Off Topic Messages

Mon May 08, 2006 12:00 am

Sean Ryan wrote:This prompted the editorial below written by a UK citizen. Published in a British tabloid newspaper.

[Emphasis mine]

Says it all, really.

Having "Merry Christmas" signs up at the appropriate time is one thing. Having slogans like "In God We Trust" up in a classroom, a learning environment, is quite another.

The article is founded on specious ground:

Sean Ryan wrote:This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great British freedom, "THE RIGHT TO LEAVE".

The author has made the quite erroneous, yet all too common, assumption that political correctness is a result of minorities themselves kicking up a stink: it isn't. More often than not, it's a result of white people overreacting, which in turn causes other white people to overreact (how much do you want to bet that the author here isn't white? -- you'll lose). And what's all this "our" business? A white male Christian no more owns Britain than a female Indian Muslim does. Poor rhetoric indeed. This isn't far from the reasoning of the BNP, sadly, even though the author makes some points.

(On a purely aesthetic level, using profanity in a political diatribe isn't smart or reasonable, either).

Mon May 08, 2006 1:13 am

You couldnt have said it any better.

Although the article does bring up some good points it also shows the ignorance of the person who wrote it and how he feels about all ethnic groups.Sadly, alot of people will have read this in the paper(proberly The Sun) and its the sort of thing that would have convinced them to vote for the BNP.

Its certain Councils that incite hatred by wanting to ban Christmas and the St.George's flag.

Mon May 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:Colin,
You seem very unaware of the situation in this country towards immigrants.
Why is it that so many of them want to come to Britain??
Cause its a soft touch.

Well, let's look at some figures:

The total number of applications for asylum in the UK was the lowest [in 2005] since 1994.

Applications for asylum per 1,000 head of population - 1990-2003:

Switzerland: 51.3

Germany: 26.3

Ireland: 15.2

Britain: 14.4

France: 8.1

Kinda puts things into perspective, doesn't it ?

For me, statistics like this speak more than all the anecdotal stuff like 'Oh, they're jumping the housing queue' etc.

Mon May 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Now are you gonna give the real figures of how many illegal immigrants have come into this country??

Mon May 08, 2006 8:59 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:Now are you gonna give the real figures of how many illegal immigrants have come into this country??

Well, I've quoted statistics to support my case.

Everyone is free to do the same.

Mon May 08, 2006 9:06 pm

Well i would like to give out an exact figure on how many illegal immigrants are in Britain but the Labour Party have let so many in ,some of whom have commited murder and rape, that the true figure will never be known.

Mon May 08, 2006 10:40 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:Well i would like to give out an exact figure on how many illegal immigrants are in Britain but the Labour Party have let so many in ,some of whom have commited murder and rape, that the true figure will never be known.

...And they are still flooding in