Off Topic Messages

Gerry Rafferty

Thu May 04, 2006 12:06 am

Any Gerry Rafferty fans out there? I recently rediscovered a compilation CD of that guy and remembered how many great songs he had over the years. Even in his heyday, I never heard anything about him, and was curious to know if anyone else here has anything to say about this fine artist.

Thu May 04, 2006 3:40 am

Hey Steve, that's just fine that you mentioned that. I asked if anyone has anything to say! Ironically, not one minute after I typed my original post, I walked into the studio of our oldies radio station and what song comes on? (No, not "Suspicious Minds") "Baker Street."

Thu May 04, 2006 9:03 am

lol for a moment, i thought the title of the thread was Ger Rijff's real name

Thu May 04, 2006 2:36 pm

If I ever hear Baker Street again, it will be too soon. They played that song to death when it first came out and now I cringe every time I hear it.

Tom

P.S. Scott, it's a good thing you live over there because what you're doing to that mic is illegal in 24 states here. :wink:

Fri May 05, 2006 9:43 am

i hope you're not thinking what i'm thinking :oops: :lol:

Fri May 05, 2006 11:03 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:If I ever hear Baker Street again, it will be too soon.

Trouble is, if you take that hit away from him, there isn't much left !

Fri May 05, 2006 3:03 pm

"Hit-wise," you're right, Colin. But he has a pretty solid catalog of songs.

Fri May 05, 2006 3:29 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:If I ever hear Baker Street again, it will be too soon. They played that song to death when it first came out and now I cringe every time I hear it.

Tom

P.S. Scott, it's a good thing you live over there because what you're doing to that mic is illegal in 24 states here. :wink:

Tom, you're too frickin funny! :lol: As far as that songs goes, I liked it when it first came out, but they burned it for me with overkill as well on the radio.

Fri May 05, 2006 5:38 pm

"Stuck In The Middle With You" was a good song, when Gerry Rafferty was in "Stealers Wheel".

I think he was also in a folky type band at one pont with Billy Connolly, they fell out, and became enemies for quite some time.

Fri May 05, 2006 7:35 pm

Have heard the song "Stuck In The Middle With You". I recently discovered the music catalog of Dwight Yoakam, not that it matters, I am just saying...

Sat May 06, 2006 10:33 am

yes gerry had some great songs there have been a few cover versions but the best one i have heard is keith urbans version of stuck in the middle with you.gerry was a great performer and song writer but he is a scot so he must be good lol.

Sat May 13, 2006 4:17 pm

Stuck In The Middle With You was actualy inspired by his time with Billy Connolly.