Off Topic Messages

US - Thanks for the loan !

Wed May 10, 2006 4:49 pm

From the BBC site:

On 31 December the UK will make a payment of about $83m (£45.5m) to the US and so discharge the last of its loans from World War II from its transatlantic ally.

Well, thanks for the loan, guys, sorry we took so long to repay it !

But we've not been well lately, and what with little Jimmy and his asthma, aunty Jane's hot flushes and John being out of work for so long, there were times when I thought we'd never cope; the money has come in really useful, even if the repayments were an awful burden at times...... but now there is light at the end of the tunnel..............

Wed May 10, 2006 5:20 pm

Colin -
If it was up to me I'd forgive the debt as a way of saying thank you for being our staunchest allies!

Wed May 10, 2006 6:34 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Colin -
If it was up to me I'd forgive the debt as a way of saying thank you for being our staunchest allies!

Thanks, Pete !

But no, we always pays our debts, have never been in arrears [well, not that often] and we like to feel we can look anyone in the eye and not feel that we accepted charity.

Although the 2% interest rate charged was a 'charitable' one !

Wed May 10, 2006 6:40 pm

Glad we could be of service to you, Colin. If there is anything else you need, please don't hesitate to ask. :D

Wed May 10, 2006 6:42 pm

KHoots wrote:Glad we could be of service to you, Colin. If there is anything else you need, please don't hesitate to ask. :D

Well, since you mention it...................

.................how about putting a Democrat in the white house ?

Wed May 10, 2006 7:18 pm

ColinB wrote:
KHoots wrote:Glad we could be of service to you, Colin. If there is anything else you need, please don't hesitate to ask. :D

Well, since you mention it...................

I'm willing to take a good look at General Clarke next time out Colin.

But would you settle for a moderate republican with a strong independent streak that is willing to work with democrats? A John McCain?

Wed May 10, 2006 8:20 pm

ColinB wrote:Well, since you mention it...................

Well, I'm not sure it would make a heckuva lot of difference, but I'll see what I can do. I'll dig up my little black book and start making some calls.

Re: US - Thanks for the loan !

Wed May 10, 2006 8:29 pm

ColinB wrote:Well, thanks for the loan, guys, sorry we took so long to repay it!

As far as I'm concerned, the loan is paid in full. I mean, you did share Princess Diana with us while she was here. For that, we'll always be grateful.

So, thank you.

Wed May 10, 2006 9:38 pm

Rob wrote:
ColinB wrote:Well, thanks for the loan, guys, sorry we took so long to repay it!

As far as I'm concerned, the loan is paid in full. I mean, you did share Princess Diana with us while she was here. For that, we'll always be grateful.

Don't forget Camilla !

BTW - the loan was for rebuilding after the war.

We got it in 1950, to be repaid over the next 50 years.

It should have been cleared in 2000 [I worked that out myself !] but we skipped payments in 6 different years due to economic and/or political pressures.

This December will see the very last payment !

Wed May 10, 2006 11:37 pm

ColinB wrote:
Rob wrote:

Don't forget Camilla !

Don't push your luck! We yanks don't like you Brits THAT much!

Wed May 10, 2006 11:45 pm

ColinB wrote:BTW - the loan...should have been cleared in 2000...but we skipped payments in 6 different years due to economic and/or political pressures.

Hmmm. I wonder if my bank will allow me the same leeway when my next house payment is due on the 15th. I think I'll give 'em a call and say I've got some economic/political pressures on me right now, and that the payment ain't coming. Think that'll fly?

Thu May 11, 2006 12:18 am

KHoots wrote:Hmmm. I wonder if my bank will allow me the same leeway when my next house payment is due on the 15th. I think I'll give 'em a call and say I've got some economic/political pressures on me right now, and that the payment ain't coming.
Think that'll fly?

Ahh - but you don't have a 'special relationship' with your bank manager, do you ?

Thu May 11, 2006 1:47 am

Nah, you're right. Good point....

Thu May 11, 2006 8:59 am

ColinB wrote:
Rob wrote:We got it in 1950, to be repaid over the next 50 years.

Colin

How much was the loan?

Thu May 11, 2006 1:04 pm

Delboy wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Rob wrote:We got it in 1950, to be repaid over the next 50 years.

Colin

How much was the loan?

From the BBC site:

The UK took a loan for $586m (about £145m at 1945 exchange rates), and a further $3,750m line of credit (about £930m at 1945 exchange rates).

Whatever that means.