Off Topic Messages

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:12 am

Pete Dube wrote:Tom: Drinkin' with Nick Nolte? Has your liver ever forgiven you? :lol:

Pete,
Drinkin' with Nick doesn't mean drinkin' like Nick. It was a sight to see.

Tom

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:16 am

I agree with your assessment Pete. He's a limited talent but he's always willing to push himself to the very limits of his talent and in stuff like "Born on the Fourth of July" he's gotten results. Stuff like "Interview with the Vampire", "Magnolia" the Kubrick movie "Eyes Wide Shut" are very ambitious projects and Cruise's roles were in general very demanding. He deserves credit for even trying something like Vampire even if he doesn't (IMO) fully realize the role. In taking roles like those he's taken he's expanded the palette of the mainstream film strictly through his participation in the project as a box office name. Plus, movies like "Born on the Fourth of July" would have not been made without his participation.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:01 am

I remember the night of Princess Diana's death and he was one of the callers on CNN. He was really shaken and mad at the paparazzii etc... I like some of his movies.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:21 am

likethebike wrote:He deserves credit for even trying something like Vampire even if he doesn't (IMO) fully realize the role.

the people who whine about this are usually anne rice fans who took her side when she tried to derail the project when tom was cast, but then she had to apologize to him when she saw the final result.

she wanted rutger hauer. :shock: bleh.

now, indeed, the book is better than the film (as usual...but mostly due to time restraints and NOT the acting--though antonio banderas was the weakest in the cast).

and imo, tom cruise wipes the floor with stuart townsend when it comes to who portrayed the better lestat.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:32 am

I thought he was good but he could have been a little more menacing. I definitely thought he did better than Stuart Townshend.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:38 am

hmm...i thought he did a good job with the being menacing. when he's in the decay makeup at the piano giving his alligator speech--that was a good performance for tom.

favorite scene is definitely the one where claudia (kirsten dunst) slits his throat and you see him shrivel-up.

and of course lestat's tarentella dance with the corpse. that was classic. :lol:

my favorite character in the books is actually louis...and interview is the best of the series from what i've read (most of the first 4 books).

this is my favorite film for tom, brad and kirsten actually. i really liked it. but then again i also like the genre.

Re: In Defense of Tom Cruise

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:15 am

likethebike wrote:His views are by common consensus way weird. But lately he's got my sympathy. The reason is that people know he's a little off and yet they keep asking him about these hot button topics and they basically know the answers they're going to get.

Acting skills and success aside, what you're choosing to ignore is that Tom's profession requires he meet for interviews and publicity. He is in the spotlight by choice and if, in that position, he makes outrageous comments, I feel no sympathy whatsoever.

Frankly, Scientology fits every definition of a cult, and it's sad that so many celebrities like Cruise seem to seek safe harbor in its arms. Tom's proselytizing only makes it that much worse.

DJC

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:13 am

Well i don't mind Tommy's movies. Behind Harrison Ford, he is my fave actor. But when i read tha article in my newpaper about the placenta, i was seriously grossed out. for god's sake Tom! oh, and i forgot to mention that he said he'd eat the umbillical cord too :shock:

And his scientology thing, ok some people think its weird, but hey, he's entitled to his opinion (he's not entitled to the placenta though, ewwwwwww yuck!) .

But i will say his movies like the brilliant 'minority report', 'the last samurai', and the Mission Impossible movies are fantastic stuff to watch! He is a great actor, and during MI2, he done just about all of his own stunts. I can not wait for MI3, it looks VERY promising

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:50 am

Points conceded about Cruise's profession. However, it has to be admitted that these questions have little to do with Cruise's profession (not that reporters have to stick to his career but I don't care much about his views on say psychology) and it's not like he's forcing them to hear it. It's not as if they're saying "Hey, Tom let's talk Minority Report" and he's saying "Screw that, let's about psychiatrists."

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:27 am

Bike,I think it's odd to concede that Cruise's views are indeed offbeat (to put it mildly) but accept him as OK and defensible as long as those beliefs are not verbalized.

The fact is, HE is the one who raised his profile as a Scientologist........HE began referencing it with alarming frequency in interviews, HE is the one who sets up Scientology tents on the sets of his movies to proselytize the cast and crew, then proudly addresses that fact in interviews.

To excuse him because the press are the ones referencing the issue whenever he interviews is to ignore the fact that the press would never have done so had he not made such an ass of himself over the issue.

