Off Topic Messages

Local Elections in the UK.

Wed May 03, 2006 9:50 pm

Tomorrow there are local elections in the UK.

For those of you who are gonna vote, lets tell this current government what we think of them by voting against them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Im sure Colin will have something to say about this topic. :wink:

Re: Local Elections in the UK.

Wed May 03, 2006 9:56 pm

[quote="Sean Ryan"]For those of you who are gonna vote, lets tell this current government what we think of them by voting against them.
quote]

Here, here!

But, really, they're all as bad as each other.

Still, anything's got to be better than Bliar (sic) and the assortment of arsewipes, wasters, dirty old men and buffons that form out incumbent government.

Let's hope they get a kick up the jacksey and we say goodbye to Prescott

Wed May 03, 2006 11:41 pm

I think the last thing that labour want at the moment is a local election.

Should be quite interesting how the voting goes and how many people turn out to vote.

I dont care if the party is Labour,Tory, Lib Dem or whatever.All i ,and most of the country, is a party that is gonna do whats best for this country.Sadly, i dont think we will ever see that.They all seem to argue upon argue in the house of commons but nothing seems to get achieved from it.

I really hate this current government though. :twisted:

Thu May 04, 2006 12:20 am

While the labour government has been disappointing i think the lib dems are a waste of time and i hate tories. I'll be voting labour tomorrow as a protest vote anyway as the current lib dem councillors are a waste of time.

I still believe the rank and file labour party members are decent - even if their leadership has sold out. Bring on Gordon Brown I say!!!

Andrew

Thu May 04, 2006 12:21 am

Labour will lose a large number of seats and the pressure will mount on Blair to go. There's pretty much been a three-year hate campaign by parts of the media and parts of his own party, so I'm surprised he's survived this long.

Thu May 04, 2006 1:10 am

Sean Ryan wrote:Im sure Colin will have something to say about this topic. :wink:

Not a lot.

There is no election in my town.

Thu May 04, 2006 10:03 am

It will be interesting to see the gains made by BNP. What irks me is Cameron. His slogan is 'Vote Blue Go Green'. :shock: The environment is an issue but at this precise moment in time how many Brits give a toss about it when crime is out of control, the NHS is on it's knees (best year ever?? Try that line when you're in an NHS hospital :evil: ) and immigration 'policy' has been shown for the sham that it is.

Cameron rides to work on his bike for the cameras followed by his driver in a Lexus with his brogues and briefcase. Hypocritical w*nker! :twisted:

Thu May 04, 2006 9:54 pm

Delboy wrote:It will be interesting to see the gains made by BNP. What irks me is Cameron. His slogan is 'Vote Blue Go Green'

You've hit on something interesting there.

Yes, people are fed up with the government.

Partly due to Tony Blair & crew, and partly due to the way the media present things [but that's another story].

But they don't much fancy the other main parties, either !

Some smaller groups like the BNP are taking advantage of this.

Voters who go for BNP don't fully realise the evil that party represents.

The results will be fascinating !

My prediction is that whatever the outcome of these local elections, Gordon Brown will lead the Labour Party [Clarke-free & Prescott-free] to a fourth term at the next general election.

Thu May 04, 2006 10:16 pm

Steve_M wrote:how come they managed to supress the rate of inflation figures ? anyone hear what that was the past month ? seems to have been unreported.

In April the March figure was reported at 1.78%.

It is expected to rise to 2.2% in the fourth quarter of 2006.

Bit better than when the Tories were in !

Thu May 04, 2006 10:32 pm

Steve_M wrote:I gave them March as many wouldn't ahve had the full impact but not now we are in May.

The April figure will be published this month.

I don't think the government can fiddle these things.

Anyway, it's the December figure we want to be sky high !

Thu May 04, 2006 10:45 pm

Steve_M wrote:I'm not sure how much jest there is in that one Colin.

Jest ?

Moi ?

Remember, the inflation figure is a reflection of prices today compared with one year ago.

The year-old figures may include things that have dropped in price and so partly balance out the things you list which we know have gone up.

Or something which went up by a huge amount 12 months ago, will work its way out of the system and lower the figure.

And there is a standard list of items which they reckon are commonly bought [it doesn't cover everything].

So the screws you mentioned might be outside the remit.

Fri May 05, 2006 9:49 am

Results as expected. Major gains for the Tories with Labour limping in 3rd on the overall vote. BNP did better than even they expected. A wake up call? We'll see.

