Off Topic Messages

RealPlayer - Any Alternatives?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:59 pm

Plea for help really.

There's a number of sites that specify Real Player as the thing to play downloaded movie clips and music files.

My question is having downloaded V.10 on four occasions now, it works for a couple of days and then decides it's encountered an error that needs to shut it down, and that's all she wrote.

Is it something I'm doing wrong and/or is there alternative softwear you good people could recommend that will play these files?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Geoff

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:06 pm

Sounds like a virus Geoff. Have you run anti-virus software?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:30 pm

I've had a similar experience but with Windows Media Player.

I start deleting video files commencing with the latest ones I've downloaded until the problem stops !

Seems occasionally there is a file which the system doesn't like !

Or more likely a file with something in it the system objects to !

It doesn't seem to be anything that the anti-virus picks up.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:01 pm

ColinB wrote:
Or more likely a file with something in it the system objects to !

Bloody perve :wink:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:20 pm

There's a codec called - hold on to your hats, folks - Real Alternative and it allows Windows Media Player Classic to play a number of Real files without having to install any version of Real Player.

I haven't used it in a number of months (I generally try to avoid Real files), so you may want to search around for a more recent version or perhaps - pardon the pun - an alternative. :oops:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:48 pm

TJ wrote:
ColinB wrote:Or more likely a file with something in it the system objects to !

Bloody perve :wink:

I'm doing some research as it happens !

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:40 pm

Thanks Guys!

Del, I use McAfee as my primary virus scan and once a week run Adaware & Spybot, so I'm relatively confident about virus protection.

Thanks Peter that's the sort of thing I was looking for.

Colin, I've deleted all my RM files and will start from scratch...BTW it was probably the, ahem, research that caused the problem in the first place :oops:

Geoff

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:16 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:...BTW it was probably the, ahem, research that caused the problem in the first place :oops:

Too much research can affect your eyesight !

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:03 pm

Im using VLC player for all multimedia files on pc,great stuff.
It even plays rar files that contains video image.
Use google to search for it