Has anyone seen the Barbara Walters damage-control interview he gave ??? He;s trying like hell to spin his public persona back to the pre-cult revelation days.

Good luck with that........the boy is forever tainted by his poor judgement. And so it should be.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:15 am

He's allowed to think what he wants to think. The late Marlon Brando makes Cruise look positively normal. One of the great things about the Western World is that you're allowed to a be a kook if you want to be. What's more Marlon Brando was the greatest actor anyone ever saw.

I wasn't aware that Cruise initially brought up the Scientology. Still, it doesn't seem fair game to keep harping on his weirdness.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:36 am

edit....
Last edited by Scatter on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:39 am

Scatter wrote:
likethebike wrote:He's allowed to think what he wants to think. The late Marlon Brando makes Cruise look positively normal. One of the great things about the Western World is that you're allowed to a be a kook if you want to be. What's more Marlon Brando was the greatest actor anyone ever saw.

I can't argue about that........Brando was really "out there".

Amazing actor though. I wonder from whence the wierdness sprang, and whether or not he was always that way???

I wasn't aware that Cruise initially brought up the Scientology. Still, it doesn't seem fair game to keep harping on his weirdness.

This is the press for you..........all that matters are money generating headlines. The destruction of the person (justly or unjustly) due to blatant character assassination is secondary.

I think we as Elvis fans understand that all too well.Maybe I'm oversensitive to it because of that.

But Cruise shoulders the lions share of the responsibility IMO.He could have deflected the questions......a witty response and dismissive wink of the eye could have gone a long way.

As it stands, he brought it upon himself and seems intent on travelling that road still.

I agree that everyone has the right to be a kook...........but no one has the right to complain about the backlash after they advertise their kookiness to the world.

Cruise should have left his image intact. He would still be the same kook......but he wouldn't have had to suffer the slings and arrows.

Wasn't his sister his PR rep at one point (when his image was still intact), and he fired her?? I'll have to look that up.........it seems the PR hits came mainly after that incident. Or perhaps the friction created by his urge to go higher profile with Scientology broke that relationship in the first place??

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:13 pm

JEFF d wrote:on my Outsiders poster

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the younger Rob Lowe in that film, because I only knew him from my favorite show The West Wing.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:22 pm

Melanie wrote:
JEFF d wrote:on my Outsiders poster

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the younger Rob Lowe in that film, because I only knew him from my favorite show The West Wing.

Well my dear.........if you will search the internet,I'm sure you can see Mr Lowe in an "independent" film shot in a motelroom with a couple of teenage girls.

Think "blue Samsonite suitcase"............. :lol:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:32 pm

Tom -

Yeah, well, I was out in the garden the other day when I saw the next-door-neighbour with his watering can.

"Bloody disgrace, this hosepipe ban !" says Elton John [for it was he].

"You can say that again !" chirps up Paul MacCartney from the other side.

Up popped Rod Stewart over the end-wall and says:

"I blame it all on climate change !"

Tom Jones [who was visiting] said nothing but sat thoughtfully twiddling with his medallion.

More next time !

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:39 pm

Tom Cruise???

I never cared for him and he is an idiot IMO. :lol:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:43 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Eddie wrote:He is however doing the very thing I said right now at the M.I.3 Premier in London, its been showing on one of the Sky News digital channels. Its been showing live for some time now

My point exactly. It's called publicity for a new movie. Who do you think is paying for the coverage??

Tom

Actually Tom, it's now become common practice for Cruise to do that over here, whether the 'walkabout' is televised or not. He shows up ridiculously early every time and spends a good two hours working the crowd in Leicester Square. I guess it's a lengthy ego boost that he enjoys.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Whatever his reasons, I think it refreshing to see by comparison with other actors at these Premieres. I choose not to be cynical about it and think maybe its because he is actualy okay.

Magnolia is one of my favourite movies in a long time, Cruise and Co acted their socks off in that masterpiece of film making.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:59 pm

Eddie wrote:Whatever his reasons, I think it refreshing to see by comparison with other actors at these Premieres. I choose not to be cynical about it and think maybe its because he is actualy okay.

