Off Topic Messages

2 miners have been rescued after 2 WEEKS!! JUBILATION!!!!!!!

Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 am

I live in Australia, in a small island state called Tasmania. 2 men from Beaconsfield will have a GREAT story to tell when they are released from their trapping

On Tuesday, 3 miners got trapped in a mine almost 1 kilometre underground, after a earthquake measuring almost 3 on the Richter scale rocked Beaconsfield (and believe me, in Tasmania, it is EXTREMELY rare for earthquakes). Rock exploded and trapped 3 miners in the above conditions. Unfortunately one miners body was found while the rescue was under way on Thursday. Believe me, except for the families, we were just about to give up hope. There seemed little chance that the recovery would turn back to rescue.........

But, they're alive! 7:30 last night on Sunday, the miracle happened! The remaining 2 men were alive and well, they had been kept in a cage no bigger than approximately 2 by 2 metres in length and height. As i type this, the rescue to free these men is under way, and the fantastic Beaconsfield Mining crew has made EVERY effort possible to make sure they are looked after and safe for the journey back above

what an uplifting story this is!
Last edited by Scott Haigh 781990EP on Tue May 09, 2006 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 01, 2006 6:58 pm

Thanks for sharing that story Scott. Happy to hear that it had a happy ending. To much tragedy in the world .. I am sure there were some pretty happy people there. Dovey :)

Tue May 02, 2006 3:11 am

Thanks for posting the story Scott, glad to hear they are ok.

Tue May 02, 2006 12:12 pm

BUT, i must say this: it is not over yet. There was a report, that while drilling a hole to get necessitive supplies such as food and drink, it stirred up a lot of dust, and they were without oxygen for a moment. They are not out of the woods yet. I feel, their families and the community of Beaconsfield, has celebrated too soon and if they die, which i hope not, it will be more heartbreaking than if they had'nt have celebrated so wildly. I am praying that these great men, will see their families again, because i saw the joy on their faces on TV of the news, and believe me, those same faces will tear me apart if these 2 miners die

Tue May 02, 2006 12:21 pm

BTW, i would like Australians who have been following the story to tell me their reaction on hearing this miracle. i'll tell you mine

I have been following this story since it started, and after the body of the other miner was recovered, i, and my family, were believing this rescue was going to have to turn in to a recovery of bodies. But then at 7:30pm, my pop rang up to say that they had seen a scroll go across the ABC channel to say that they were alive. I thought that he had heard that the reporters said some thing like 'they were still hoping to find them alive', and my pop had gotten excied over mishearing it. But then i flicked through channels, and breaking news came in with unconfirmed reports they were alive. Finally at 8 o clock, i turned to my pay per view news channel Sky, and they had an interview with the church minister, and when she did say they were aliive, i refused to believe it. It seemed IMPOSSIBLE. But i stayed up till 1 at night to get more info. I've never been so enthusiastic about a news report

Tue May 02, 2006 1:34 pm

i wouldn't expect them out b4 the weekend...... but if they do the book,movie and newspapers should be able to make sure they don't have to mine again.... i just loved it when they said one of the miners had asked for a saturday paper....so he could look for another job. I visited this mine (top only) in 2005. the mine can afford to close the human risk just isn't worth those profits.Besides it's closed plenty of times before. and 1km down starts to get deadly serious. hope they get out anyhow... they should do now they have light,clothing water food and hope.

Wed May 03, 2006 9:05 am

i agree with your comments 100%

what was your reaction to their incredible survival?

Thu May 04, 2006 5:54 am

Trapped miners ask to walk out
Thursday May 4 12:00 AEST

Two Tasmanian miners trapped almost a kilometre underground for nine days have told rescuers they want to walk out of the gold mine.

An underground co-worker, who would not be named, said Todd Russell and Brant Webb did not want to be taken away from Beaconsfield Gold Mine on stretchers, and had told rescuers they wanted to walk when the reached the surface.

"They've made that request," he said.

"They will probably stretcher them up the decline and if they are in good enough condition, they'll probably let them walk out of the cage onto the surface.

"It's a pride thing," the colleague said about the men's desire to walk out of the mine.

"They've been told how much media's been going on up here.

"One of the miners made a joke to them the other day that they'll make a movie out of it - he said Russell Crowe will play Todd - and that really cracked them up."

He said the evacuation would probably take 12 hours on top of the time needed to tunnel towards the men, and predicted the men might not be on the surface until Sunday.

The man also revealed the trapped pair have a second camera trained on them at all times.

He said a video camera had been passed through the 90-millimetre PVC pipe to the men, and hooked up to a TV monitor that underground medical staff could watch.

"They feel like they are on Big Brother," he said.

Steady rescue progress

The high-tech raised borer drilling machine has cut a 2cm hole through half of the 16m of rock separating the rescuers from Todd Russell, 34, and Brant Webb, 37, 925m underground in the Beaconsfield Gold Mine near Launceston.

The tunnel is now four metres longer than first planned, following new information from Mr Russell and Mr Webb, who have been providing the rescuers with photographs of the area they are in via a digital camera.

"The rescue tunnel when it first started - when we weren't even sure they were alive - that was going in a certain direction," AWU national secretary Bill Shorten told Today.

"But because the blokes have been able to explain and take photos, they've realigned it. It's got slightly longer to go, but it'll go exactly where the men are which is the ideal outcome."

The drilling machine is continuing its work and is expected later today to begin cutting a one-metre hole.

As the work progresses, it is expected a "Super Sucker" giant vacuum cleaner will be moved in to take away the tailings from the drilled rock.

Mr Shorten said progress so far was good.

"I know perhaps it's been slow to people, but not here. It's good progress," Mr Shorten told reporters at the mine.

"The short summary is they have got about half way through their pilot hole."