Fri May 05, 2006 10:59 am

Delboy wrote:Results as expected. Major gains for the Tories with Labour limping in 3rd on the overall vote.
BNP did better than even they expected. A wake up call? We'll see.

No major surprises, then.

These results will have no bearing on a general election result with a new, Blair-free Labour Government on offer.

Fri May 05, 2006 11:39 am

It's getting increasingly worrying with respect to the BNP. They must not be allowed to gain a stronghold. Do people really want the next Adolf Hitler or Darth Sidious? Because that's what they're asking for. It sends a chill down my spine.

Fri May 05, 2006 11:43 am

Cryogenic wrote:It's getting increasingly worrying with respect to the BNP. They must not be allowed to gain a stronghold. Do people really want the next Adolf Hitler or Darth Sidious? Because that's what they're asking for. It sends a chill down my spine.

The votes they are getting are mostly protest ones.

People will quickly see what they've voted for - and switch.

Fri May 05, 2006 12:47 pm

Well Charles Clarke (Home Secretary) has been axed in the reshuffle. A rare bit of decisive decision making from Blair.

Regarding the BNP. Protest votes they may be, but the more votes and seats they gain there is the chance the skinhead fascist element and image is diluted and they gain a foothold. If it happens the main parties have no one to blame but themselves.

Fri May 05, 2006 3:05 pm

Delboy wrote:Regarding the BNP.
Protest votes they may be, but the more votes and seats they gain there is the chance the skinhead fascist element and image is diluted and they gain a foothold.
If it happens the main parties have no one to blame but themselves.

These fringe groups often do quite well at by-elections and in local elections.

Come the general election the voters will go back to the main parties.

Fri May 05, 2006 3:25 pm

Delboy wrote:Well Charles Clarke (Home Secretary) has been axed in the reshuffle. A rare bit of decisive decision making from Blair.

I'd argue the opposite. It's his singleminded, decisive style that's the root cause of his dip in popularity. That can be applied to his decisions on Iraq, foundation hospitals, student fees and the education reforms. Blair does not shy away from tough decisions and rarely backtracks. Those who support the measures will consider that a good thing and those who don't are out to destroy him.

Fri May 05, 2006 4:32 pm

Gents, what exactly is a Tory? What is their ideology?

Fri May 05, 2006 4:57 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Gents, what exactly is a Tory? What is their ideology?

To the victor goes the spoils.

The Devil take the hindmost.

Look after the strong, the weak can take their chances.

It's the posh folks party.

The moneyed classes, the bosses.

The upperclass chinless twits party.

The huntin', shootin' set.

The party of the privileged, land-owning toffs with their private schools and private healthcare.

If the queen could vote, she'd vote tory.

Fri May 05, 2006 5:27 pm

ColinB wrote:
Sean Ryan wrote:Im sure Colin will have something to say about this topic. :wink:

Not a lot.

There is no election in my town.

Colin, you have my vote! :lol:

Fri May 05, 2006 5:34 pm

ColinB wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Gents, what exactly is a Tory? What is their ideology?

To the victor goes the spoils.

The Devil take the hindmost.

Look after the strong, the weak can take their chances.

It's the posh folks party.

The moneyed classes, the bosses.

The upperclass chinless twits party.

The huntin', shootin' set.

The party of the privileged, land-owning toffs with their private schools and private healthcare.

If the queen could vote, she'd vote tory.

I get the picture Colin. They're British republicans! :)

Sat May 06, 2006 12:43 am

Cryogenic wrote:It's getting increasingly worrying with respect to the BNP. They must not be allowed to gain a stronghold. Do people really want the next Adolf Hitler or Darth Sidious? Because that's what they're asking for. It sends a chill down my spine.

I don't think a lot of them are protest votes, round my area people are seeing immigrants coming here and getting free housing and benefits without waiting whilst people born and bred in this country get shoved further and further down the queue and they are getting fed up, I know several retired people who voted BNP not because they are racist but becuae they are so pissed off about the way they've been treated by Labour, I'v e voted Labour all my life but never again, nobody got my vote this time because none of them deserved it.

Sat May 06, 2006 12:47 am

Thats right.

If you want to blame anyone for so many people voting for the BNP.Blame the Labour Party.

Sat May 06, 2006 5:42 am

Sean Ryan wrote:Thats right.

If you want to blame anyone for so many people voting for the BNP.Blame the Labour Party.

No, because that's a cop out. Anyone who votes for the BNP is either racist or stupid. It's impossible to justify a vote for those thugs. That's not to say I'm not also dubious at the way some local authorities house new immigrants, but a vote for those hateful bastards is not the answer.