrote:Didn't he introduce the Kebab to these shores?? That's a good enough reason. :wink:

Delightful !

Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:39 am

Why
?

You could equally ask why he's the Patron Saint of Georgia. The answer is that a cult built up around his name over many centuries, until an entirely fictional character was created. This character became a symbol for bravery in battle and represented all things a model knight should aspire to become. His position in England was solidified in the 14th century when the Order of the Garter was founded by Edward III. George was the patron of the Order and during Edward's reign became the Patron Saint of England. We celebrate a myth on St George's Day.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:16 am

TJ wrote:
His position in England was solidified in the 14th century when the Order of the Garter was founded by Edward III. George was the patron of the Order and during Edward's reign became the Patron Saint of England.

Order of the Garter TJ? If there is such a thing then I'm loooooong overdue for canonization! Heck, if there's an Order of Edible Underwear then I should be their Pope!

Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:18 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
TJ wrote:
His position in England was solidified in the 14th century when the Order of the Garter was founded by Edward III. George was the patron of the Order and during Edward's reign became the Patron Saint of England.

Order of the Garter TJ? If there is such a thing then I'm loooooong overdue for canonization! Heck, if there's an Order of Edible Underwear then I should be their Pope!

Pope Pete the Perve has a nice ring to it :wink:

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:45 pm

TJ wrote:Pope Pete the Perve has a nice ring to it :wink:

:lol: