Off Topic Messages

Socceroos ripped off with a last second penalty

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:52 pm

Yes they were. That should not have been a penalty!!! :x

Oh well that's life!!!

8)

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:54 pm

Poor Australia. Italy did not deserve the penalty.
Sorry, Sam. Too bad.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:48 am

You were robbed.

At this level, all penalty's resulting in a goal kick should be confirmed by a TV replay ref.

It works for League, Rugby and Cricket.

The refs would welcome it too, takes them off the hook.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:22 am

Italy won but the penalty was ludicrous!!!

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:31 am

Well sorry, but I think that penalty was justified and well deserved :!:

Any blind man can review and clearly see exactly what happened so I won't bother to recap.

Italy got the raw deal for most of the game and could of had 8 goals in comparison to the 2 decent attempts that Australia had.

I will add that I think Australia played fairly well. The Aussies should be very proud.

But...Suck it up... :wink:

FORZA ITALIA

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:42 am

minkahed wrote:Well sorry, but I think that penalty was justified and well deserved :!:

FORZA ITALIA

Well you are the only person I have heard say that. Please explain why it was justified!!! :shock:

8)

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:45 am

"I think it was a questionable penalty, but the referee gave it. He fell, it was just a normal challenge," Hiddink said.

8)

And so agrees averyone else so far except 1 !!!

P.S. Also if you read any news items on the game or news broadcasts they all say a controversial penalty. I wonder why??? :roll:

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:07 am

sam wrote:"I think it was a questionable penalty, but the referee gave it. He fell, it was just a normal challenge," Hiddink said.

8)

And so agrees averyone else so far except 1 !!!

P.S. Also if you read any news items on the game or news broadcasts they all say a controversial penalty. I wonder why??? :roll:

Of course the news broadcasts are gonna say "controversial penalty", c'mon, don't be so naive :!:

Look, I'm not gonna get into it with you or anyone else on this matter, but I stand by what I said and is MY OPINION, jus like you have YOUR OPINION.

You should be proud of your team... :wink:

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:12 am

minkahed wrote: You should be proud of your team... :wink:

I am, but they were still ripped off!!! :P

8)

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:23 am

sam wrote:
minkahed wrote: You should be proud of your team... :wink:

I am, but they were still ripped off!!! :P

8)

Uh Huh...

Like I said...

SUCK IT UP :P

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 am

Correct Carolyn.
I'm starting my own world cup in my back yard.

The Aussies will win this one!!! :wink:

:D

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:59 am

carolynlm wrote:kick it to me, kick it to me..... :lol: :lol:

There ya go...put it in the net!!! :D

8)

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:24 am

carolynlm wrote:Sam.....'R's dog got it.... :?

That's ok... he's on our side!!! :shock:

8)

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:16 am

carolynlm wrote:that's right, he's an Aussie kelpie isn't he?

Staffy.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:45 am

carolynlm wrote:I can't see that happening Minka.....(suck it up)
'The Powers That Be' didn't want us in the comp in the first place.....
I have said I am the first to admit that I know next to nothing about this game, but I have listened to various people, from all over the globe saying that the Aussies have had it tough from the start with refereeing decisions etc. The theatrics that the Italians displayed was quite funny to watch though, I will grant you that......
Our players can walk away from this knowing they surely have shown the rest of the world that they are up there with the best of them.
I just hope that the teams left standing are given fair opportunites in the last few games. It seems as though the federation are now saying, OK we are rid of the riff raff, now can we get on with the 'world cup'......
Personally I don't care who wins it now.....

I'm not so sure that the Aussies had a raw deal from the refs throughout. The standard of the referees has been pretty terrible generally throughout the Cup and most teams have faced bad decisions. There is absolutely no consistency with decisions. One ref will give yellow cards for virtually any tough challenge and another will let players be hacked to pieces without a word. It's always going to seem worse when a bad decision puts you out of the tournament and I do think the penalty was very harsh. It was a very bad decision for the Aussie defender to go to ground in the penalty area though. Just asking for trouble! Overall, the Italians were the better side but the match should have been decided more conclusively. Your team had played too well over the four games to go out on a dubious penalty decision.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:53 pm

And a word from the Socceroos!!!

Italian penalty a 'joke', say Socceroos
Tuesday Jun 27 15:21 AEST
Furious Socceroos branded as a "joke" the contentious last-gasp penalty that cruelly ended their World Cup.

With a quarter-final berth at stake and a 10-man Italian side wilting in the heat, the match seemed headed for extra time and the boilover of the 2006 tournament was on the cards.

