Off Topic Messages

Fill 'er up?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:34 am

I paid $2.88 per gallon today compared to $2.68 a week ago. As much as hated it, I know that some of you are paying even more. Luckily, I only live 20 minutes from work and usually can get by on one stop at the gas station a week.

How much are you paying for gas where you are?
Last edited by Rob on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:58 am

$2.97 at the Chevron today for a total of $37.80 for a 4 cyl. Honda CRV... :shock:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:47 am

carolynlm wrote:$1.25 AU per litre here...
I just did a quick calculation and it seems as though we are paying the equivalent of $4.19 US..approximately....outrageous....

$1.35/40 in this neck of the woods Carolyn. You Queenslanders get it good!!! :wink:

8)

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:00 am

carolynlm wrote:Sam, you can call me (almost) anything....but not a queenslander :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:15 am

$1.37.9 down in Tasmania

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:38 am

I don't have to go out to a gas station.

My gas is piped to my house from the gasworks.

A meter records my usage, and I'm billed later.

Much simpler !

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:48 am

$2.91 on Monday.............$39+ to fill up a Ford 6 cyl. pickup truck.

Fortunately..........the company credit card gets the squeeze :lol:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:55 am

ColinB wrote:I don't have to go out to a gas station.

My gas is piped to my house from the gasworks.

A meter records my usage, and I'm billed later.

Much simpler !

:smt046

Good one Colin :D

I dont drive but prices in the UK are approaching £1 a litre, so taking into account my hopless conversion skills, it works out about $7 US dollars a gallon, are you still complaining? :shock: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:52 am

Rusty Martin* wrote:...taking into account my hopless conversion skills, it works out about $7 US dollars a gallon, are you still complaining? :shock: :wink:

Did your 'hopeless conversion skills' use the UK gallon or the US one ?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:07 pm

Gas prices in Germany are almost at $7.50 per gallon. Gas taxes including eco initiated by the Green Party account for roughly two-thirds of that amount.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:54 pm

ColinB wrote:
Rusty Martin* wrote:...taking into account my hopless conversion skills, it works out about $7 US dollars a gallon, are you still complaining? :shock: :wink:

Did your 'hopeless conversion skills' use the UK gallon or the US one ?

The US one Colin :roll: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:54 pm

In Central Scotland it's 99.9p per litre for diesel and 96.9p per litre for unleaded petrol. :( :cry: :cry:

Re: Fill 'er up?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:07 pm

Rob wrote:I paid $2.88 per gallon today compared to $2.68 a week ago. As much as hated it, I know that some of you are paying even more. Luckily, I only live 20 minutes from work and usually can get by on one stop at the gas station a week.

For a Brit, those figures are just depressing :shock: :)

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:48 pm

I just did a quick calculation and it seems as though we are paying the equivalent of $4.19 US..approximately....outrageous....

In Canada we pay right now $1.12 a litre, which at 4.5 cents a litre works out to just under $5.00 a gallon, sheer robbery. The oil companies have everybody coming and going. When we hit a $1.00 a litre a few months ago, people were going crazy. Now the other day in some spots they raised the gas from $1.00 a litre to $1.13 in one day, people were lined up trying to fill up at the stations that were still at $1.00 before they raised their prices, thinking they were getting a bargain, even though a few weeks earlier there was an uproar because the gas was a $1.00 a litre.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:24 pm

2.85 a gallon in tennessee

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:30 pm

Joe Car wrote:

In Canada we pay right now $1.12 a litre, which at 4.5 cents a litre works out to just under $5.00 a gallon, sheer robbery. The oil companies have everybody coming and going. When we hit a $1.00 a litre a few months ago, people were going crazy. Now the other day in some spots they raised the gas from $1.00 a litre to $1.13 in one day, people were lined up trying to fill up at the stations that were still at $1.00 before they raised their prices, thinking they were getting a bargain, even though a few weeks earlier there was an uproar because the gas was a $1.00 a litre.

Joe, I agree that our Canadian gas prices are ridiculous.
However, on your conversion, don't forget that 1 US gallon = .84 Imperial gallons.
I agree with you that this time last year, we would've screamed at paying .80 cent/litre.
Don't we produce our own gas in Alberta?
Overtaxed and underpaid in Ontario.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:18 pm

I have an hour drive to work each way. $48.00 dollars to fill up every fourth day. We're all getting royally hosed at the pumps. Every time I fill up I'm tempted to let out a WEEEEEEEEEE, cause I'm feelin' like Ned Beatty bent over that friggin' log. Let's face it, that's what the big oil bastards are doing to us folks! What can we do to hit back?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:07 pm

While the BMW is fuel efficient, if possible I usually take the bike to cover short distances, run errands, because it is fun. Not that the oil sheiks would notice, they probably wouldn't even if 3,000,000 people would do so.

Clearly Americans pay a lot less for gas than just about any other industrialized nation. And seem to have to drive a great deal more than us Europeans. So a significant rise in the cost probably hits far harder.

Since OPEC was formed the West can no longer can control the quantity of oil pumped from that region and the artificial constricting of supply in order to drive up prices is what we're living with today. Our economic future lies in the hands of some very unstable and unfriendly folks.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:34 pm

These comparisons are made diffficult because we're on different systems.

Wouldn't it solve a lot if we all used the same ?

The UK has [more-or-less] adopted the mainland European metric system.

So how about it US ?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:39 pm

I'm starting to hear more about the corn-based fuel (I can't remember the name). Anybody have any information on this stuff? Seems to me this would be a great way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone: get off reliance on fossil fuels (and be able to flip the bird to corporate big oil and Arab shiek robber barons), and provide struggling farmers with a much-needed product to grow.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:46 pm

ColinB wrote:These comparisons are made diffficult because we're on different systems.

Wouldn't it solve a lot if we all used the same ?

The UK has [more-or-less] adopted the mainland European metric system.

So how about it US ?

Colin -
You mean to suggest - gulp! - Americans learn the metric system!
The only way that's gonna happen is if us U.S. males realize our schlong sizes sound more impressive in centimeters than inches!

How do I sign on. :oops:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:54 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I'm starting to hear more about the corn-based fuel (I can't remember the name). Anybody have any information on this stuff? Seems to me this would be a great way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone: get off reliance on fossil fuels (and be able to flip the bird to corporate big oil and Arab shiek robber barons), and provide struggling farmers with a much-needed product to grow.

You mean ethanol and there's no way in hell that it could be produced on the scale required to meet the fuel demand.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:08 pm

Why not T.J.? And shouldn't we at least be taking the first steps, regardless of how difficult, towards becoming less dependent on fossil fuels? Are there other options?

Re: Fill 'er up?

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:56 am

TJ wrote:
Rob wrote:I paid $2.88 per gallon today compared to $2.68 a week ago. As much as hated it, I know that some of you are paying even more. Luckily, I only live 20 minutes from work and usually can get by on one stop at the gas station a week.

For a Brit, those figures are just depressing

It was down to $2.83 tonight. Hang in there.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:10 am

British fuel prices are outrageous.

It always amuses me when Americans rant about their own vastly lower prices.

Just be thankful when there are people worse off than you.