Off Topic Messages

In Defense of Tom Cruise

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:59 am

It's become almost the fashion to beat up on Tom Cruise and his outrageous opinions on everything from baby care to psychology. His views are by common consensus way weird. But lately he's got my sympathy. The reason is that people know he's a little off and yet they keep asking him about these hot button topics and they basically know the answers they're going to get. It seems almost wrong to make him sport of him for it or worse go bananas condemning him for it. If he were imposing these viewpoints, I would have less sympathy but almost always they're asking.

If he breaks in over the airwaves with some kooky theory get on his back. Otherwise give the guy a break.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:12 pm

LTB,

As much as it pains me to do this I disagree with one of your posts. :D I can’t stand Tom Crooooz. He’s got one of those faces you just want to kick. :smt071 Also, you have to question the mental stability of any man who leaves the delectable Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman. :shock: Did he say he wanted to eat his baby’s placenta????? Well I’d gladly rub his face in it. :wink:

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:16 pm

a waste of thread.

Tom Cruise?

short. buckteeth. big nose. one long eyebrow.

stupid scientologist. puke!

likethebike,
you routinely waste your sympathies on some real weirdoes.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:16 pm

I have a theory that the guy is intentionally trying to sabotage his own career. He's gone from being one of the most popular and well thought of actors in Hollywood, to a raving lunatic in a matter of months. Yes, he might have held the same views before, but just lately he seems intent on sharing them with everyone. It's now common knowledge that he's weird. Before it wasn't. He can only blame himself for that. Who can sympathise with a guy who announces he's going to eat the placenta, when it's blatantly obvious what kind of publicity that will lead to? He's doing it on purpose.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:37 pm

What an idiot!

I never cared one way about him or another. After watching his little escapades with Oprah and Matt Lauer, I like him even less. Now, I wouldn't pay a dime to see any of his films. That guy is psycho.

You must really be bored today, LTB.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:16 pm

do like i do,, let the guy speak his mind and ignore him

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:18 pm

The weird thing is that when Tom and Nicole were married, they owned a beach house near ours and they were as nice and down to earth as anyone you'd meet. The press never knew they were there, so they could go out like normal people. He was often on the beach (though she rarely was...to fair skinned I guess) and would chat for as long as you wanted. He never seemed like he was nuts then. The only time that I got a hint of something below the surface was when he and I and my other neighbor, Nick Nolte, got into a conversation about politics and Tom went off on a tangent. After that, I was always very careful about what I said. Of course, they divorced about a year later and sold the house, so it wasn't a problem for long. To see him today, it seems like a completely different person.

Tom

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:42 pm

Is it really all that surprising that he's gotten a bit kooky? whether you like him or not Cruise has been arguably THE major male star for at least 20 years now. The human psyche simply cannot tolerate that level of adulation for that length of time without experiencing at least some 'stress cracks' so to speak. We Elvis fans should recognize this, and be at least somewhat sympathetic.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:03 pm

I agree Pete.

---

He used to be so protective with regards to his children and the media attention they received. There are more pictures of him with his children since Kate, than the entire time with Nicole Kidman. What happened?

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:13 pm

Pete Dube wrote:We Elvis fans should recognize this, and be at least somewhat sympathetic.

yeah but --- I've always liked Elvis. (Never liked Cruise)

That Katie Holmes has to be dingyiest airheaded starry-eyed star-struck concubine in celeb history.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:02 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:The weird thing is that when Tom and Nicole were married, they owned a beach house near ours and they were as nice and down to earth as anyone you'd meet. The press never knew they were there, so they could go out like normal people. He was often on the beach (though she rarely was...to fair skinned I guess) and would chat for as long as you wanted. He never seemed like he was nuts then. The only time that I got a hint of something below the surface was when he and I and my other neighbor, Nick Nolte, got into a conversation about politics and Tom went off on a tangent. After that, I was always very careful about what I said. Of course, they divorced about a year later and sold the house, so it wasn't a problem for long. To see him today, it seems like a completely different person.

Tom

Just curious Tom, what sort of politics did you discuss to set him off?

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:14 pm

Personally I quite like the guy, any time Ive seen him interviewed he came across as genuine. At his premieres he always takes the few hours needed to meet anyone in the crowd, sign autographs and have his picture taken with whoever wants it. Many lesser stars could learn something there. I also think he is one of the most under-rated actors in America.

that said, I havent met him so my view is limited.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Trevell wrote:Just curious Tom, what sort of politics did you discuss to set him off?