But Australian jaws dropped in disbelief when referee Luis Medina Cantalejo pointed to the spot after what they claimed was a "dive" by Fabio Grosso over the prone body of defender Lucas Neill.

Francesco Totti's conversion with the last kick of the match gave goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer no chance.

The Socceroos have mostly bitten their tongues during a luckless World Cup tilt marred by a string of refereeing atrocities.

But they were in no mood to hold back their anger this time.

"From the sideline and from what I have seen on TV it was a joke," said assistant coach Graham Arnold.

"A joke," he repeated.

"To give a dubious decision like that with 10 seconds to go, that hurts.

"We are a small footballing nation that gets no favours.

"All we ask for is a fair go, and I don't think we received it over the four games."

Midfielder Tim Cahill said he was "furious".

"One decision has changed Australian football and changed our lives as players," Cahill said.

"We should still be in this tournament.

"All that hard work, and we still don't get through.

"It's unbelievable. You fall over and you get a penalty.

"Everything has been against us.

"Lucas hasn't touched him (Grosso); he's just fallen over.

"We have watched it in there (on TV in the change rooms) time and time again. What more do you want us to say?

"Sometimes referees get star-struck."

Asked if Grosso could have been cautioned for diving, Cahill said: "Most definitely."

Fellow midfielder Jason Culina said: "A last-second penalty that wasn't even a penalty ... There are no words to describe the way we feel."

Captain Mark Viduka added: "To go out that way was cruel, very cruel.

"We really dominated. We had the feeling that if it went to extra time we were going to beat them.

"It (the penalty) was very soft. The guy tripped over Lucas."

Coach Guus Hiddink said: "There is no doubt, it wasn't a penalty. It's a bitter way to finish."

His Italian counterpart Marcello Lippi asked straight-faced at a press conference: "Is there anyone who doubts it wasn't a penalty?"

His answer came in the form of a babble of murmuring from a room full of journalists from Italy, Australia and many other countries.

"It didn't look like there was any contact," said Australian defender Scott Chipperfield.

"It looks like he (Fabio Grosso) dived over him (Lucas Neill).

"With a decision like that, it's really hurting."

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer said: "At the time I wasn't sure. It's easy in hindsight, but now that I have seen it on TV I don't think it was a penalty.

"The way the game went, we didn't feel we deserved to go out that way."

"We deserved more," said striker John Aloisi, who plays his club football in Spain.

"I don't really want to say too much because I have that referee in Spain."

8)

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:57 pm

This World Cup is becoming as big a joke as the European Song Contest, perhaps next time instead of the pundits we could have Terry Wogan doing the commentary. 8) :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:35 pm

carolynlm wrote:The international soccer people didn't want us there in the first place

First time I hear this. Did anyone make this statement in an interview or?

At full motion is definately looks like a a peanalty. On further review it becomes obvious that Neil impeded Grosso, but when Grosso felt contact he went down. Should have been an indirect for obstruction...Not a penalty kick, because Grosso "dove" when he felt Neil. Neil impeded, but he did not trip him and bring him down. Grosso used Neil's body to trip himself to draw a call. I wouldn't call that in the 92nd minute though.

Socceroos: Next time, eat your prey, and go and win the damn thing.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:12 pm

It was never a penalty, this world cup has being ruined by poor refereeing and I say that as a qualified ref myself! :roll:

Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:53 am

Liverbobs wrote:It was never a penalty, this world cup has being ruined by poor refereeing and I say that as a qualified ref myself! :roll:

I agree. The aussies were robbed!

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:02 pm

It was a shame that the Aussies went out like that, but if a defender goes to ground in the area, the striker is always going to fall over him to try and con the ref.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:57 pm

Why Diving Makes Soccer Great: In defense of soccer's biggest villains
By Austin Kelley
Posted Tuesday, June 27, 2006, at 5:20 PM ET

http://www.slate.com/id/2144625

The 10...

...best football dives

Sunday November 2, 2003

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/stor ... 48,00.html

The True Story of American Soccer
From The Thinking Fan's Guide to the World Cup
By Dave Eggers
Posted Friday, June 9, 2006, at 5:37 AM ET

http://www.slate.com/id/2142554/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28soccer%29

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:47 pm

One thing I should have said the other day was that this luck goes both ways.

The Italian defender was unfortunate to be sent off, the Aussie was unfortunate to concede the penalty.

Forza Italia! :D

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:47 pm

OFFICIAL! It wasn't a penalty! :D

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:43 pm

Actually the truth is the Aussie player passed gas, thus the dive. :lol: