Off Topic Messages

Bruce Springsteen: "The Seeger Sessions" released

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:24 am

Well, I been listenin' all day to this disc and it has exceeded my expectations.

Bruce jus goes from great to greater every time :!:

"We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions" arrives Tuesday, with a tour to follow (including a trip to New Orleans for the Jazz and Heritage Festival). Springsteen, still damp with perspiration from his rehearsal, sat backstage for a 40-minute interview with The Associated Press that covered his musical past, present and future.

The new album is Springsteen's most sonically surprising since the spare "Nebraska" in 1982. Springsteen compares its variety with his second album, "The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle," where the music veered from straight rock ("Rosalita") to jazz ("New York City Serenade") to oompah ("Wild Billy's Circus Story").

Leaning back on a couch, Springsteen said he was intent on getting out more music, including a group of songs already written for the E Street Band and a follow-up to "Tracks," his collection of unreleased studio cuts. He was working on the latter before deciding to do the new record.

"After a long time, you get a lot more secure about what you're doing," Springsteen said between sips from a bottle of water. "I spend much less time making decisions. Incredibly less.

"It used to be, like, there's a line in a song that I sang a certain way. I might mull it over for three days. Maybe longer, right? Now, you know, it's very different. I realize it's not necessary. You know your craft better."

"The Seeger Sessions" featured Springsteen making an album in record time. The rock hall of famer, who in the past went years between releases, did the new album in three days. The 13 songs, plus two bonus tracks, were recorded inside the living room of a farm house at Springsteen's New Jersey home — with the horn section playing in the hall.

There were no rehearsals, no arrangements, no overdubs. Springsteen wasn't even sure if the results would become an album.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:06 am

When this album was first announced my expectations weren't very high. I was expecting a somber affair but this is completely the opposite of that. It sure is a fun listen, the DVD is enjoyable and it went from something I thought I'd hear a few times and then put away to an album that will get many plays for a long time. Well done Bruce and band. It's ok to have a little side project between E Street albums (of which there will supposedly be one next year).

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:16 pm

It is a nice side project. It is very impassioned and fun playing. A much more enjoyable album than Devils And Dust.

For another outstanding new release, check out Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris' "All The Roadrunning."

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:45 pm

Bruce continues to impress, in a career that is in his 40th year, if you include his teenage stint in the Castiles, his very first band.

What a treasure! I can't wait to hear this new release.

DJC

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:00 pm

Check out the video of 'John Henry' on Amazon - awesome!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 41-5256746

Andrew

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Bruce continues to impress, in a career that is in his 40th year, if you include his teenage stint in the Castiles, his very first band.

What a treasure! I can't wait to hear this new release.

DJC

Doc, believe me, you will be impressed :!:

I also watched the DVD portion of the DualDisc and I loved it!

recording an actual "LIVE" recording with no arrangement or rehearsals to back it up. unheard of much these days...

spontaneity all the way...with a great final outcome. Enjoy :!:

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:01 pm

I love everything Bruce did in the 80s apart from Nebraska.
I played the new album 1 time and will never play it again.
Im not saying its bad,just not my cup of tea......

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:32 pm

As always Bruce delivers. I'm loving this album, it's as infectious as Hell. Try keeping your feet still, I dare you!!

a ''hootenanny'' riot!
Last edited by Johnny 99 on Sun May 07, 2006 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 01, 2006 7:27 am

KingElvis wrote:I love everything Bruce did in the 80s apart from Nebraska.
I played the new album 1 time and will never play it again.
Im not saying its bad,just not my cup of tea......

Disliking Nebraska should have been a clue as to whether you'd dig this new disc. In most people's minds, Nebraska may be among Bruce's three or four very best albums, ever. Which I handily agree with!

DJC

Sat May 06, 2006 5:52 am

I must like it...

I already have two CD copies of the Seeger Sessions

The US Dual Disc, and the US CD Jewel Case Promo.....not to mention the promo sew-on patch.....and Circuit City still ows me a lithograph (their shipment had not arrived, and I'm getting worried!)....

then again I have more than one copy of Nebraska on Cd, and LP too (Who remembers the Dutch gatefold LP?).........

.......considering professional help...........although, not if it cuts into my collectors budget.......
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sat May 06, 2006 9:32 pm

I think Bruce Springsteen really Rocks... I girl a know gives massages for a living... (she was friends with someone that worked in State College and they recommended her) so she went to State College when he performed there a year ago... she said he is really a great guy. (He gave her a $100 tip and tickets to his next performance there)

He still has it... He gives you your money's worth in music and does not even take a break ... other than to take a drink of water.. He rocks that stage and the people go wild... At his age... Awesome!! Dovey 8)

Sun May 07, 2006 2:25 am

this album really gets better with every listen

Mon May 08, 2006 5:54 pm

I think "Pay Me My Money Down" covers the cost of the CD/ DVD alone. A Class Act! :D