Off Topic Messages

The 2nd Most Famous Man in World History

Thu May 04, 2006 3:22 pm

The 2nd Most Famous Man in World History

"I don't mean this sacreligious, but Jesus Christ and Elvis Presley are the two single most known human beings in the history of the world."
Ray Walker, "The Jordanaires".

The interview is part of "The Gospel According to Elvis" that runs at 10pm Sunday night.

http://www.news2wkrn.com/religion/2006/ ... n_wor.html

Anyone seen this program?

Thu May 04, 2006 5:56 pm

His assertion is nonsensical.

Thu May 04, 2006 7:09 pm

:lol:

Ol' Bindy is back at work :!:

Thu May 04, 2006 10:37 pm

Well, it's one of those statements that can't be proved or disproved, isn't it ?

I guess Elvis could be the most famous person who lived in the 20th century.

Thu May 04, 2006 10:55 pm

Steve_M wrote:what is "most famous" ?
what do you use to measure such a thing, what is the tool or device to ascertain a persons level of famousness ?

One way would be to show pictures of the 'candidates' to people and ask if they could name them.

The problems are still manifold:

Who do you include as candidates ?

How do you select the people you ask ?

Which pic do you use ?

There can never be a definitive result.

Thu May 04, 2006 11:07 pm

Thanks for the article Jove :wink: .

Thu May 04, 2006 11:41 pm

It's official.

Ray Walker has reched the age of dementia.

Fri May 05, 2006 12:10 am

Well, outside of calling the dynamic duo of Elvis and Jesus the "single" most known human beings (as pointed out by Spelly), is he that far off?

In this age of celebrity and technology, knowledge of Elvis worldwide and across borders and even eras seems to rival everyone but the Man from Galilee...

The phneomenal impact of modern fame surely was part of John Lennon was talking about in reference to the Beatles and Jesus...

Fri May 05, 2006 12:32 am

If you are a heathen non believer like me, then Elvis wins the fame game by default of having existed.

Fri May 05, 2006 12:35 am

This story really happened:

In 2003 my wife & I were in Thailand.
We spoke to a Thai woman about the coming Rolling Stones concert in Bangkok.
She had no idea who they were and didn't know the name Mick Jagger.
Then I asked about the Beatles....she had never heard of them.
And then I said: "do you know Elvis Presley?"....
"Yeeees", she said, eeeeeverybody knows Elvis!!"

Fri May 05, 2006 12:46 am

That for me would have been the perfect opertunity to claim that in fact I WAS him, explaining my hideous looks away as cover for a new life. :D

Fri May 05, 2006 12:58 am

Eddie wrote:If you are a heathen non believer like me, then Elvis wins the fame game by default of having existed.

Even among non-believers, it's a probably a scant minority of historians who feel the historical Jesus didn't exist at all.

Them..and Eddie in Scotland. :lol:

Fri May 05, 2006 3:05 am

For the believers, Jesus is both man and God. :lol:

Fri May 05, 2006 8:11 am

"Even among non-believers, a probably a scant minority of historians who feel the historical Jesus didn't exist at all."

....it aint no big thing, but its growing. :lol:

just kidding, before lightning strikes me down, I concede he probably did exist...but there is simply no room in my mind for gods and such nonsense and therin lies the problem, his book is popular though.

Fri May 05, 2006 8:53 am

Well, at our local school here where I live in Norway, children down do the age of 6, still react to the name Elvis as someone who is really famous!! My seven year old son has a Elvis calendar and a movie poster from Jailhouse Rock on the walls in his room!!?? Along with Spider Man and all the other stuff that kids like today!

Fri May 05, 2006 11:10 am

Steve_M wrote:It's popular now Eddie, but at the time it was a slow mover and he never did write another one. :lol:

He didn't even write that first one !

Fri May 05, 2006 3:12 pm

Steve_M wrote:Human Being ? maybe man, but with people like our Queen in the running i'm not so sure

Sadly, there are far too many Americans who cannot correctly identify our President and Vice President. To expect these people to know the Queen is asking far too much. They would probably know Queen before they'd know THE Queen.

Fri May 05, 2006 3:20 pm

I always assumed burn out after his first epic...now Im hearing it was a ghost writer anyway?? What gives, we must be due a sequel! Im sure theres a good movie in there somewhere.

Fri May 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Sometime around 1961 the Queen wanted Elvis to appear sometime on one of the variety performances like the Beatles once did,she was turned down.

The king don't appear before the Queen.

Elvis lived what John preached.

John Lennon preached love yet didnt show any to his own flesh and blood first born son ,disowning him in his crucial early years.

John Lennon preached about "No Posessions" yet had a whole floor of his New York appt air conditioned and set aside just for his Fur coats.

John Lennon preached that he wouldnt bow before the Queen yet he not only bowed he accepted a knighthood and even appeared on the Royal Variety show(what an @sslicker)

Like i said he was BS Elvis was the reaql deal.
footnote.

Later....in 1981 Banned The "King and Queen" aka (Elvisly Yours No. 2 Magazine-Elvis and the Queen pictured cheek to cheek on the front cover) was banned in Britain.

Fri May 05, 2006 6:04 pm

GERRY wrote:John Lennon preached that he wouldnt bow before the Queen yet he not only bowed he accepted a knighthood....

Paul MacCartney, surely ?

Fri May 05, 2006 6:27 pm

GERRY wrote:.......................

John Lennon preached that he wouldnt bow before the Queen yet he not only bowed he accepted a knighthood and even appeared on the Royal Variety show(what an @sslicker)

Maybe he was just trying to get a look at the royal hedgerow.

Fri May 05, 2006 6:46 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Maybe he was just trying to get a look at the royal hedgerow.

Maybe.

But that must have been when he accepted his OBE.

Lennon was never knighted [nor Ringo or George, either].

Fri May 05, 2006 6:52 pm

Colin -
Somehow 'Sir Ringo' just doesn't work for me.

Fri May 05, 2006 6:55 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Colin -
Somehow 'Sir Ringo' just doesn't work for me.

'Sir Paul' sticks in my craw.

Fri May 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Given the exalted status of the Beatles they would've gone for Saint Paul if it wasn't already taken! :)