To be honest, I don't recall exactly. It was late afternoon and Nick and I had had a few. I do remember that we were talking about President Clinton and Nick said something that pushed Tom off the deep end. It was almost scary.

Eddie wrote:Personally I quite like the guy, any time Ive seen him interviewed he came across as genuine.

That's because when he's interviewed, he's usually plugging a film. What you saw with Lauer was much, much closer to what he's like these days.

Eddie wrote:At his premieres he always takes the few hours needed to meet anyone in the crowd, sign autographs and have his picture taken with whoever wants it.

No star arrives a "few hours" before a film premiere. Cruise blows in a few minutes before the screening is to start and plays up to the audience in front of the Entertainment Tonight cameras. Yes, he does sign some autographs and smiles for pics but, trust me, it's all for the cameras. Don't be fooled by a great press agent.

Tom

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:42 pm

Im afraid Im not familiar with the interview you speak of, Im from Scotland, not the U.S. He is however doing the very thing I said right now at the M.I.3 Premier in London, its been showing on one of the Sky News digital channels. Its been showing live for some time now, my understanding is this has been the case for quite a few Premieres over here with him. [though this is the first to be broadcast] Any way, it would be boring if we all agreed.

as I type this he has been signing autographs etc for 2hrs 30 mins, the reporter from Sky says "unlike other stars who simply brush past the waiting crowds, Tom Cruise really does pay his dues."

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:37 pm

Wouldnt pay a nickel to see tom cruise in anything!!!!

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 pm

I just noticed it on TV and it's not fair. The placenta thing was an intentional joke.

Maybe once it started the adverse publicity was fair game. But now that we know people still persist in asking him these questions that they know will elicit a weird response. Then they get outraged or make sport of it. It's like dangling a bottle in front of the town drunk and then laughing or condemning when he takes it.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:09 pm

A friend of my girlfriend met Tom Cruise at some premier or something and she got him to call my girlfriend on her cell phone to say hi. Something he definitely didn't have to waste his time with. I thought that was pretty cool.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:12 pm

Eddie wrote:He is however doing the very thing I said right now at the M.I.3 Premier in London, its been showing on one of the Sky News digital channels. Its been showing live for some time now

My point exactly. It's called publicity for a new movie. Who do you think is paying for the coverage??

Tom

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:28 pm

He has starred in some of the most useless films ever.

But convince 1980s giddy teenage girls of that.

They actually pay to sit thru crap like Cocktail and TopGun and whatever else crap that Cruise has been in.

his Scientology devotion makes him even more of a stupid turd.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:33 pm

MI: III looks pretty good to me though!

That's a pretty cool story Tom! I'm still having my doubts that your really white trash enough to be a Elvis fan though! Beach Houses, Movie Stars!? lol No but seriously I want Tom Crusies autograph, on my Outsiders poster!

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:39 pm

All I can say is that Cruise has given a number of decent performances in movies I really enjoy. Risky Business, The Color of Money, Born On The 4th of July, The Last Samurai are the ones that come immediately to mind. He could've traded on his chick magnet persona, but instead he chose to become a decent actor by doing movies with veterans like Newman and Duval, and by taking on challenging roles that stretched him. So in that regard I respect him.

For at least the last 25 years of his life Brando was, ahem, decidedly eccentric (to put it mildly)!

Tom: Drinkin' with Nick Nolte? Has your liver ever forgiven you? :lol:

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:45 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Tom: Drinkin' with Nick Nolte? Has your liver ever forgiven you? :lol:

I kept having flashes of Nicks mugshot and hoping that Toms wasn't that bad!

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:52 pm

Jesse Garon wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:We Elvis fans should recognize this, and be at least somewhat sympathetic.

yeah but --- I've always liked Elvis. (Never liked Cruise)

That Katie Holmes has to be dingyiest airheaded starry-eyed star-struck concubine in celeb history.

Aw c'mon now Jesse. You're just jealous of Tom cuz he gets to launch the Cruise missile into Katie! :twisted: :lol:

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:56 pm

I don't like him that much, I think he is full of himself. I feel sorry for Katie, she deserves better than him.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:54 am

i actually enjoy his films quite a bit.

top gun, interview with the vampire, risky business, cocktail, jerry maguire, rain man, a few good men, the last samurai...just to name a few i very much enjoyed.