Media frenzy 'sparks cash war'

Rescue working to free the two trapped Beaconsfield miners are reportedly having their bags searched by mine management after reports of cash bribes being offered by interstate media outlets to take cameras down the shaft.

"The bag searches are not out of line. Management's doing the right thing," a mine official was quoted as saying in The Australian.

"They are scared because there are cash bribes being offered around to take cameras down."

Security officers are inspecting the rescuers' bags at the mine entrance before allowing them to start work on the drilling mission that could free Todd Russell and Brant Webb free in the next 48 hours.

Miners and Beaconsfield residents have criticised the searches, saying they are disrespectful and demeaning.

A former union delegate John Madin, 64, of Beaconsfield, said the bag searches amounted to harassment.

"(The rescuers) are not being treated with the respect and dignity they deserve. All it does is create a feeling of mistrust," he was reported as telling the paper.

The security checks at the mine clearly point to the 'cash' war that has emerged amongst rival media organisations who are bidding for exclusive rights to the men's survival story.

Just how much will their story be worth? Media sources say their epic tale has already attracted a combination of magazine, television, book and movie deal worth around $2million to the miners, The Australian reported.

Thu May 04, 2006 8:52 am

yes Carolyn i agree. I ahve been to Beaconsfield a few times, and it is like my town, very peaceful, quiet community. But the amount of media i seen surrounding the 2 families is abuzz like the traffic of Sydney

BTW, Sam, thanks so much for that article

Thu May 04, 2006 11:00 pm

Thanks Sam for that article

Fri May 05, 2006 9:33 am

Rock star offers beer to trapped miners
Friday May 5 16:05 AEST
The lead singer of US grunge band the Foo Fighters has delivered a message of support to Tasmania's two trapped miners.

Foo Fighters singer Dave Grohl has invited miners Brant Webb, 37, and Todd Russell, 34, to join him in a beer "anywhere, anytime" once they are rescued from the Beaconsfield Gold Mine.

Trapped one kilometre underground, the pair were supplied with iPods to help pass the time while rescuers tunnel towards them.

While Mr Russell chose country music for his player, Mr Webb requested two Foo Fighter albums.

News of the request got back to Grohl, whose message was delivered to Mr Webb and Mr Russell by Beaconsfield mine manager Matthew Gill.

"I had a message from Dave Grohl," Mr Gill said.

"I passed on his message to Brant and Todd.

"I read it to them and they were both stoked by that.

"It was basically, 'Thinking of you and anywhere, anytime to catch up with two cold beers'."

Mr Gill said Grohl was keen to know whether he had a deal with the miners.

"And I can tell Dave that those two say 'It's a deal'."

Meanwhile a fan of the Foo Fighters has suggested a benefit concert for the town of Beaconsfield.

"What I would like to propose to Dave and the guys is a charity gig in Beaconsfield, Tasmania following a reasonable time for grieving by the town," the fan, identified only as longtimefanfirsttimeposter, wrote on the website foofighters.com.

"This would give Tasmanians a chance to see a world class rock and roll act that may otherwise not visit the shores of Tasmania."

The fan suggested the concert be televised live with advertising and ticket sales revenue going to the dead miner's family and the community.

Sat May 06, 2006 5:38 am

Sam, thanks for that aricle once again

woo hoo, only 3 more metres to go and they're out! party time Australia, geez i can't imagine Beaconsfield :D

Tue May 09, 2006 5:21 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I think that sums it up. They're out! At 6 o clock this morning, Todd Russell and Brant Webb were freed from the mine, and returned to the surface after an incredible 2 WEEKS in a small cage a kilometre under ground. My Dad yelled to my Mum, ''they're out!', and i woke up, and even though my eyes were very blurry, i had to get out and see the moment. It was totally surreal. A crowd of hundreds including family, friends, and the fellow mine workers who worked so tirelessly to get them out, greeted them with an explosive cheer, and a heroes welcome. The mine bell rang furiously for the celebration. The first thing, funnily enough that they did, was take off their tags to end the longest shift in mining history. The most noticeable thing was: they WALKED OUT UNSUPPORTED.

Both the men's wives ran in to their arms, hugging them as if to never let go. A huge crowd gathered around the 2 men, who were walking around shaking hands and hugging many many people. The men had an ambulance waiting for each of them, but in the incredibly good spirits they were in, you never would've thought they'd need them. Both of them sat up strapped to the ambulance stretcher in the back, with the doors wide open for them to point and wave to their various supporters. The energy level was incredible, as they drove out of the Beaconsfield mine through a guard of honour, with people wildly cheering

They then made the drive to the Launceston hospital, and even then, their energy level was still very high. They had a medical check up, and apart from cuts and bruises, they are fine. Brant Webb has discharged himself from hospital, but Todd was still there: feasting on steak, eggs, and chips as he requested. The sad part is that the 3rd miner Larry Knight, is having his funeral held today, at the same day the miners get out. The family had hoped to wait until the miners were out, but they could not wait longer. But just so coincidentally, the miners have got out, and in the first day back to civilisation, they are going to attend the funeral. A great gesture

The absolute climax of this 2 week wait has finally come, and the end of an era come with it. The last 2 weeks have been an emotional roller coaster, as the mine manager himself said. This day is one of the greatest days of my life, so great my mum has called the family off of work and school. It makes me extremely proud to be Australian, and Tasmanian. Long live this day! May 9, 2006

Fellow Australians, I would like to hear your reactions 8)

Tue May 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Hi Scott,

I am not from Australia but they had the miracle of the two miners on the news here in the States on TV with pictues of them and I though of you and knew that you would be happy. It is indeed a great day and a very happy one for Australian miners and the world. So very happy they made it out alive !!! Dovey