That did come across as a bit harsh I suppose. I didn't mean that it isn't a nice thing for him to do. I think he's always been one for interacting with the fans though. I was present back in 1993 when he was having his hand and footprints done at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. He made a point of walking as far down Hollywood Blvd as security would permit, in order that every person got to see him up close. I recall him getting out the car about 50yds away and a couple of girls behind me saying "Ooooh isn't he short!" in a rather disappointed tone. A couple of minutes later when he was in front of us, they were screaming their heads off :lol:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:13 pm

Acting skills and success aside, what you're choosing to ignore is that Tom's profession requires he meet for interviews and publicity. He is in the spotlight by choice and if, in that position, he makes outrageous comments, I feel no sympathy whatsoever.

Frankly, Scientology fits every definition of a cult, and it's sad that so many celebrities like Cruise seem to seek safe harbor in its arms. Tom's proselytizing only makes it that much worse.

Well said Doc.

Points conceded about Cruise's profession. However, it has to be admitted that these questions have little to do with Cruise's profession (not that reporters have to stick to his career but I don't care much about his views on say psychology) and it's not like he's forcing them to hear it.

likethebike, that is today's journalism. It is largely based on sensationalism. That is the game. No one wants to hear Tom's egotistical comments about his grueling filming schedule on Minority Report. He has made his off-the-wall positions very clear and journalists feel the public is more interested in watching the Tom Cruise train continue to derail than to hear his feedback on his experience on the set.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:24 pm

I like alot of his movies that's all I know! He's an actor, they're all a bit strange if you ask me! No, he's not my fav actor, heck he's not even my fav Outsider :lol:, he's pretty good though! I didn't have any use for that War Of The Worlds rubbish but Minority Report was pretty decent sci-fi flick. Looking forward to MI:3 looks pretty good. :D

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:29 am

THE GOOD:

Tom Cruise is a talented movie star blessed with good looks, if not height, who has chosen his roles -- or had his roles chosen -- extremely well. His films are always enjoyable, his performances reliable, and in some cases, his films (see "Eyes Wide Shut") and his performances (see "Born on the Fourth of July"), are exemplary.

THE BAD:

Tom Cruise is a nutcase. First rate. Anyone who belongs to scientology -- much less advocates it at every turn -- has serious issues. It is a dangerous cult that exists solely for profit and uses coercion and intimidation to scare off detractors and those that try to leave and then kick up a fuss. It was founded by a hack of a Science Fiction writer, Ron Hubbard (the author of "Battlefield Earth", starring scientologist John Travolta), and claims to offer you vast cosmic secrets that will enhance your life and cleanse your soul (which happens to be nothing but an alien, by the way) -- all for ridiculous sums of money. Ron Hubbard was also a wife beater and a man known to suffer from mental problems. Celebrities are given special treatment and encouraged to stay to lend the cult the veneer of legitimacy. As if such people are more enlightened than the rest of us. Some celebrities, however, including the late Christopher Reeve and our late Elvis, attended sessions and saw right through the charade.

I actually had someone from scientology approach me on the street a while back. They wanted to know if I was interested in joining. I politely declined. Then, a month or so later, the same person approached me again. Now, sure, they wouldn't remember me, but I was walking into a restaurant as it occurred, and found it extremely rude -- so I told them to **** off.

People need to get a grip and wise up. I think it says a lot if Elvis came out from a scientology session f-ing and blinding. He knew they were after his money according to Memphis Mafia members that waited in the car. Yet Elvis believed in a lot of pseudoscientific nonsense. Clearly, even he had his limits. It seems that couch-jumping, Holmes-canoodling, post-natal-depression-denying Cruse does not.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:17 pm

As the great Stewart Granger once said back in the eighties, "In my day, all leading men were tall, at least six foot, these days there all midgets!"

Very wise words, from probably the most talented, of all the "widows peaks".

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:56 pm

Ezzz wrote:As the great Stewart Granger once said back in the eighties, "In my day, all leading men were tall, at least six foot, these days there all midgets!"

Very wise words, from probably the most talented, of all the "widows peaks".

:) How tall is Cruise? I thought he was 5'8"-5'9". I don't consider that short. That's medium/average height. I'm pretty sure Nicholson, De Niro, Newman, Redford, Stallone are in the the 5'9"-5'10" range (Nicholson may even be a little shorter). Brando was 5'9"-5'10". As short actors go Pacino, Hoffman, Dreyfuss have certainly been successful leading men. Heck Alan Ladd was 5'4" - and he was Shane!

I had to take up for the short guys. I'm maybe 5'6".