Off Topic Messages

Never buy stamps again!

Thu May 04, 2006 3:24 am

From USAToday:

Would you buy a 'forever' stamp?

The United States Postal Service is proposing a new hike next year in the price of stamps -- from 39 cents to 42 cents -- and the possibility of a "forever" stamp that people could buy for one price and use even after future hikes.

Read the Postal Service press release on the proposal. It doesn't suggest a price for the "forever" option. What would you pay for such a stamp? As e-mail, instant messaging and other online communication methods continue their rise, would you buy a "forever" stamp at all?

And consider maybe the most fun aspect -- the picture. If you're going to buy stamps and keep them for the rest of your life, who or what do you want to see on those stamps?

The interesting thing about the article was the photo that went with it:

Tom

Thu May 04, 2006 3:35 am

I'd only buy it if it also came with the option for this picture...

Thu May 04, 2006 4:42 am

The US Post Office claims that the high gas prices is the reason for the stamp price increase.

They say that with every penny that the gas price goes up,
it costs the Post Office $8M more to spend on fuel !!!!!

Thu May 04, 2006 6:52 am

And without the postal service how would we get those packages? they may go up in postage,but just think of what you get,packages that come to your door from all over the world, and yes if i could choose a stamp it would be the aloha design!

Thu May 04, 2006 9:43 am

I think we already have the 'forever' stamp in the UK.

If you buy a book of stamps they don't have a value, just say '1st Class' or '2nd Class' on them and the price is the current one.

They can be used whatever the actual price of those services goes up to.